Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 September, 2012, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 September, 2012, 11:53:28 AM
The loner-archetype v establishment-figure impediment is not convincing to me because of the surprising reactions I've observed from the US.

All fair points, Joe, but don't go very far to explain the wider failure of Dredd to gain traction in the US despite two films with radically different approaches to the subject matter, a computer game, a range of comics by one of the country's two biggest publishers and a reprint programme splashing some of the biggest names in US comics across the covers.
There's something here that seems more fundamental, to me.

Is Dredd any more popular in the US than worldwide? We're focusing on the US because it's a bigger market but how popular is Dredd in France or Japan?

I don't think Dredd would have a wide reaching audience appeal anywhere but the wildly variant quality and 'schizophrenic' nature of the stuff that's been peddled for the US before now didn't help to promote the character.

Practically every version of Dredd that's been sold to them is inconsistent with another: Eagle/Quality reprint, '95 film, DC version, Case Files, the new film etc.

Over time I think we'll be surprised to find that the one decent and relatively consistent representation of the character we now have on film will actually increase the popularity and awareness of the character in the US.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: BPP on 30 September, 2012, 12:06:11 PM
I can never understand that specific 'the trailer looked shvt' argument re Dredd. I thought the trailer looked great and was representative of the movie.

We're fans though, any bit of moving footage with Dredd and Lawmaster bikes will please us. You need to see it from the perspective an audience who know nothing. You can't sell them a 'Judge Dredd' film. You need to sell it as a film they'll enjoy.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 September, 2012, 12:17:37 PM
Is Dredd any more popular in the US than worldwide? We're focusing on the US because it's a bigger market but how popular is Dredd in France or Japan?

Surely, the US is the natural place to focus because 1) the strip is set there, and 2) the books don't need translating?

If there have been efforts to push Dredd in France or Japan, I'd be genuinely interested to know they've turned out. I'm curious about the US because it would so clearly seem to be a natural fit but, on the face of it, appears to be remarkably resistant to Ol' Stony Face's charms.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Are we not expecting too much though?

Personally I think there's a large enough audience for Dredd in the US - and globally - but not of the kind that elevates it to Batman status. All Punisher films adehere to the Loner/vigilante trope yet they all failed, regardless of quality.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 September, 2012, 12:34:58 PM
If there have been efforts to push Dredd in France or Japan,

On a side note, the film isn't even released in France and won't be as fas I know. Japan, I've yet to hear.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 September, 2012, 12:43:35 PM
Are we not expecting too much though?

I suspect a large chunk of this, now that you mention it!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Michaelvk

Sad to think that Dredd 3D doesn't get theatrical release in Japan, while Starship troopers 3 did.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

It's also unfortunate that there's no proper place in the theatre-market for mid-budget action films. Not every film is suited to make most of its money within a box-office month.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Michaelvk

radiator

According to a mate of mine in Japan, Dredd isn't getting a theatrical release there.

darnmarr

orinAGN

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 September, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
Blimey, don't know how you all missed that! It's clearly Anderson walking away, helmet under left arm, toward a group of bikes, with other Judges standing around. It's right at the end, just before a Judge goes roaring off up the motorway.

Apparently there are different cuts of the movie?

I've read some posts where a lot of the violence was edited out.  Black screens and cutaways with the gunshot noises.
Also apparently songs playing over the credits, where I know when I saw it, there were no songs, only more of the musical score.

Any chance he saw a different cut, that didn't that scene?

I don't remember it in my theater either.  It ends with Dredd giving his monologue.  I don't remember the camera ever cutting away from Dredd, after seeing Anderson walk past the medic.

orinAGN