Main Menu

2000 AD Online - New site teething tome

Started by VinceBot, 25 August, 2009, 11:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VinceBot

With a new respectable front page and the index back up, we can expect some teething problems and future updated to be needed.

Please report any issues (inaccuracies, additions) with the vaults data in the "2000 AD Online - Vault Database Issues" thread.

Known Issues

Firstly here's some stuff that is implemented but doesn't work right.

• Some of the data isn't entirely correct. Unfortunately these issues are the least likely to get fixed as there are so many, and don't affect the sites functionality.
  • Clicking on "Interrogation" links doesn't take you anywhere. They lack an associated series, thus appear broken.
  • Clicking one a letter in the progs or megs view, to filter the progs and megs by title, reduces the list to zero results. This is because the data (titles) does not exist currently.
  • List of Character and Series appearances inside stories is extremely limited. More data needed.

Missing Features

Next up is all the stuff I can think of off the top of my head that needs to be done at some point, but currently hasn't even been looked at.

• Graphic Novels and other Reprints data and their associated pages are non-existant
  • Series View doesn't list creators of that series
  • Series View doesn't list appearances of the Series on Covers
  • Series View doesn't list appearances of the Series in stories
  • Text items, such as interrogations and reviews, can't be viewed or have had their links broken and are disassociated with their relevant prints.
  • Reducing all the lists from showing every result to showing, say, 10 results, with a "more" link to view the entire list.
  • Creators View doesn't show the Series they've created, when credited for a series.
  • Next and Previous buttons on a Prog and Meg View pages

So yes, lots to do, a lot of data still to convert. If you think you've come across an original issue with the site, feel free to post about it and I'll see what I can do.

w3bz

Adding to the list

All browers
Some issues with various pages displaying unnecssary characters where things don't exist

IE6
Still needs working on

Mobile Platform
There will be a new subdomain for mobile platforms including gaming platforms which will include RSS feeds, forum feeds and news updates for those wanting to access information from the likes of iPhone, blackberry, mobile, ps3, 360 etc etc

uncle fester

Oooh all new and shiny. Works ok on iPhone too so farbut I haven't delved very deep as yet. Good work!

Grant Goggans

VinceBot, do you want us to list issues with the data (story titles, original appearances, etc) in this thread, or in something separate.  That's the sort of thing I can contribute the most to helping with.

Bolt-01

Webz- How do we go about updating creator info?

Cause I've got a lettering credit and I'm on the Dbase and 'ting but there is nowt there...

VinceBot

I'll make a new thread for reporting data issues, and a precedue for reporting any issues you come across. I expect there to be a lot of problems as the database conversion process wasn't as smooth as I'd have liked.

Edit:

Here it is, a thread for posting all the database issues you come across.
http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26013.0.html

Minkyboy

Should the ad on the front read,

"Subscribe now! And receive AN exclusive droid life poster" ?

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

VinceBot

w3bz

lol that'd be R1F4 then...silly broken droid.

Dandontdare

Not sure if this should be in the vault section, but it's not strictly the vault - The Characters index seems to be a rather confused mix of characters and series titles. If looking for something specific under either heading there are large gaps - I wanted to find out the difference between Bad City Blue and Second City Blues the other night, but couldn't find either). "Judge Silver" and "The Sisters of Death" are listed individually under S, but "Sinister Dexter" only appear there as one entry, nothing under "Ramone" or "Dexter". Many individual judges appear under their last name, but under S you'll find "SJS Judge Ishmael", and "The Mind of Wolfie Smith" is under M. Some entries such as "Character Montage" and "TV film tie in" suggest these are mainly just cover listings arranged alphabetically.

Any plans to re-integrate the much more comprehensive Barney data back into the site? Also a search function that allows you to specify story/character/writer/artist would be nice.

VinceBot

Whole bunch of stuff there which is on the todo list.

Our setup already uses the Barney data, heavily refactored into a more rigid database structure. The Barney data has an unfortunate issue where both "characters" and "series" are technically the same thing, with no way to effectively differentiate between the two.

I've tried some automated separation of characters and series, and we had the 2000ad guys attempt to mark up which are which, but theres still plenty of overlap and missing items.

These are just things that are going to need to be fixed as time goes on, extras added and some community input taken. We're still in the process of trying to convert all the Barney data into the new structure, and this is why we're missing Graphic Novels, Reprints, etc.

Odd_Bloke

Might it be worth stickying a thread containing your current TODO list, so people can (theoretically) check that before posting?

VinceBot

Its supposed to be at the start of this thread?

Odd_Bloke

Dandontdare

Quote from: Odd_Bloke on 03 September, 2009, 01:15:07 PM
    Quote from: VinceBot on 03 September, 2009, 08:23:23 AM
    Its supposed to be at the start of this thread?

>.<

I suck.

Me too! I actually checked that post but somehow missed this bit:
    Quote from: VinceBot on 25 August, 2009, 11:14:36 PM
    • List of Character and Series appearances inside stories is extremely limited. More data needed.