Main Menu

Prog 2363: Lawman of the people!

Started by IndigoPrime, 30 December, 2023, 02:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swerty

norton canes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 January, 2024, 03:26:05 PMQuite a lot of the supporting cast of Hope were very deliberately modelled on real people, some of them specifically called out in the script (the cop who looked like Werner Herzog, for example :) ).

Oops! Looks like I might have to move this to the 'Things that went over your head...' thread  :)

Funt Solo

Quote from: Fortnight on 03 January, 2024, 03:35:53 PMNot 2000AD, but can anyone place who the character of "The Collector" from the 80s Eagle looks like. When I first saw it in the 80s it reminded me of an actor, but I've never been able to make the connection to a name. At first I thought someone in the Hammer oeuvre but probably more like someone who appears in the likes of old B&W war films. Maybe.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/britishcomics/images/a/aa/Collector0001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170310175651

This site reckons it's Boris Barnet, but I'm not convinced.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Fortnight

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 January, 2024, 05:49:51 PMThis site reckons it's Boris Barnet, but I'm not convinced
Definitely not who I'm picturing. I got to thinking Paul Freeman (Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark) but he was too young at that time, I think, for the face I can see in my mind. Now I can't get past that! In my head it's a WW2 German officer grinding his teeth behind a square jaw in black & white.

A.Cow

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bill Savage was based on 1950s action hero Stanley Baker.

TheGrunk

Loved Silvia Califano's work on Dredd. Ol'Stoney Face isn't always the easiest character to make expressive, something I think a lot of other artists struggle with a bit. Her rendition was loaded with personality.

nxylas

Pat Mills has said that Slaine was modelled on a young Jack Nicholson.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 04 January, 2024, 02:53:20 PMPat Mills has said that Slaine was modelled on a young Jack Nicholson.

As soon as you said it, I saw it:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: nxylas on 04 January, 2024, 02:53:20 PMPat Mills has said that Slaine was modelled on a young Jack Nicholson.

Words out of my mouth. I've been binge-reading Sláine (probably for the hundredth time) of late.  Was it Glenn Fabry's idea to make him look like Jack Nicholson? If so, he did it while staying faithful to Angie Kincaid's first depiction of Sláine. Incredible as McMahon and Belardinelli were, they veered away from the first story wildly in terms of Sláine's phizzog.

Andrew Currie very often uses real actors to 'play' his characters, without disguising them at all. The Sov agent Pasha looked like Vin Diesel pre-face-change, and George Clooney post (or was it the other way round?).  Morgan Freeman appeared as some kind of Judge once too.

Judge Cal was based on John Hurt in I, Claudius, in both appearance and character. That is, until Brian Bolland drew him and he looked exactly like Pat Mills. 

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Le Fink

Quote from: norton canes on 03 January, 2024, 12:21:15 PMThe prime minister is blatantly based on Stephen Fry, yeah?
I thought it might be Nick Griffin.

JayzusB.Christ

That helmetless, face-changed Dredd from the very early progs was based on some actor too, iirc? Can't remember who though, or find the image.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GordonR

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 January, 2024, 09:28:00 PMThat helmetless, face-changed Dredd from the very early progs was based on some actor too, iirc? Can't remember who though, or find the image.

Rondo Hatton.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 January, 2024, 09:28:00 PMThat helmetless, face-changed Dredd from the very early progs was based on some actor too, iirc? Can't remember who though, or find the image.

In Luna Wars (prog 52):

[It was reprinted in the Games Workshop JD RPG - which is where I first saw it.]

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 January, 2024, 06:32:02 PMWas it Glenn Fabry's idea to make him look like Jack Nicholson? If so, he did it while staying faithful to Angie Kincaid's first depiction of Sláine.
i think it was actually Angie's idea, or maybe Pat asked her to draw him that way.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, guys.

Just looked at Rondo Hatton's Wikipedia page - seems he had been quite a handsome young man, but was disfigured by the effects of acromegaly.  Seems very rough but it didn't hurt his horror movie career.

And thanks for filling me in about Sláine too. I seem to remember that Pat's original idea was to have him wearing a helmet, but either he changed his mind or Angie suggested the helmetless, handsome look. (Glenn made him look about 17 years older than Angie's version, sickeningly brilliant as Fabry was.

Anyway, back to the prog: I've only read Dredd so far.  Mike Carroll is really on fire these days - this is quality, old-school Dredd.  And yeah, I was expecting some kind of publicity-seeking media set-up, so my expectations were nicely confounded.