Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The passing of Paul Neary is said news. I'll always first think of him as one of Alan Davis' best inkers, but he was so much more throughout his career. A real polymath and did a little lovely work for Tharg too.

Thoughts with his family and friends.

sheridan

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 14 February, 2024, 03:25:02 PMThe trouble is, that hardily anyone ever seems to post in some of the threads anymore.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2024, 02:24:55 PMI didn't mean to suggest that nobody should ever post here any more - I have absolutely no problem with anyone paying their respects here to a person who had a genuine impact of one kind or another on their lives, and I'm happy to read these tributary posts.

I just don't think it was ever meant to be an exhaustive list of today's deaths, which I think is a pointless and somewhat morbid use of the forum.

On other forums that I (in)frequently visit, this seems to be the exact point of similar celebrity / famous individuals condolences thread(s).

Well, the first post on this thread didn't specify what the intent was - and contained the deaths of two unrelated people.

sheridan

To keep it separate from that discussion, my thoughts on the passing of Steve Wright - back when I was a teenager and had a roughly hour-long journey home from school I bought myself a personal. stereo (it wasn't a branded Sony Walkman, but you get the idea).  As well as playing Pop Art by Transvision Vamp I also listened to radio, and that meant Steve Wright in the Afternoon.  So yes, this particularly death is another part of my childhood gone.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 15 February, 2024, 08:38:50 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 14 February, 2024, 03:25:02 PMThe trouble is, that hardily anyone ever seems to post in some of the threads anymore.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 February, 2024, 02:24:55 PMI didn't mean to suggest that nobody should ever post here any more - I have absolutely no problem with anyone paying their respects here to a person who had a genuine impact of one kind or another on their lives, and I'm happy to read these tributary posts.

I just don't think it was ever meant to be an exhaustive list of today's deaths, which I think is a pointless and somewhat morbid use of the forum.

On other forums that I (in)frequently visit, this seems to be the exact point of similar celebrity / famous individuals condolences thread(s).

Well, the first post on this thread didn't specify what the intent was - and contained the deaths of two unrelated people.

Fair enough - my memory is playing tricks on me.  It's just a personal thing I suppose - if it is just a list of famous people who have just died maybe it's not the thread for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 February, 2024, 05:59:50 AMone of Alan Davis' best inkers,

Just heard the sad news about Paul Neary a few minutes ago.
As mentioned, a multi-talented gentleman, but his inking was all-time top 10 for me.

We've recently lost inking masters, Tom Palmer and Dan Green, not to mention Hall of Famers like Al Williamson a decade or so ago.
Seems to be a genuine dying art, sadly.

Richard

It amuses me how that post just completely ignores the previous dozen posts.

Funt Solo

Alexei Navalny - effectively murdered by the Russian State / Putin.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 16 February, 2024, 05:15:46 PMAlexei Navalny - effectively murdered by the Russian State / Putin.

Not even a surprise. I was expecting him to have "fallen out of a window" eventually.

IAMTHESYSTEM

The comic book artist Enric Badia Romero, known for drawing Modesty Blaise. I always remember seeing his Modesty Blaise in the London Evening Standard when comic strips were almost integral to Newspapers.
https://downthetubes.net/in-memoriam-modesty-blaise-and-axa-artist-enric-badia-romero/

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Barrington Boots

Really sad to hear about Enrique Romero. 94 years old but what a talent! I'm mainly familiar with stuff like Modesty Blaise and Axa and they're fantastic - so detailed and often very beautiful artwork.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I'm sorry but I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Former Labour MP Ronnie Campbell dies aged 80
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg90qq737qo
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Legendary Shark

Aaron Bushnell.

Quote"Many of us like to ask ourselves, 'What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Turns out it's today unfortunately.
You may quote me on that.

rogue69

Hairy Biker Dave Myers aged 66
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68433675

Wrestler Michael Jones better known as Virgil in the WWE aged 61
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68429767

Barrington Boots

No age for either of those guys.

I know a few who met Virgil, he was a blagger of the highest order. He'd been very ill for some time, someone recently had a fundraiser for him to buy clothes and toiletries. Imagine needing a fundraiser to buy toiletries. Awful.
You're a dark horse, Boots.