Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: sauchie on 08 March, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 March, 2014, 09:08:32 AM
GRAVITY I saw it, and it was good. The most tense film I've seen since Jaws, if not ever. Can't recommend it enough. Stunning FX - I wonder if I'll see it in 10 years and think, "how could I have been so impressed with this?"

Depends what you mean. The effects are doing something understated and naturalistic, so I don't think they'll date quite as badly as pixel work on fantastical stuff like T2 and The Matrix. The sweaty palm tension, followed by palpable relief, of the bits where Bullock can't ... quite ... reach the handle which is all that stands between her and spinning off into the frozen emptiness of infinite space works in the same way as good stuff like the sequence in Misery where James Caan is trying to crawl around Kathy Bates's house before she gets back from the shops.

That never gets old.

Gravity was one of those films that had a lot of hype around its release and I can see why some people came away a bit disappointed.  I thought it was great and really enjoyed it.  Like Sauchie mentioned, it is very naturalistic and whilst I know there is still some artistic license going on, it looks and behaves like real space ( or how I understand it to be).  Given that it does look so realistic, I think the effects will stand the test of time better than T2.

Goaty

The Hangover Part 3

I was catch up some SKY Movies at parents at weekend. As I enjoy first film, 2nd was sort of repetitive of first film, and this film I didn't chuckle once. Was it should be comedy?

Hawkmumbler

The Hanghover Trilogy is the single worst thing to ever grace my eyeballs. Shame on me for giving either the second or third the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, i'm not saying I can't understand what people see in any of them, they are simple enough comedies, but their nasty streak manifested in a number of horrible scenes just completely turns me off them.

Professor Bear

I got 45 minutes into the first one and decided it wasn't for me as I hadn't laughed once.  Everything I've seen of the sequels just looks obnoxious and painful.

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to watching Tank Girl this week. What a chaotic mess of a film that is... though of course that might be the point? Missed me if it was.

Anyway was wondering what the general consensus was? I know it was panned when it came out (and apparently brought the demise if Deadline?) but has developed a bit of a cult following I've since read?

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 March, 2014, 06:19:57 AM
Finally got around to watching Tank Girl this week. What a chaotic mess of a film that is... though of course that might be the point? Missed me if it was. Anyway was wondering what the general consensus was? I know it was panned when it came out (and apparently brought the demise if Deadline?) but has developed a bit of a cult following I've since read?

I watched about ten minutes of it, but I couldn't tell you what happened in them. Deadline was already well past its sell-by date by the time the film was released.

sheldipez

Took my middle child to see the Lego Movie with some of his mates on Sun; nee terrible modern versions of pop songs, nee talking animals or constant fart gags, animation doesn't like exactly the same as every other kids animated movie, even the love story is ok cos its a batman threeway, very smart movie, its essentially the opposite of a dreamworks film.

Will be purchasing for "the kids" when it hits blu, think the wife and i laughed more than the kids.

shaolin_monkey

I watched Gravity again in 3D on my 3D telly.  It looked absolutely perfect - no ghosting, crisp 3D and almost as spectacular as the 3D on the big screen. 

Although the script is still a bit twee every now and again [spoiler](the dead kid device makes me roll my eyes every time) [/spoiler]I have definitely *chokes down vitriol* warmed to Sandra Bullock's performance.

The drama and tension is excellent, and I absolutely adore the special effects, particularly when [spoiler]the ISS is taken out.[/spoiler]

Yeah, definitely a recommended 3D blu-ray.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: sauchie on 10 March, 2014, 06:55:10 AM
Finally got around to watching Tank Girl this week. What a chaotic mess of a film that is... though of course that might be the point? Missed me if it was. Anyway was wondering what the general consensus was? I know it was panned when it came out (and apparently brought the demise if Deadline?) but has developed a bit of a cult following I've since read?

I watched about ten minutes of it, but I couldn't tell you what happened in them. Deadline was already well past its sell-by date by the time the film was released.

Me and the missus have a bit of a soft spot for it, it's a total mess and an absolute shambles of a film but it's a fun enough mess to still have some charm I think. She certainly liked it enough to hunt down and read through the comics which doesn't happen often (I could never quite get into them).

My feelings might be coloured somewhat by how utterly incredible I think Lori Petty looks in the movie as Tank Girl, one of my movie crushes for the ages. Swoon.

HdE

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 March, 2014, 02:40:53 PM

My feelings might be coloured somewhat by how utterly incredible I think Lori Petty looks in the movie as Tank Girl, one of my movie crushes for the ages. Swoon.

Yeah, where the heck did she go, eh? I think her career amounts to Keanu' GF in Point Break, that, abd the almost-sidekick to the guy from Thirtysomething in Brimstone.

Always  thought she had a lot of personality.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

pictsy

Finally got around to watching Tank Girl this week. What a chaotic mess of a film that is... though of course that might be the point? Missed me if it was.

Anyway was wondering what the general consensus was? I know it was panned when it came out (and apparently brought the demise if Deadline?) but has developed a bit of a cult following I've since read?

Tank Girl is a pretty poor film that still manages to be fun in places. 

It was apparently a massive disappointment to Martin and Hewlett, who hated the choice of Lori Petty as Tank Girl iirc.  My favourite parts are the animations and I reckon it would have been a better choice to animate the whole film.

I sought out the DVD for it after reading the original run in TP knowing that the quality is reputed to be very low and I don't regret it.  The soundtrack is pretty good, certainly better than the film itself (it was my brothers copy of said soundtrack that made me aware of the film).

My better half really likes the film.

Frank

Quote from: pictsy on 11 March, 2014, 11:18:09 AM
It was apparently a massive disappointment to Martin and Hewlett, who hated the choice of Lori Petty as Tank Girl iirc.

I can't remember H&M saying anything about Petty after it was released, but Hewlett was trying to get Emily Lloyd for the lead role prior to filming. Lloyd refused to shave her head, and Petty was a last minute replacement.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: pictsy on 11 March, 2014, 11:18:09 AM

Tank Girl is a pretty poor film that still manages to be fun in places. 

It was apparently a massive disappointment to Martin and Hewlett, who hated the choice of Lori Petty as Tank Girl iirc.  My favourite parts are the animations and I reckon it would have been a better choice to animate the whole film.

I sought out the DVD for it after reading the original run in TP knowing that the quality is reputed to be very low and I don't regret it.  The soundtrack is pretty good, certainly better than the film itself (it was my brothers copy of said soundtrack that made me aware of the film).

My better half really likes the film.

Yes, it was, I guess.....I used to read the comic....although I only one of them and it wasn't even a graphic novel........it had a lot of interesting stuff..........like The Big Rod Prince of Darkness.........Those little animals...the Koala Bear......forget it's name......the other mutant roo's and then one of my close aquaintances whom I used to live with in a rented house noticed it and start buying a lot of her graphic novels himself and then we learn about more things like her the hat she wore for taking a dump in. No of those things made it into the movie. It seems mitigated now.....although, I thought it was okay when I first saw it.

Now what was I doing......

I was very busy playing Red Dead Redemption yesterday after starting on it the night before, continuing on towards the mission [spoiler]"Liars, Cheats and other proud American's (It was about a Horse Cart race.) which took me quite a while to beat and I had to just put the controller down and sleep on it for the night and resumed early next morning where I eventually beat it and then I played on until I got to the mission The Sport of Kings and Liars... (I forget the rest of what that mission was called.)......which was about a horse race. I soon beat that one too. It was slightly easier than the other race, but John's trusty old horse kept throwing me more often than I could bear it. Anyway, I had progressed as far as the mission where they John and his motley crew found took the big gatling gun out to Fort Mercer and used it, but then I think the story continues in Mexico where the guy they were really after has apparently got to. Sorry, if I'm spoiling the story for anybody, but think nearly everybody has completed this game here. I still think I might add spoilers here, just in case. Anyway, before doing any more missions.  I decided to continue with completing some challenges.   

Collecting six Desert Sage

Collecting Four Red Sage

Shooting and skinning two wild boars and three armadillos.

Then I completed the missions where John had to find a lost horse and help a man relocate from Gaptooth-Ridge to Benedict Point. Though, they weren't really missions, but they were listed as something else in John's Journal.

Now, I have stopped playing for now right before doing the mission where John has to meet some guy at a crator and rescue some guy named Floyd. It involves going into the mine to find some treasure, I think. I have attempted it twice, and got shot after being a bit too careless.[/spoiler]

I might have posted this in the wrong place, since it's a game, but it's also a beautiful movie and the cut scenes. Three of which occurred while my father interrupted. But that's all I'll say about that.

It should be a film....really.

Tiplodocus

WARM BODIES
A zombie rom-com. The ending was always going to be [spoiler]love conquers all (but interestingly, it implies that lack of love causes it all)[/spoiler] so you have to go in with that as your starting point but it's an enjoyable romp - gathering half smiles rather than outright laughs. The Boneys never look convincing but isn't Nicholas Hoult fabulous? 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 March, 2014, 12:46:05 PM
WARM BODIES
A zombie rom-com. The ending was always going to be [spoiler]love conquers all (but interestingly, it implies that lack of love causes it all)[/spoiler] so you have to go in with that as your starting point but it's an enjoyable romp - gathering half smiles rather than outright laughs. The Boneys never look convincing but isn't Nicholas Hoult fabulous?

I saw that film and wasn't a little disappointed however well made it was. It was the happy ending that ruined it.