Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

And I thought I was the only person that saw MIDWAY at the cinema.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Jumanji: The Next Level. As with 'Welcome to the Jungle', this one is also terrific fun. The sly tweaks to the formula of the previous movie all pay dividends and keep everything lively. TBH, Awkwafina's [spoiler]tremendous Danny DeVito impression[/spoiler] is practically worth the price of admission alone.

A lot more of the narrative 'heavy lifting' falls to Karen Gillan this time around, who proves comfortably equal to the task, but the cast are again all excellent. A thoroughly entertaining way to kill two hours.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: karlos on 10 December, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
Hellbound: Hellraiser II

It's 30 years old!

Still a wonderfully odd, creepy and, at times, baffling, follow-up.

The Arrow blu ray is, unsurprisingly, lovely.

The director's daughter works at my place. She has never seen it and apparently he doesn't want to talk about it. Haha!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Apestrife

The Mule Clint Eastwood makes bank by going back and forth between the US and Mexico with "naughty salt". Not much else happens and then all of the sudden things stop and the credits roll. It's mostly Clint being do goody, and at times a bit Forrest Gump-esque (bedding two women in a threesome, at two different points among other things). Best bits are Clint sitting in his truck and singing along to country songs. All and all, quite okay to watch: It's a movie with Clint.

A star is born Heard alot of good about it, and I got really surprised. It was really really good. Can't say I'm a big fan of the music in the film, but that only speaks to how good it is. Gaga and Cooper shines in it. Their chemistry together is fantastic.

TordelBack

Jumanji: The Next Level. A sequel that feels deserved, natural and satisfying. I've seldom heard more consistent laughter from a packed and utterly focused cinema. If you've ever wondered who would win in a fight between the Rock and the Hound, or wanted to see Awkwafina pull a reverse-Johansson on an elderly Italian-American, or just enjoy well-crafted all-ages jokes about testicles, this is the film for you. Unreservedly recommended.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 December, 2019, 05:43:40 PM
Jumanji: The Next Level. A sequel that feels deserved, natural and satisfying.

Yeah. Everyone in it just seems to be enjoying themselves enormously, in a way that's completely infectious. It's great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

MacabreMagpie

Aye I watched it at the cinema on Boxing Day having never seen any of the previous films and found it enjoyable enough. One of those movies where the cast is obviously enjoying themselves so you do, too.

Tiplodocus

KNIVES OUT is a great fun whodunit which is cleverly structured so that it[spoiler] manages to have you rooting for the Detective and the "murderer[/spoiler]". Charismatic cast all having great fun, some brilliant minor characters and some good laughs to be had.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

karlos

That is brilliant, Blackmocco - and certainly explains his total and utter absence in the special features!

Professor Bear

DELUGE is an atypical mix of apocalyptic fiction and Hollywood melodrama from 1933 where unexplained tidal waves batter the world's coasts and send humanity back to the stone age.  Americans do what Americans always do when faced with setbacks and form rape gangs, so one lady - not unreasonably - decides to take her chances in the waters and washes up on the doorstep of a grieving husband whose wife and kids were killed during the floods - or were they?
Pretty tame by today's standards, some of the effects work is pretty good - especially the slo-mo tidal waves wrecking New York that would later be recycled in Universal's various movie serials in the 1940s and 50s - but arguably better than more recent examples of the genre like The Day After Tomorrow.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 January, 2020, 02:59:52 PM
...arguably better than more recent examples of the genre like The Day After Tomorrow.

Arguably?!?  Deluge quite absorbed me when we ended up with a VHS copy at some point in the early '80s, whereas TDAT just made regret my entertainment choices.

shaolin_monkey

Just seen JoJo Rabbit. Horrifying and hilarious in equal measure. It's a dark comedy, but it gets really dark.

A brave move to make a comedy out of such a horrendous subject, but it works.

MacabreMagpie

Seconded, just back from JoJo Rabbit myself and I'm going to be talking about that movie for a while, I'm sure. Not got much movie time with my current schedule but going to have to squeeze another viewing in.

It kinda reminded me of Black Adder in a weird way, in places. Nice cameo from a well known British comedy writer, too.

Colin YNWA

Watched a film called Prospect last night on Film 4. Never heard of it, read the blurb about a man and his daughter hunting resources on an alien planet cast into a world of danger and it caught my imagination. The cast included a couple of alumni from The Wire so gave it a try.

Man it was such a frustrating film. Its was so many very good on a number of counts and yet didn't quite make it on any. As a tense survival thriller it was a little too disjointed to work. Each challenge felt disconnected from the last and so there was no sense of momentum.

As a character piece nothing quite gelled. The major shifts in the film driven by the leads weren't quite sold. So you were left with some really interesting character changes and developments that I wasn't quite engaged with and carried by and so they seemed to be there to serve the plot only.

As an action piece a little low key.

In the end you get a space western a bit like Outland in that its not quite as good as it looks. It does look superb on what I assume is a limited budget. Okay the forest that provides most of the backdrop is a little too Earthly but some nice lighting makes it work. The suits and other design reminded me a bit of Alien - without the Alien - and the world and environment felt real and convincing. Alas just nothing else, still pretty good and kept me up until 11pm so must of had something!

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 05 January, 2020, 12:12:45 AM
Nice cameo from a well known British comedy writer, too.

Having looked at the promotional material for the movie I see this probably wasn't as much a surprise to most people in the theatre as it was to me... XD