Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I wonder how many of the locals could afford to use that leisure centre.

Old Tankie

The locals interviewed obviously didn't think the leisure centre was for them.

IndigoPrime

I saw one of those interviews. It was like Life of Brain.

Oh, well, yes, but apart from the leisure centre...
Well, the leisure centre and [something else]...

Well, sure. But apart from [long list], what has the EU ever done for us? *embarrassed expression*

Dandontdare

so we don't want evil Europeans taunting us with their state of the art leisure facilities, we don't want the local council improving railway links to attract business ....What DO we want?

Old Tankie

You give me a tenner and I'll give you a fiver back, that's a great deal for you.

Steve Green

The big issues like passport colours and stamps on pint glasses according to Paul Nuttall.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukips-paul-nuttall-accused-insulting-9592280

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 10 January, 2017, 06:06:49 PM
You give me a tenner and I'll give you a fiver back, that's a great deal for you.
Your anecdote is not a statement of fact. Let's try that again.

The Legendary Shark

I can't believe nobody's done the "what's a Welsh leisure centre?" joke yet...

It's almost as if offensive racial stereotyping was a thing of the past!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

The UK is a net contributor to the EU.

Leigh S

Quote from: Old Tankie on 10 January, 2017, 06:25:52 PM

I beleive we would get £6.66 back from our £10 (or thereabouts) but your point remains on a National scale... what would be more interesting would be to see Region by Region how much money is given to the EU and how much money is given - I suspect that London would be closer to that "give a tenner get a fiver" and some areas would be at least as well of- ironically, London voting to stay, with the poorer regions  that may well actually benefit voting to leave..

Steven Denton

Quote from: Leigh S on 10 January, 2017, 06:38:02 PM

I beleive we would get £6.66 back from our £10 (or thereabouts)

Is that taking into account the cost of the EU services we use and the funds we could access but don't? 

Steven Denton

I think it would be amazing if we gave £10 to the EU and got nothing back because our country was so free of poverty and had such a good infrastructure that we just didn't need it.

Old Tankie

But we are not so why give the tenner in the first place.

TordelBack

In the same way that I'm a net contributor to every club, journal or service I subscribe to. But I do it because I receive non-financial benefits that outweigh the cost. Anything else is a pyramid scheme.