Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Yeah, I've just read the 'previous/other swampies' revelation (but I don't know if any actual stories will come up in later volumes).

Interestingly, mentioning the beast in the fens - that's Grendle that is, as Grendle is a pronunciation of 'grindle', an old English name for fen or murky type pond! Still used in some parts of England I believe?

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

W. R. Logan

Sneak reading Powers: The Definitive Hardback Collection 3
It was waiting for me on my desk at work but its too big to sneak inside any of the paperwork I'm supposed to be reading 8-)

Tiplodocus

CHARLIE BROOKER - THE HELL OF IT ALL

Just a collection of stuff he's written for The Guardian but given that I don't get THE GUARDIAN, it's all pretty new to me.  It's very funny stuff and he's even put the C word back in plenty of places where doubtless it was previously excised.

One slight complaint is, I can read a funny comment about CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER just now and understand it because, even though I don't watch it, I know who is on because of the blanket magazine and paper coverage. When the column is referring back to BB8 though, I haven't got a clue about half the people he is referring to. The insults are still pretty stealable though.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wild-seven

QuoteCHARLIE BROOKER - THE HELL OF IT ALL

Have you read his two previous collections? They're both excellent and have caused serious pain with all the mirth they caused

Also this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Mirth-Woe-Alistair-Coleman/dp/1897312121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263054329&sr=1-1
The man known as ScaryDuck offers some of the finest stories published on his mighty blog. May contain traces of Mirth, Woe and being sick-inna-hedge
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

House of Usher

Last night I finished reading Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner's Our Cancer Year which has made me more scared of chemotherapy and shingles than of cancer. Another Harvey Pekar comic that highlights what a headstrong arse he can be, firstly for electing to take a 12-week rather than 12-month course of treatment, and secondly for insisting upon contuing to go to work and not take the 9 months' sick leave he'd accrued.

Now I'm reading Gavin Baddely's Goth Chic, which is really very well written and thorough and not self-indulgent, hyperbolic or stupid.
STRIKE !!!

Dog Deever

I just got 'The Programme' (Pete Milligan / C.P. Smith) and the first collection of 'Preacher' (Ennis / Dillon) today- which I am ashamed to say I have never read despite many recommendations.

Not sure which to read first, so I keep flicking through both in a purposeless way!

I very nearly bought 'Red' (Warren Ellis / Cully Hamner) instead of Preacher, but at £10.99, when the actual comic only takes up half the book, it seemed like a bit of a rip.
Anyone red it?
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 09 January, 2010, 04:41:23 PM
Last night I finished reading Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner's Our Cancer Year which has made me more scared of chemotherapy and shingles than of cancer.

It's good though, isn't it?  I've been working my way through Pekar's stuff and yes, he really s a insufferable headcase (his poor wife), but when you read  a chunk of his work the simple honesty of his observations and the raw humanity it exposes is hugely compelling.

Mikey

Agreed - I wanted to punch the bugger while reading 'The Quitter', but the honest self appraisal is refreshing to see.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Zarjazzer

ereading "Soon I will be  Invincible" again a novel about capes and supervillains, also bought "Mass Effect" comic not too bad at all. Nice art.  
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

strontium_dog_90

Just read the latest Tomes of the Dead novel "Hungry Hearts," and I have to say it's possibly the best yet. Gory but outragously funny, it's well worth a read. Unlike, sadly, the new Dean Koontz book, which I ploughed through last week. As a hardcore Koontz fan it hurts me to say that this one is terrible - so bad that it's dissuaded me from getting his books as soon as they're released in future. I finished it a week ago, and I'm still struggling to understand what happened in it. Avoid, even if you're a fan like me.

Mardroid

I'm reading Watchmen.  I read it before years ago and wasn't over keen for some reason. However I enjoyed the film, and finding it going for a ridiculously cheap price on the internet recently, couldn't resist ordering it.

It's enjoyable so far. I've finished chapter 1 and the excerpt of Hollis Mason's 'Under the Hood' which was a lovely little read all of it's own.  I'm particularly curious that old 'Superman' comic books were one of Holis's inspirations considering I heard one of the film creators (probably the director) that that pirate comics have replaced superhero comics in this reality. If he isn't wrong. I'm assuming the disfavour of super hero comics came later.

I've just started 'The Fires of Heaven' in my reread of 'The Wheel of Time' also.

Roger Godpleton

Almost done with "A House for Mr Biswas" which is an illuminating read.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Van Dom

Finished "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami a few days ago.
What an experience. Incredibly freaky, it gets right under your skin. At one point I swear it was going to give me an out-of-body experience. I can't describe what I mean, just what was happening and the way it was written was literally dragging me into the scene. Pretty intense.

Anyone read this?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

House of Usher

Last night I read Harvey Pekar's The Quitter in bed over two sleepless hours.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Started reading Banks' Transition - very good so far, but some of his made-up words seem a lot silly.  It has a touch of Walking on Glass about it, which is one of his more under-rated books, so that's nice. 

Also, just read Robert Reed's short story 'Five Thrillers' - holy heck, that really is something!  Literally the plots of five SF novels, spanning decades in the wildly OTT career of one character, and the fate of the whole human race.  If you've ever struggled through the six books of Piers Anthony's endless Bio of a Space Tyrant series, this is basically a clever, well written version - in 38 pages.  Outstanding.