Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

On a whim I sat down and watched one from the DVD shelf that I bought ages ago on the understanding that "yep, I'll maybe not watch that today, or tonight, or tomorrow, or even next week, but I will get some mileage out of this purchase at some point in the future and there's no point pretending otherwise":  Ghostbusters was the first time that I became aware that there was a place called New York and that the people there were very proud of the fact that they were wallowing in poverty and usually angry at something, a stark contrast to something like CSI New York which paints the place as a dour shithole of coffee shops full of boring people who seem to have access to a holodeck.
I love Ghostbusters' grubby working-class cast chain-smoking their way from one plot point to the next, never realising that they only have a job because Armageddon is upon them until some stiff only working there for a paycheque points it out to them, and it's full of great character moments and quotes ("we get him laid we don't have a problem").  Some ropey effects and no real climactic showdown to speak of, but that's okay, this is a film that can always cruise by on its quirky charm - and it does.  As soon as it was over, my first thought was "why did I take so long to watch that again?"
Fantastic.

Tiplodocus

WRATH OF THE TITANS.

More like Wrath of the shite 'uns.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Onlyverysmall

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 April, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
WRATH OF THE TITANS.

Did you steal that review from Barry Norman? I'm watching you...nyehh!...still watching...

Onlyverysmall

Here's how you do it;

'Wrath Of The Titans'? rubbish film more like! It was rubbish. It was a very rubbish film.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 April, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
WRATH OF THE TITANS.

:lol: , and there it is ladies and gentlemen, easily the best line of the day...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Radbacker

Ghost Busters is my favorite movie ever (with strong competition from Gremlins, Aliens and Robocop), Bill Murray at his best, Sigorney weaver at her sexiest (my 9 year old brain got its first taste of sexosterone that year), some of the most mindblowing effects at the time (which i'll disagree with you and say the optical ghost effects still hold up pretty well today, Mr Staypuft compositings is a bit dodgy though).  Shame about the sequal though, some good bits but hust doesn't connect the way the first did. Must dig out my Dvd of it, anyone know if it has a Blue Ray release?.

CU Radbacker

Gonk

The grand themes of power, murder, corruption and manipulation in 15th Century France is the subject of the film "The Hour of the Pig". Did I mention madness? Lawyers from Paris escape to a village called Abbeville and put a pig on trial for a racially motivated murder of a Jewish boy. This is scapegoating in the extreme. The law is definetly an ass in this film.

coming at a cinema near you soon

Roger Godpleton

Boy, you sure are subtle...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Radbacker on 04 April, 2012, 02:06:40 AMSigorney weaver at her sexiest (my 9 year old brain got its first taste of sexosterone that year)

The bit where arms come out of the chair and grab her, whoever is doing the arm on Weaver's left is clearly having a mash in several of the different takes used to film the scene.  Don't see the attraction myself because of the 1980s hair - it might not be the decade that invented the perm, but it sure did perfect it.

The Creeping Flesh - I seem to remember this being a lot better, but it's just naff and silly so I put my previous reverence down to my being 12.  And thick as pigshit.  The plot meanders all over place and we're asked to take a lot for granted: Cushing just finds the Devil's corpse, the looney just walks out of the asylum, the girl instead of turning evil turns mad like her mum, etc.  Cushing and Lee pretty much sleepwalk through parts they've played a dozen times before, but they're always watchable.

The Land That Time Forgot - much-loved cheesey old duffer of a flick with rubber dinosaurs versus Nazis and mobile plank Doug McClure as unlikeable arsehole Yankie McUnclesam, who leads German warmongers fresh from killing a boat full of civilians in their search for oil, which they steal from an unspoiled wilderness full of irreplaceable natural wonders until the place is razed to the ground.  Naturally, we're on the side of the American, even though the Nazi captain is the only person approaching being sensible or likable.  They seem to wander around killing dinosaurs unprovoked a lot in this flick, and then everything burns to the ground as usually happens in these types of old British genre offerings and it ends.  It's a bit shite, really.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: fonky on 05 April, 2012, 11:35:41 AM
This is scapegoating in the extreme. The law is definetly an ass in this film.

Strangely, I felt the goat deserved worse than he got. This is one of the few times I felt the law just wasn't harsh enough. "Hour of the Pig", indeed, struck at 04 April, 2012, 06:32:52 PM.

Tiplodocus

THE LOSERS
Really wanted to enjoy this more than we did. Best scenes at the beginning, ludicrous funale (the plan was to run at all of the armed guards - really?) and am I the only person who doesn't find Zoe Saldana attractive?  I like Chris Evans though.

BATMAN - UNDER THE RED HOOD
We really liked this. These straight to DVD Bat and Supes cartoons are certainly tougher than the usual animated fare (lots of blood) and the fights can be really brutal. And normally with good reason as the plots wouldn't make much sense without the violence.  I was aware of the "reveal" (as would anybody with a passing knowledge of the comics) but Tiny Tips wasn't and thought it was great and all made perfect sense. Except Red Hood and Bats just happening to end up in a room with Joker in the closet. Was expecting more of Bender as the Joker though.

WORLDS FINEST - PUBLIC ENEMIES
Enjoyable enough romp with some fun fights - though Batman takes a LOT of punishment and keeps on going.  You can tell it's editted highlights of a longer comic though - it really does just jump from fight to fight and a little more plotting and character would have been welcome. The focus is on Luthor who Clancy Brown does quite well but ultimately it's an unsatisfying package despite some great animation and Bat moments.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 April, 2012, 11:02:55 PM...am I the only person who doesn't find Zoe Saldana attractive?  I like Chris Evans though.

Now there's an interesting Venn diagram.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 05 April, 2012, 01:35:11 PM

The Land That Time Forgot - much-loved cheesey old duffer of a flick with rubber dinosaurs versus Nazis and mobile plank Doug McClure as unlikeable arsehole Yankie McUnclesam, who leads German warmongers fresh from killing a boat full of civilians in their search for oil, which they steal from an unspoiled wilderness full of irreplaceable natural wonders until the place is razed to the ground.  Naturally, we're on the side of the American, even though the Nazi captain is the only person approaching being sensible or likable.  They seem to wander around killing dinosaurs unprovoked a lot in this flick, and then everything burns to the ground as usually happens in these types of old British genre offerings and it ends.  It's a bit shite, really.

It's where Pat Mills got all his stuff.

Roger Godpleton

Zoe Saldana is just that bit too thin.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Tiplodocus

QuoteNow there's an interesting Venn diagram.

Wait till you hear me go on about The Rock.

Spot on Godders - that's exactly what I was thinking.