Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2012, 07:05:01 PM
ALIEN

The other night, while i couldnt sleep due to my knackered shoulder, i thought i'd put this on- hadnt seen it in donkey's years.

Sad to say it bored the absolute tits off me. Not in the least scary, slow, drawn-out, with a boring script, and the usual camp hamming from ian holm and john hurt. Not a single scare that wasnt telegraphed in advance like a clumsy film student trying his hand at horror, 'cos it's easy, roight?'. Absolutely hated it.

SBT

Proof, to me, that you live in a parallel dimension where good is bad and bad is good.

Alien is my absolute favourite film of all time and is perfect in every way. There's no 'camp hamming' from anyone, each performance is subtle, restrained and naturalistic. The scares and uneasiness come from the atmosphere and the sense that there's nowhere to hide. Terror lurks round every corner on that claustrophobic ship.

Leave the good stuff to us film fans, you go off and watch Zombie Eye Gougers 14 - The Splattering by Fulccino Georgino.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Professor Bear

I don't like Alien that much, but it's a well-made film with a good pacing and solid performances, so I am not entirely sure what SBT was watching.  Possibly the diner scene from Spaceballs on a loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4&feature=related

Dandontdare

I think he's beyond medical help in this regard alas - he thinks The Godfather is crap too!

Professor Bear

So do I.  I found it to be a dull fairytale reinforcing the ludicrous notion of gangsters as honorable feudal lords rather than organised bullies with no more honor than a rattlesnake.

Dandontdare

yes, but told in an incredibly well made movie!

<gives up and stomps away muttering about philitsines....>

Sapperjack91

i watched 'Tucker and Dale vs Evil' for the first time last night, i thought that was quite funny!

hazy efc

Ive never seen 2001 but ive always wanted 2 so im gunna check it out 2night as 4 the last movie ive watched BLADE RUNNER the final cut 4 me as good as a film can get

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Tim Burton's Batman is an incredibly well made movie, but it's still a rotten one.

JamesC

In a bizarre coincidence I was going to start a thread about comic adaptations of films that are actually better than the films.
2 on my list would be Jack Kirby's 2001 (not necessarily better but I'd rather read the comic than watch the film) and the Batman movie adaptation that has some really nice art and moves at a faster pace than the dull film.
I also have a special place in my heart for the Robocop 2 adaptation - mainly because it was all I had to read on a childhood family holiday and I studied each page for hours!

Back on topic - the last movie I watched was Troll Hunter which I really enjoyed. Lovely creature design - very traditional nordic look to the trolls and reminiscent of Jim Henson creature design in many ways.
I've found that I really like the 'found footage' type of film - I don't think I've seen one that I haven't found entertaining. It seems like a really efficient way of catapulting the audience into the story.

SmallBlueThing

Yes, exactly- 'found footage' is a shortcut to the kind of immediacy other films waste too much time on traditional script trying to acheive. As an alternative to the method of filmmaking perfected across the decades, it sits well with me and i confess that the promise of potentially a good one is always far more exciting to me than a movie filmed traditionally. For all the cinema verite of the original Night of the Living Dead, can you imagine its impact had it been shot hand-held?

As for 2001 (incidentally where this thread started), i'd love the opportunity to read marvel's adaption and continuation, but the comics are both rare and pricey. Do you know if it's been collected, or reprinted in uk weeklies (and therefore cheaper to get nowadays)?

SBT

Spikes

Quote from: Professah Byah on 05 July, 2012, 04:53:10 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2012, 04:15:02 PM

Tim Burton's Batman is an incredibly well made movie, but it's still a rotten one.

You could say that for nearly all of Tim Burton's films.

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 July, 2012, 06:24:13 PMAs for 2001 (incidentally where this thread started), i'd love the opportunity to read marvel's adaption and continuation, but the comics are both rare and pricey. Do you know if it's been collected, or reprinted in uk weeklies (and therefore cheaper to get nowadays)?

SBT

It's legal-limbo tosh like this that convinced me to get a cheap-ass ereader.  I will grudgingly admit that for this purpose it has been most useful.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 05 July, 2012, 04:53:10 PM

Is it well made? Burton can't direct a narrative to save his life, never could.

JamesC

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 July, 2012, 06:24:13 PM
Yes, exactly- 'found footage' is a shortcut to the kind of immediacy other films waste too much time on traditional script trying to acheive. As an alternative to the method of filmmaking perfected across the decades, it sits well with me and i confess that the promise of potentially a good one is always far more exciting to me than a movie filmed traditionally. For all the cinema verite of the original Night of the Living Dead, can you imagine its impact had it been shot hand-held?

As for 2001 (incidentally where this thread started), i'd love the opportunity to read marvel's adaption and continuation, but the comics are both rare and pricey. Do you know if it's been collected, or reprinted in uk weeklies (and therefore cheaper to get nowadays)?

SBT

I don't think it has which is a shame. Lots of Marvel's 70's output seems to have soared in value in the last few years. 10-15 years ago ROM, Logan's Run, 2001 or New Universe comics were worth hardly anything - there used to be a local market stall with box loads of these types of comics going for about 5p each, now I kick myself for not buying the lot!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 July, 2012, 06:24:13 PM

SBT

The treasury sized movie adaptation is pricey but the follow-up issues can be tracked down an a reasonable price (well depending on what you call reasonable) and are some of my favourite 70 Kirby issues, well the first 7 issue pre Machine Man (which are fine and all but not as good) issues. well worth looking for.