Main Menu

Started by W. R. Logan, 07 September, 2006, 12:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I just realised I've managed to work from home this morning...pure coincidence that the prog should be arriving any time soon...honest.

IndigoPrime

:: To change the name to something as lame as
:: 3000AD is such a trivial thing it's not
:: worth doing.

As someone who's worked in marketing of some form for about a decade, I don't agree with the "trivial" aspect of what you say (although I DO agree with everything else you say about the brand): a change to 3000 AD would be like new prints of 1984 being called "2014", just in case people didn't buy the book due to its "old" title.

"2000 AD" is a recognisable brand with a decent pedigree. It has the power to draw in lapsed readers. "3000 AD" (or whatever) would require Rebellion to largely start from scratch from a branding and core recognition perspective. One might argue that new readers would be slightly more compelled to leap on board, but I doubt that would really be the case. Are there really droves of people out there eschewing 2000 AD because it's name means something that happened six years ago? Is it worth the risk and financial impact of rebranding the entire line, just in case?

Banners

:: a change to 3000 AD would be like new prints of 1984 being called "2014", just in case people didn't buy the book due to its "old" title

Well, the essential difference here is that 1984 was a one-off, whereas 2000 AD is obviously an ongoing title.

Whilst lapsed readers may well be ushered back by the familiar brand, it must be quite off-putting for potential new readers - who are surely more valuable. And soon, you'll have a generation born either in or after 2000 - how will the title seem to them?

It just seems anachronistic to have something that is essentially about the future, to be innately named after the past...

Anyway, enough of this - I'm off to read Origins again(!)

M@

M.I.K.

I'm more concerned about what the issue after prog 1999 is going to be called...

JOE SOAP

>It just seems anachronistic to have something that is essentially about the future, to be innately named after the past...

Not when it's an established publication with 1505 progs under it's belt and well established characters.

You can consider the title to mean life after 2000AD which can still mean the future, depends on your perception of it, not how someone sells it to you.

I mean Star Wars sounds like a crap, hokey 70's sci-fi title to me but I can't imagine those films being called anything else, the original films get away with it now because they were good and different & higly enjoyable, the new ones don't cos' they're crap.

Should the league of extraordinary gentlemen be called something else because no one titles heroic team-ups in a wordy, victorian type english anymore?

2000AD is not strictly about the future & when it's stories are in a futuristic setting they aren't usually concerned with predition or a "we're all going to live this way someday" attitude. They're just stories of human interest or crazy possibilities. If someone really belived all humans would end up living under a misogynistic theocracy like in Nemesis, I would consifer them mad but as a story it's enjoyable, entertaining & thought provoking. A mad possibility.

2000AD is fiction not fact. Don't take the title literally, that's not what it's meant for.

Matt Timson

Jesus Christ, do they let you out under supervision or what?  Stop talking as though your opinion is cast in stone, you irritating cockspur...
Pffft...

JOE SOAP

If you don't like it don't read the thread. What type of knob uses words like cockspur?

Wils

Stop talking as though your opinion is cast in stone, you irritating cockspur...

Welcome Back, Eyebrows.

;)

paulvonscott

Riot form to Thread 18126!

One knob and a cockspur involved in needless chiding.

JOE SOAP

It's all a bit rum.

Floyd-the-k

I've got no idea if it's worth the risk, Indigo. I've got no expertise in this area. I just say what I'd like.  You may have a point about 1984 - nobody suggested changing the title. I can only say how it seems to me - which is that keeping it 2000AD makes it feel increasingly like those old sci fi movies which speak of the amazing future of 1986 - ie a little lame.

anyway, it doesn't matter very much. Much more important is how fanbloodytastic the progs are lately

yours glasshalfully

JOE SOAP

Fuck it, no other comic can have something like Origins, let's enjoy it -aren't we the lucky ones.

Radbacker

well Im offended by the term AD and it should be called 2000CE, that'd be more PC.

CU Radbacker

Floyd-the-k

There we happily agree - we'd be lucky to have Origins even if the comic's name was changed to 'Emu-Sexing For Fun - Formerly 2000AD'

I, Cosh

Fuck the fuck off.

Stop.
We never really die.