Main Menu

Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition (Volume 2) - 24th September 2024

Started by Dash Decent, 09 February, 2024, 12:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Nemesis the Warlock: The Definitive Edition (Volume 2) - Paperback, 192 pages, 24th September 2024

Long out of print, The Definitive Nemesis the Warlock collects one of the stand-out 2000 AD series and presents it in the best possible format for a comprehensive reading experience!

The Definitive series of the Nemesis the Warlock saga continues as Torquemada's crusade to destroy all alien life reaches the planet of the Goths, a species of alien which has modelled their culture on early twentieth-century Britain. Nemesis must team up with the Goth leader, the Ion Duke, to stop them being eradicated by Torquemada's army of Terminators.

Collecting the entire series in order, with the colour centre-spread pages reproduced in their original form, the Definitive collection of Nemesis the Warlock is the ultimate way to read one of the most important sci-fi sagas published in the pages of 2000 AD.

Written by Pat Mills (Marshal Law) and drawn by Kevin O'Neill (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and Bryan Talbot (Sandman, The Adventures of Luther Arkwright), this definitive series compiles the complete storyline in order.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

A somebody who already has the Titan editions from the 1980s, I was really pleased with the first volume in this series - looking forward to seeing Talbot's debut in this format.

sheridan

(Talbot's debut on Nem - had already done the Wages of Sin with Alan Moore a couple of years earlier).

karlos

It's a tough one but Talbot's tenure might be my very favourite Nemesis books.

Pure gothic sci-fi loveliness.

Le Fink

Quote from: karlos on 09 February, 2024, 01:37:29 PMIt's a tough one but Talbot's tenure might be my very favourite Nemesis books.

Pure gothic sci-fi loveliness.
Agree... he nailed that foggy, grimey Victorian look. And all that cross-hatching - don't think he ever bettered it, art-wise.
The first two episodes of Gothic Empire by Kev were still fab though - really crazy visuals. The prog must have been on a massive high at this point.
I've ordered the webshop special with the black and gold cover but... I love the cover on the regular version.

IndigoPrime

They're both really great takes, but I remember the visual whiplash at the time I first read it. I had no idea why the strip had gone from this oddball grotesque sci-fi madness to a much more grounded but horror-infused style.

hellscrape

I told myself the Heresies were "good enough." I breathed a slight sigh of relief when the first hardcover seemingly went out of print. Then I saw it available again, with volume 2 ready for pre-order.

I can only avoid temptation for so long. Torquemada's cries fell on deaf ears here. Now bring on volume 3!!!

IndigoPrime

Magnetica

I'm all in on the hardbacks for this.

Don't think I would be with much else, but the art, at least on the O'Neill and Talbot books is special.

For me O'Neill is the definitive Nemesis artist, but Talbot draws the definitive Torquemada. The way he gets expressions out of his helmet is just amazing.

IndigoPrime

I've bought the first few Nemesis books so many times. And I have the Hachette run. And I don't like the series much past book four or five. But... these look so shiny. I might have to be good. I'd like a couple of Apex Editions as well, and I can't afford everything. Something new, perhaps, beats something I already essentially have.

Richard

IndigoPrime

Ah. Looking at Barney and Wiki, I'm misremembering the numbers. I-IV: stone-cold classics. V–VI: still pretty great. Torquemada the God: OK. VII–XI: started bad for me, and then rapidly diminishing returns, despite some nice art. X: pretending it was a return to form, but not really.

I did really like Bride of the Warlock though. That had some magic to it. (Some aspects of VIII were solid too.)

TBF, I've not read these since the original Hachette release, and so opinions may have shifted. But the idea of spending another 170 quid on this series makes me feel a bit weird, not least given that that's slightly more than the current best price for the two Apex Editions I want...