Main Menu

Daft question about line weights

Started by Huey2, 10 October, 2022, 11:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huey2

Hi,
hoping somebody here can give me a couple of pointers:

I remember being told that line weights should vary according to whether a figure is in the foreground or background - the suggestion being that a foreground figure being inked with a 3 brush and a background figure being inked with a 1 brush.

So, I was wondering how this changes with the size of the panel eg). would a foreground figure in a quarter page panel have the same line weight as the foreground figure in a full page panel.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Dandontdare

well I'm no use because I thought you were asking about fishing.

The Legendary Shark

I'd guess at whatever looks right to you.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pauljholden

Quote from: Huey2 on 10 October, 2022, 11:17:12 PM
Hi,
hoping somebody here can give me a couple of pointers:

I remember being told that line weights should vary according to whether a figure is in the foreground or background - the suggestion being that a foreground figure being inked with a 3 brush and a background figure being inked with a 1 brush.

So, I was wondering how this changes with the size of the panel eg). would a foreground figure in a quarter page panel have the same line weight as the foreground figure in a full page panel.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

There's no strict rules on this - it's whatever looks best and you 'll get there with experience. You want to be able to distinguise objects from one another and thicker lines do tend to draw attention more than thinner lines (but also thick lines tend to suggest shadow).

There's a good book on inking by Gary Martin that I'd recommend. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Comic-Book-Inking-2nd/dp/1593074050

Huey2

That's great. Thanks guys.
Will definitely check out that book, PJ.
Cheers.