Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

CD3 of Ginger Wildheart's 555% triple album.
More eclectic rocksperimentation from the Wildhearts' mainman. Going by the previous two weeks'  releases, it'll take a few listens before I get a proper handle on this. Lots of odd stylistic detours and mashups here - possibly bit of a culture shock if you go in expecting anything remotely Wildhearts-esque.

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Judo

Ennio Morricone, win! public enemy and ministry, win! but i agree with mudcrab that psalm69 cannot be beaten and they have never quite recaptured the glory. checmical bros, weekend win! Suicidal Tendencies, win! god they take me back <3 still sound best on cassette. I saw them play again in the past couple years doing an early day slot on a small stage at a music festival. napalm death + pogo-ing + ice poles = win. oh how my friends dismayed. Discordant, win! excessive use of the word win, fail! ;P

All the rest I shall have to get on the urm... entirely legal... downloads and gi them a proper bash.

At this exact moment in time.... The Birthday Party - She's Hit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RI-07nm8o I absolutely love this track and The Birthday Party in general. I feed the Bad Seeds a little boring in comparison to this raw, anguish. Although I confess the Bad Seeds are still better than most music out there, to me its like Nick Cave's 'rents told him to have a wash and get a real job or he had to move out the attic. I am loving Nick Cave's current band Grinderman who sound pretty much exactly like a cross between The Birthday Party and The Bad Seeds imho. 'No Pussy Blues' being a particular gem and defo worth a listen at least once. This is a Later...jools holland version, fantastic 'tasche  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuDP7c3Zd8I

last fm - JudoBowie. But it only scrobbles stuff thats labelled properly, unfortunately no cassettes x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

SKD

Bruce Springsteen: The Collection 1973-84 Box Set. Playing through the set chronologically as I'm working.

Stew.

JayzusB.Christ

Mainly Joy Division and The Smiths (after becoming a bit obsessed after doing a mural some some Manc lad a couple of months ago - I'm a bit upset with myself, Morrissey being such a poncing great gimp), and some old punk stuff.  Also the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and old rave stuff like Utah Saints and the KLF.

Only now do I realise that Zenith was a Smiths fan - I knew he was into Suede, but I only found out recently he was singing the Queen Is Dead to himself at the start of Phase 2.  The hair should have given it away I suppose.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Roger Godpleton

I got the Willis Earl Beal record because the internet told me to and it's really good.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mardroid

What am I listening too? I've been listening regularly to Electric Dreams. Not intentionally, it kept popping up in an Electricity advert with this little nobbly yellow thing* bobbing side to side to the music while simultaneously pleasuring itself on various electrical appliances, although that's probably my dirty mind.

What is slightly worrying is I find the song quite catchy.

*What is it supposed to be? I thought it might be a duck to start with but then noted the absence of beak.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 April, 2012, 12:59:58 PM
Only now do I realise that Zenith was a Smiths fan - I knew he was into Suede, but I only found out recently he was singing the Queen Is Dead to himself at the start of Phase 2.  The hair should have given it away I suppose.
You can construct your own Zenith soundtrack using the contents of the "Next Prog" boxes in Phase 1.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 April, 2012, 03:53:08 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 April, 2012, 12:59:58 PM
You can construct your own Zenith soundtrack using the contents of the "Next Prog" boxes in Phase 1.

True, I forgot about that. Though the only one I recognised at the time was Bad by Michael Jackson.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing

I would be listening to Jethro Tull's new album, 'Thick as a Brick 2'... If, that is, anywhere id gone to this morning had stocked a copy. Grump grump.

SBT

Greg M.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 10 April, 2012, 06:22:18 PM
I would be listening to Jethro Tull's new album, 'Thick as a Brick 2'... If, that is, anywhere id gone to this morning had stocked a copy. Grump grump.

Going to see Ian Anderson and co. this week: he's playing all of 'Thick as a Brick' and then all of 'Thick as a Brick 2', back to back apparently. Can't wait... the former is one of my favourite records.

SmallBlueThing

Excellent greg, hope it's good. Id love to see tull live- and id love to get the new album, when shops let me!

SBT

exilewood

I used to love Jethro Tull. I saw them live in Manchester, on acid, in 1992 & it was great. They had a coal-fired organ.
I hadn't heard there was to be a 'Thick as a Brick 2', interesting prospect! 'Minstrel in the Gallery' was always my favourite.

Aonghus

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 23 March, 2012, 10:02:17 PM
I seem to have become hipster scum

Welcome to the club young chap.

"Lo! The pretty ladiez!!!"
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mudcrab

Listening to Yob's The Unreal Never Lived on lovely white ltd ed. vinyl. Bonus track, which is actually on youtube so I'll post it for those who'll appreciate it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0n1hPn2I4

Sad that I'm not at Roadburn in Holland right now, they were playing this in full last night, along with Voivod playing all of Dimension Hatross, Yob playing Catharthis tomorrow night. Full lineup for the weekend...

http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2012/lineup/

I am most definitely going next year, check this fucking news out...

http://www.roadburn.com/2012/04/electric-wizards-jus-oborn-to-curate-2013-roadburn-festival/

"I am planning the ultimate ELECTRIC ACID ORGY...its gonna be sick...only the heaviest, most evil drugmetal possible and we will bring our mind altering light show and visuals. Also we are gonna have a room showing all our favourite horror and sleaze movies...Roadburn 2013 is gonna be a real 'bad' trip ...hahahahaha."

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!