Main Menu

Does My Figure look big in this?

Started by Trooper McFad, 09 April, 2021, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Happy New Year all Squaxx
Been working on my latest effort off and on since August. With the free time over Christmas and (requested) lockdown up here in Cal-Hab I've finally finished my version of "Kill-a-man" Jaroo. Who goes nicely with my Marshal Lawson as you will see below.

Jaroo was modelled from a toy "King Kong" bought off eBay and after a few adjustments to its stance, adding a waistcoat, hat, goggles and a shed load of hair around the fore arms and feet I was happy with the results. I again used my goto medium of milliput.

As usual I have posted pictures of Jaroo primed, base coated and finished. To give the scale of the two figures I have photographed them together and I think I have pretty much lucked out as they look good together. Sorry for all the pics.

I have 3 other projects slowly on the go so I should have them completed throughout the year.

Still waiting on fellow Squaxx to post their creations.

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

IAMTHESYSTEM

That is fantastic work—incredible talent.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Colin YNWA

I've just been to the shops and alas there's been a run on 'WOW's due to those, particularly Kill-a-man and I couldn't get any so I'm not able to say 'Wow' here. All I could get was a 'Those are incredible' so that will have to do.

Those are incredible!

Rogue Judge

Since the shops are out of WOW (from the makers of BOING I presume), I googled synonyms we could use here, I think they all apply! Synonyms:hooray, yippee, excellent, lovely, happily, good for​/​on someone, hallelujah, good, thank goodness​/​heaven(s)

So good on you Trooper, excellent work, those are lovely!

Jim_Campbell

Like the other posters, I'm struggling to find superlatives sufficient to the task. Fantastic work!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Thanks guys for the kind comments. It's good that others can appreciate the characters brought to a 3D format. In my house they are just looked upon as dust gathers 😂😂😂.

I'm quickly running out of space so have to think carefully when picking my next characters or I'll have to move some on or my boy out so I can get my own man cave.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 03 December, 2021, 06:11:16 PM
Thanks guys but my hope is that this thread would winkle out more model makers (amateurs like myself).

This board is full of talent from the short stories, Dread heads, sketches, Lego builds etc I can't believe I'm the only one trying his hand at model mashups!

Great work on the Lawless models.

I do like to convert miniatures, and nearly all of mine are Games Workshop kit (classic Warhammer and 40K). I hate the idea of two models in a squad being identical, so I do conversions to make them unique. I'm really bad at finding big blocks of painting time, though, so most of my work is either pre-undercoat or undercoated and gathering dust. Not the best things to show off - but I enjoy the process of Frankensteining the minis all the same. 

I have discovered that over-used blu-tac sort of decomposes over time - becoming both yucky smelling and terribly difficult to remove from the minis.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 January, 2022, 06:18:45 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 03 December, 2021, 06:11:16 PM
Thanks guys but my hope is that this thread would winkle out more model makers (amateurs like myself).

This board is full of talent from the short stories, Dread heads, sketches, Lego builds etc I can't believe I'm the only one trying his hand at model mashups!

Great work on the Lawless models.

I do like to convert miniatures, and nearly all of mine are Games Workshop kit (classic Warhammer and 40K). I hate the idea of two models in a squad being identical, so I do conversions to make them unique. I'm really bad at finding big blocks of painting time, though, so most of my work is either pre-undercoat or undercoated and gathering dust. Not the best things to show off - but I enjoy the process of Frankensteining the minis all the same. 

I have discovered that over-used blu-tac sort of decomposes over time - becoming both yucky smelling and terribly difficult to remove from the minis.

I too have a stack of Dredd mini's to paint but doing the small batch for the Christmas tree was fun adding the baubles and Santa hats.
I have the same feeling about having too many figures the same it means that you have to keep things consistent so a wee tweak here and there adds interest.
I'd like to see your tweaks as I'm always looking to pinch others ideas 😁.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

This Ork is from one of the older 40K boxed sets, where you got 18 Ork Boyz, but quite a lot of repeating melee weapons, guns and heads. There are three body types, so I set about making sure nobody had the same head, melee weapon or gun. This guy's one of my favorites:

- The snaggle-tooth head is from an Orc (i.e. the fantasy range).
- The right arm is from a spear-carrying Orc (I amputated the original Ork arm), but the spear tip was kind of stone age and tied on with twine, so I cut that off and replaced it with a spear-head from the Boar Boyz kit, which looks a bit more modern. Orks tend to go with big blades, axes and chainsaws - but I liked the idea of a mad throwback with a spear.
- The gun has been modified with the dangling ammo-belt, which I think is from a Chaos Marine Rhino sprue. (And I drilled out the gun barrel, of course.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 January, 2022, 06:46:52 AM
This Ork is from one of the older 40K boxed sets, where you got 18 Ork Boyz, but quite a lot of repeating melee weapons, guns and heads. There are three body types, so I set about making sure nobody had the same head, melee weapon or gun. This guy's one of my favorites:

- The snaggle-tooth head is from an Orc (i.e. the fantasy range).
- The right arm is from a spear-carrying Orc (I amputated the original Ork arm), but the spear tip was kind of stone age and tied on with twine, so I cut that off and replaced it with a spear-head from the Boar Boyz kit, which looks a bit more modern. Orks tend to go with big blades, axes and chainsaws - but I liked the idea of a mad throwback with a spear.
- The gun has been modified with the dangling ammo-belt, which I think is from a Chaos Marine Rhino sprue. (And I drilled out the gun barrel, of course.)

That's great Funt.
It's the ingenuity and imagination used I love. Making mini's to your own taste makes them more interesting.
I keep all my "cuttings/spares" just Incase I can use them on a future build.
Now you just have to get round to paint them 👍🏻😁.

Funt Solo

This guy has the same body as the previous one - he's retained his original right arm, but I cut off his hand so I could give him a different weapon. His gun has been modified with a chainsaw attachment (looted from a Space Marine) - if his chainsaw gets stuck in some tough enemy, he can just shoot them to bits. Then stab them.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Fantastic your army will look awesome- a ragtag bunch of kickass orcs

Trooper McFad

Well it's been a wee while since I completed my last figure.
But I've been a busy little bee working on 4 different figures at one time! The reason for this is I was using sculpty for the first time and it's wonderful stuff. But I didn't want to bake just one piece at a time. So I sculpted a couple of figures and add on bits for another couple I've been working on with milliput and are half finished so it made sense to do a batch baking to cure the sculpty.
First up is my version of the Gronk.
As always I have supplied "primed", "base" and "finished" photos.
I hope to have the next figure done in a couple of weeks.