Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Alex Jones' INFO WARS 'reviews' DREDD

Stan

What's odd is that he did say in his Dark Knight review that there'd be violence related to it*, and there has been some weird connections to Dark Knight and recent shootings (Aurora and the Sandy Hook map thing).

I'm not even saying there's anything to it. It's just...strange.

*I don't recall if he specifically said mass shootings and can't be arsed re-watching the 10 minutes vid.

The Legendary Shark

Don't mention the Volgans...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

A Frenchman, a German and a Ugandan are all being held without trial in the same cupboard at Guantanamo Bay. During a break between waterboarding sessions, conversation turns to why each of them had been arrested in the first place.

"Well," begins the Frenchman in a perfectly normal French accent which is neither stereotypical or amusing, "I chained my bicycle to a lamp-post outside a bank while I went for a wee and the authorities thought that my bike was a bomb."

"I also needed a wee," adds the German in an entirely natural and not at all satirical Dussledorf lilt, "but in my case I accidenally left a few stray droplets on the floor of the urinal, which the authorities mistook for a chemical attack."

"I cannot tell you why I was arrested," the Ugandan says in an accent I'm not even going to attempt to describe, "because even if what happened to me is gut-bustingly funny this will be seen as a racist joke and the underlying commentry concerning the on-going Nazification of governments around the globe will be lost."

"Get stuffed, you Ugandan pillock," says the Frenchman.

"Don't you talk to him like that," ejaculates the German.

"Shut yer pie-holes or I'll beat the lot of you senseless," orders the American guard with an accent like two drunken hookers vomiting into a toaster.

"And you, my son, are banned," said the British internet message board administrator.

I'll get me coat... 
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Molch-R

That probably took a while to type. Just think of all the life-affirming things you could otherwise have done with the time...

IAMTHESYSTEM

If Physics has killed Philosophy with it's determinist view of reality; all things come from that which came before and therefore we effect nothing about the Universe, since our actions are all pre destined should we accept that or 'rise against' it even though this attempt to do so is itself a pre destination and unavoidable reaction to the aforementioned determinism?

We might have a social revolution altering the current freemarket dominated society we live in but will this merely install a new Elite who claim to work in the Peoples name, but who are ultimately just another Elite, obsessed by power and therefore be just as shite as the Freemarket scum they replaced?

Ah, back on track I think.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 January, 2013, 11:52:58 AM
If Physics has killed Philosophy....

I don't think so. Most of the physics types I know are a very philosophical bunch. Etymologically, you could say Physics is philosophy, or 'love of knowledge' (when translated from the original Klingon). Physics definitely didn't kill philosophy. This quotation from Einstein should clear things up:

QuoteIt wasn't me! It was the one armed man!

Annnnd we're back off track
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Physics hasn't killed philosophy, you only have to look at the ubiquitous acceptance of "dark matter" to see physicists are still very much at the "it's magic and you have to believe in it really, really hard" stage of explaining some things.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 January, 2013, 11:52:58 AMWe might have a social revolution altering the current freemarket dominated society we live in but will this merely install a new Elite who claim to work in the Peoples name, but who are ultimately just another Elite, obsessed by power and therefore be just as shite as the Freemarket scum they replaced?

History, like the Man from Del Monte, says yes.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

This website challenges you to describe any complex subject you wish, and the only rule is this:

You can only use the one thousand most commonly used English words.

This is how someone described parliament:

QuoteThis is the group of people who decide the things that we have to do, the things we can't do, and how some of your money will be spent. There are 650 of them.

We pick which people will decide things for us every so often. Usually we do that every five years. Most people pick the people who will decide things for us by which party they want to be deciding things.

The 650 people pick a smaller group of to decide most of important things. Some of the people will agree with that, and some of the people will not agree with that. They sort themselves into groups, one side agree with the smaller group, the other side does not agree with the smaller group. The side that agrees with the smaller group has to be the biggest, or we all have to pick a new group of people.

The smaller group will decide what important things they want to change. The whole group has to agree that those changes are a good idea. If too many of the people who are on the side that agrees with the smaller group, think the idea is a bad idea, then the change can't happen.

You can write to the person that you picked to decide things for you. You can ask them to say things, and do things, that help change things to be more like what you want.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

I'm liking this new thing that we're all being invited to fear; "ungoverned spaces". I guess that an ungoverned space must be a space without any government officials inside, like the Sahara Desert, bits of Algeria, every ocean, sea, lake and river on Earth, my back garden and the inside of David Cameron's head.

So not only does the world face invisible terrorists but it also transpires that these ethereal monsters live in invisible places.

What we need, it seems, is some kind of global government to take responsibility for all these frightening and deserted (except for invisible terrorists, of course) places. We will also, of course, need to send lots and lots of bombs, drones and troops to pacify these ungoverned spaces.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 January, 2013, 04:16:39 PM
I'm liking this new thing that we're all being invited to fear; "ungoverned spaces". I guess that an ungoverned space must be a space without any government officials inside, like the Sahara Desert, bits of Algeria, every ocean, sea, lake and river on Earth, my back garden and the inside of David Cameron's head.

So not only does the world face invisible terrorists but it also transpires that these ethereal monsters live in invisible places.

What we need, it seems, is some kind of global government to take responsibility for all these frightening and deserted (except for invisible terrorists, of course) places. We will also, of course, need to send lots and lots of bombs, drones and troops to pacify these ungoverned spaces.

As an example of newspeaking doublethink, the notion of an ungoverned space is right up there with insurgent and liberal intervention

Stan

My gut says cruise missile..

Syria's Aleppo university bombing: amateur video footage
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jan/23/syria-aleppo-university-bombing-video

vzzbux

Politics and religion. Two poisons that can destroy Tranquility. (was going to use Nirvana but being linked to Buddism kind of defeats the quote).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Professor Bear

In my head I occasionally confuse the Huffington Post with the Onion - but when they run stories like this you can sort of understand why: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/new-mexico-abortion-bill_n_2541894.html