Main Menu

Anyone watching Smallville?

Started by Dominic O'Rourke, 10 January, 2002, 06:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic O'Rourke

Tonights episode was a little better than the first 2/3  episodes. the baddie was more belvible, however the pure abundence of kryptonite in smallville seems a little over the top! I enjoy the Lex/Clark relationship, belivible so far.

but now harking back to a favorite topic of mine, but how Dredd needs to be altered for other mediums, film, anime, Dredd-on-ice, etc, this version of superman, is very different from any other form that we see Clark normally in, the DC comics go from strength to streangth, still their major character for over 60 years, yet the strength of the character that they own is his versitility for being rewritten, revamped, as necesary to keep a 60 year old character fresh, the comic has changed in the short 20 odd years i've been reading comics (you can see it with Flesh in the meg) but they are dated, the comic continues to bring in new readers for those older readers who are 'natural wastage' so to speak.

Heres a suggestion though, how about some dredd stories out of continuity1
Member No. 10

Anemic_Newt

I watched for the first time tonight. So I have no way of comparing it to previous episodes. However I did feel the series had a definite Dawson's Creek/Buffy/and Roswell feel to it. If this series has been/is successful I feel it just gives strength to my earlier comments that what we really want is a Judge Dredd series.
As far as updating the character I still recognise Clark as Superman that I read about in the comic books, and not a lot seems to have changed that dramatically changes the character of Clark/Superman from the stories in the comics about his Smallville years.
However - the changes that were made to Judge Dredd for the Stallone movie, and the proposd changes to the Judges system outlined by Shoreline (yes I know Jason has passed comment on this) for the new movies would be radically different - and as such the character that has consistently won "Best British Comic book character" for years would be almost unrecognisable, and nothing like the character and the setting that has been so successful. Remember when they changed the character so much for the Stallone movie they created a flop not just at the movies but it hardly had the commercial success that was wanted for the spin off products not just in the US but over here aswell.

Thread Zero

I think the Dredd film should retain certain essential elements of continuity from the comic.

The fact that Dredd rarely changes his character, his emotions are kept under check most of the time, justice dept is never replaced.

These key elements should not be altered I feel.

scojo

Thread Zero

Dredd hardly ever changes.
He is almost one dimensional unlike Batman, Superman etc.

This is the one fact the makers of the Stallone flick coulndn't accept.

So they tried emotion etc but it didn't work.

Don't forget even after the doubting Dredd of Necropolis, Dredd returned to the one dimensional character we know and love.

Face it, Dredd will never change, adapt, mature etc. He is the law and that's all he knows.

Tough luck Joe. Come back in your next life as a priest or summat!

scojo

paulvonscott

If I talk about the Dredd movie again, I'll explode.  No, don't tempt me...

Smallville is really tapping into that buffy/roswell audience that Dredd wouldn't reach.  And is a good example of how Superman and Batman do endlessly recycle themselves without losing sight of the original goals.

Having said that, and liking smallville, why does each episode have someone who is contaminated by kryptonite and gains super powers.  It's 4 out of 4 so far and quite frankly, a bit lame.

The Love Doctor

Not only does someone get contaminated by kryptonite and get super powers, but they also accidentally pick up that kryptonite necklace, allowing them the edge against CLark so they can throw him through a window.
Having said that, I prefer it to buffy/dawson/roswell, whatever, and that Lana Lane chick is the hottest lady I ever seen.

Doc the in-love doctor

paulvonscott

Yeah, this week makes it 5 out of 5 episodes someone has got powers from Kryptonite.  Ice man?  I was really looking forward to the show just to kill some time.  But now it's just going to annoy me.

I prefer the girl he doesn't fancy, she's much prettier, she looks a bit more real.  I think lana lang goes back into a kryptonite sellaphane wrapper at the end of every episode.

I even prefer the woman playing his mom, the Lana Lang from the movies, she still looks pretty good to me.

And the controversy reigns on!

The Love Doctor

Errr... yeah.
I guess that reporter chick is pretty nice too.
Pity Lana gave Clark such a shit reason for dating that guy she's seeing at the minute-
"Cos he's there for me" or some cap.
But CLark is beter looking! And he's got super stamina!!! Wah-bloody-Hey!
ANd isn't Lex Luther just the nicest smarmy guy in the world? Aw, lookit him.

Doc the bald-dude-admirer

paulvonscott

Yeah!  I really like Lex, he seems okay to me.  I think it's just a shame he has to become a bad guy at some point.  There is already the fact that he knows something is up with clark.  But as we've already seen five superhumans apart from clark, you can't understand what he is so worked up about.  Just bite on the kryptonite dude!

If you want to see some good stuff about superhero sex, watch Mallrats, a fun yet dumb movie.