Main Menu

Meg 446: Royal Blood

Started by The Monarch, 25 July, 2022, 01:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I think people are being a bit harsh on Death Cap. It was a bit meandering but the central idea, that the mushrooms that cause Grubb's disease are now more or less an indepenetn, semi-conscious life form that can bring its hosts into some sort of communal mind-space is a VERY cool sci-fi concept.

And I like the way this story is using the Cursed Earth setting to do something with the concept of the Climate Crisis as it actually is in our world, compared to a different kind of Climate Crisis where much of the world has been ravaged by nuclear war.

There is some evidence, based on e.g. Chernobyl fallout, that rendering large places SO unihabitable by humans that they are genuinely untouched for decades, is actaully GOOD for them, in terms of allowing nature to build itself back up. And if it does so by evolving mind-parasitic mushrooms, so much the better for the planet and the worse for humans.

Mind, the actual text of Death Cap doesn't go into this stuff so much as it focuses on revenge and motherhood, but the times when it came close to all this I liked it a LOT.

What I'm saying is, someone ask Tom Eglington to work on a Sci Fi Thistlebone.