Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 August, 2022, 05:52:18 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2022, 05:42:34 PM
2022 can't get any weirder than seeing Colin praise anything manga/anime adjacent.

Are we in the dark timeline?

To be fair I'm not anti Manga I love a number of the classic, Barefoot Jen, Onward to Our Noble Death etc just don't got on with all of it and bizzarely struggled with Shogun Jump which was (is?) insanely good value and I won't to love more. Just don't have time to expose myself to enough to find the bits I'd like.

My daughter has made it her life's aim to change this, though some show about Volley Ball bounced off me!

My niece (one of six) once told me as a teenager that she was now into comics, and I thought YES, I've managed to convert at least one of them; but then she took me to her room to show me her collection and it was all princess/schoolgirl manga. So disappointed, 'cos I know nothing about that. I've given up on that generation and need to start working on the great-nephews and great-nieces that are starting to appear.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 August, 2022, 07:30:48 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 August, 2022, 05:52:18 PM
...she took me to her room to show me her collection and it was all princess/schoolgirl manga...

"And that, your honour, ends the case for the defence."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Ohhh so I'm meant to watch Defenders before going into DD Season 3 am I am... that's annoying. I think I'll make do with episode summaries.

Find it a little straight that the first episode felt so dependent on another show. I mean sure make me want to know more, that's fine - but a bit of dialogue here and there wouldn't have made it feel so necessary.

Richmond Clements

Halfway through Strange New Worlds. It's... okay I guess. The cast are great and giving it their all, but it just feels like I'm watching an RPG session.

pictsy

I'm still chugging along with One Piece.  Thriller Bark has mostly been boring so far.  The sexual assault "jokes" are very uncomfortable, too, as the obvious rapist Absalom is played entirely for laughs.  Gross.

Colin YNWA

After the reviews here I was very much looking forward to DD Season 3 and have to say early episodes disappointed. A watered down, yet still overblown Born Again. Took until episode 4 to have a decent episode. They have messed with Bullseye, or at least Bullseye as I know him something rotten, and it did that superhero origin thing, in that all traits shown must be dramatically shown in a few key life moments... but it is a superhero trope and this is a superhero show so it gets a pass. It was all done rather well though and so Episode 4 has restored some hope in the series... we'll see...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 August, 2022, 03:28:29 PM
... but it just feels like I'm watching an RPG session.

Heh, wait 'til you see episode 8
You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 August, 2022, 04:18:27 PM
After the reviews here I was very much looking forward to DD Season 3 and have to say early episodes disappointed. A watered down, yet still overblown Born Again. Took until episode 4 to have a decent episode. They have messed with Bullseye, or at least Bullseye as I know him something rotten, and it did that superhero origin thing, in that all traits shown must be dramatically shown in a few key life moments... but it is a superhero trope and this is a superhero show so it gets a pass. It was all done rather well though and so Episode 4 has restored some hope in the series... we'll see...

So turns out it was episode 5 I enjoyed not 4 BUT it continued the quality from there, well up to episode 9 at least which I've just finished. If it keeps this up to the end I'll be happy enough.

I like the way its taking elements from Born Again and mixed it up with other stuff - they don't seem to create Ann Nocenti and Lee Weeks final arc as much of the show should - based on the 'Thanks' bit of the credit AND throw in some of their own stuff for good measure. Its pretty good.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mister Pops on 28 August, 2022, 05:13:27 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 August, 2022, 03:28:29 PM
... but it just feels like I'm watching an RPG session.

Heh, wait 'til you see episode 8

I just have... yeeesss... they're all clearly having fun here, but man...

Tiplodocus

Add another vote for PEACEMAKER (there are two or three up thread). Obviously nothing will be as funny as the "bag of dicks" line from THE SUICIDE SQUAD but some of the banter in this comes close. (Relatively) low key bonkers fun with great performances all round.

I like the fact that John Cena seems to lean into how ridiculous he seems (unlike say The Rock or Vin Diesel who tend to idolise themselves these days).

Colin YNWA

Are goddamnit Daredevil really is the show that can't stick (no pun) the landing.

Season 1 was pretty great but the last episode was rushed poppycock. Didn't take too much away, but was a shame.

Season 2 was rubbish and still managed to have a bad ending even in relation to that.

Season 3 started rubbish got really good in the middle and utterly dropped the ball in the last episode that stretched even the ability to suspend disbelief beyond that which is naturally required. As ugly in its neatness and all in all was rubbish.

Shame as the show has potential. We'll see what Season 4 brings I guess...

Colin YNWA

I saw that folks rated Godless here as I set about watching it, but you didn't get close to the praise it deserves. I saw a trailer for it and this wasn't the show I wanted, it didn't twist things in the way I was expecting, it wasn't as different and out there as I'd hoped going in. Instead it played so delicately with the cliches of the west the first episode made you fear it would be washed away in. No it might not have been the story the trailer had made me want. It just might be the western I've always wanted however.

Using six episodes to lay the ground work and establish character wonderfully, luxuriously and with dusty western honesty isn't slow pacing (not accused of here, folks were referencing comments elsewhere) it was pure brilliant storytelling. It allowed the last episode to be probably the greatest western set piece I have ever seen. From the moment Whitey [spoiler]is brutally killed[/spoiler] and it hurts so much, you know you are in for quite something and boy does it delivery emotionally, visually and viserally. That final epsiode is one of my favourite telly things ever.

Left so raw at the end the swirling music and fades into skyline that echo back to the cliche the first episode threatened, are welcomed and embraced. You've seen enough hardship, you want that happy ending, even if you are tantilisingly denied it completely.

I mentioned how Daredevil utterly fumbled its ending. Godless entirely shows how it should be done.

What a brilliant western. My favourite western ever, well that will need a rewatch of some of my favourite films but given the time and space it had to play with, well it just might be. The way it escaped the cliche the first episode teased, while lavishing in every western trope was quite something.

An absolute masterpiece.

Colin YNWA

Oh and while I don't want any more why the hell hasn't someone given us a Maggie spin-off series I will never fathom. One of the great western heroes and screams out to be used again.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 September, 2022, 10:13:03 PM
What a brilliant western. My favourite western ever, well that will need a rewatch of some of my favourite films but given the time and space it had to play with, well it just might be.

ISTR saying that it was probably my favourite western since 'Unforgiven', which is about as high praise as I can give it. Yes, Godless is fantastic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, GODLESS was good.

Not really a western but I'm two episodes in to WESTWORLD Season 1 and I am loving it. I like how it's just dived in with the big themes of identity and sentience and not (and Hopkins even says as much) just the titillating but we'll worn fun of a theme park breaking down.

Plus, you know, trying to guess who might be androids. So far, I'm failing miserably and have fallen for various switches.