Chief Judges

Started by Pagangirl, 11 August, 2002, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Poor Dave. I miss him.

He was a good mayor.

- Trout

2000AD Online

With regard to who was Chief Judge and when depends on which version of Dredd continuity one adheres to. Originally, Fargo died in 2051 but 'Oz' implies he lived beyond the Atomic Wars (2070).

2000AD Online

Hokay, here goes:

Council of Five (original):

Eustace Fargo (Chief Judge): b. 2001 / d. 2051
-- 'The Day The Law Died' (Prog 108: Fargo's tomb)

Council of Five (revised post-2071):

Eustace Fargo (Chief Judge)
Morton Judd (Deputy Chief Judge / Tek Division)
-- 'Oz' (Prog ?: flashback)

Council of Five:

Solomon (Chief Judge: 2051 - 2058)
-- Judge Dredd Annual (1984)
-- The Judge Dredd RPG
-- (Prog verification?)

Council of Five:

Clarence Goodman (Chief Judge: 2058 - 2101)
>> 'The Day The Law Died' (Prog 89: caption)
Cal (Deputy Chief Judge / SJS: c. 2101)
Rex (c. 2101)
Quincy (c. 2101)
-- 'Crime And Punishment' (Prog 86)

Council of Five:

Griffin (Chief Judge: 2101 - 2104)
Pepper (Deputy Chief Judge / Tutor: 2101 - 2103)
>> 'Any Confessions?' (Prog 201)
McGruder (SJS)
Ecks (Psi Division)
Quimby (Accounts)
-- 'Block War' (Prog 182)

Council of Five:

McGruder (Chief Judge: 2104 - 2109)
Creed (Deputy Chief Judge)
Renbow
Shenker (Psi Division)
Herpert (Tek Division)
-- 'A Chief Judge Resigns' (Prog 457)

Council of Five

Thomas Silver (Chief Judge / Tutor: 2109 - 2112)
Grimlet (Street Judge)
Barbara Hershey (Street Judge)
Shenker (Psi Division)
Brufen (Tek Division)
-- 'A Chief Judge Resigns' (Prog 457)

I stopped reading not long after 'Necropolis' so I have no idea how Hadrien Volt et al fit into the equation.

Pagangirl

Now I know Dredd never wants to be CJ as it would take him of his streets, but why is he not at least on the council of the five?  Given Hershey's relationship with him, and the fact he is the most senior, respected, feared and famous judge (whose mere approach causes wrongdoers to go out in a blaze of glory cf Citizen Sump), I thought he was there.  I mean would any judge not defer to Dredd's advice in any situation?  Or is Dredd becoming more a 'power behind the throne', could we imagine anyone taking over from Hershey without JD's blessing?  Could anyone become a functioning CJ without Dredd's permission?  These are serious questions that we should know the answer to, either that or these are silly questions asked by a comic book geekette and should be ignored, your choice lol.

Oddboy

No that's a very interesting question...
CJ's take advice from Dredd over the advice of their council quite often (the most obvious perhaps being in the aftermath of The Judge Child Quest where the CJ overruled the councils wish to return to fetch Owen).

Dredd doesn't want to be on the council (they have to spend time discussing many trivial matters that don't often get shown ('cause they're too dull).  Dredd only turns up for the important stuff.
Better set your phaser to stun.

John Caliber

There are a few erros in the chief judge timeline given earlier in this group:

CHIFE JUDGE FARGO
Duration: 2032-2071

CHIEF JUDGE SOLOMON
2071-2072

CHIEF JUDGE GOODMAN
Duration: 2072-2101

The Mongoose JDRPG has presented a new and definitive timeline authorised by Rebellion, straightening out the errors from the older comics. The timeline in the 2000AD 1984 annual was always unofficial, based as it was on fanfic.

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

GordonR

All Chief Judges should have the following tattoed in reverse on their foreheads, so that it's the first thing they see every morning when they look in the mirror.

Here it is:

'HEY, STUPID.  DON'T FORGET - DREDD IS ALWAYS, *ALWAYS* RIGHT.'

Or does anyone want to start counting the number of Mega City One disasters that would have been averted if only the Chief Judge in office at the time hadn't ignored Dredd's opinion?

Oddboy

2000AD Online

Errors? H'mm. I did ask for prog verification re: Solomon's tenure as Chief Judge in my previous post. However, all the dates I used have been taken from 2000 AD itself, hence the brackets with Prog numbers.

For example:

Eustace Fargo: b. 2001 / d. 2051 (Prog 108: Fargo's tomb)

I did, in fact, say continuity had been revised, stating that 'Oz suggests Fargo lived beyond the Atomic War'.

I must say, when I browsed through the new Dredd RPG companion I was a little perplexed by the changes to Dredd's timeline. IIRC, the companion states Rico's twenty-year Titan sentence begins in the 2080s rather than 2079 as apparent from 'The Return of Rico' (Prog 30).

Then again, I stopped reading 2000 AD soon after 'Necropolis', so I wouldn't know what, if any, continuity has been change since.

It might be for this reason I was left scratching my head after reading your version of Dredd's timeline in the RPG companion.

Oddboy

I wouldn't reccomend thinking about it too hard.  Brains have melted under less pressure.

Pagangirl

***If democracy is good enough for the Judges, why isn't it good enough for the Cits? And didn't we see a reference to an elected counciler a prog or so back? Is democracy making a sneaky comeback in the big meg, is JD going to be happy about it, is this a plot line yet to come, should danger mouse have a strip in 2000AD?***

Hah, I knew that this democracy fad had life left in it, told you it would cause trouble, now will our rebel blocks form an alliance with the Sov cits to ease their troubles?

And when will Danger mouse save the day, a banzia battalion/Danger mouse crossover anyone?

John Caliber

It might be for this reason I was left scratching my head after reading your version of Dredd's timeline in the RPG companion.

I wish I could clarify the reasons for the continuity revisions, but as it was written 7 months agao and I've since written 4 more RPG books since then, my memory is understandably vague. However, Rebellion have okayed it - take that how you will :)

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Wake

I've just created a Chief Judge list in the Dredd Zone. Corrections/additions welcome, but I'll think I'll ask John Wagner about the date clash for Fargo and Solomon.

Wake

Link: Chief Judges

Proudhuff

BRING BACK DAVE!!

the campaign starts here, if they can clone a clown like Dredd, surely the mighty Dave is a piece o cake?

Dave Zone.
DDT did a job on me

Dudley

So MC-1 is established by the year 2032?  Isn't it about time that someone discovered a "missing" century or 2 between Dredd's time and ours, in order to keep those amusing references to our own time in there?