Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

(cont) ever i had to cover the boys' eyes during one particularly explicit sequence. And a note from the frontline of the cgi vs prosthetics war: it was the physically real grue that caused the queasiness- the numerous cgi head explosions, slashings and suchlike were all perfectly acceptable, but elicited only cheers and shouts of glee from we four. The boys werent happy i censored their viewing, but i know best as always.

3) it's exactly like the old ones. And i mean that- from the dialogue to the character-types to the sets to the themes, it's the most authentic attempt to conjour the feel of the old universals ive ever seen. I LOVED the del toro Wolf Man, and it was a much, much better film than this- but ignoring such things as budget and innovation, this is just as wonderful. A mash-up of 80s splatter and 40s cosiness by way of the recent attempted reboots (it owes a fair bit to Van Helsing too, but i loved that as well) i would unreservedly recommend it to anyone for whom universal horror (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) is the reason we bother to watch movies at all. Yes, it's all over the shop, yes it stars Stephen Rea doing his usual hangdog thing like he does in everything he's ever in. But if you're like me, you'll want more adventures of this motley band of monster-hunters (those who survive, anyway) and you wont care if the budgets get even smaller with progressive films. It's full of mad bits: one of the hunters is Richard Hammond doing David Tennant by way of Anthony Ainley, and in the extras he reveals he's excited to be in a Universal because he's bezzie mates with The Creature From The Black Lagoon's lead actress. Mad.

Anyway. If you're serious and dour and that, you'll hate it. If that's the case, have a beer first- or get kids and watch it through their eyes. But cover them up during THAT scene, fer gruds sake!

Happy Halloween, everyone!

SBT

MR. ELIMINATOR

Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was bad. Not exactly surprised. Also watched The Shining tonight as it was Halloween.

Spikes

Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
Snagged the bluray the other week, and finally managed to sit down and watch it last night.
Every time i watch this film, i cant help but think to myself that what im watching is pretty much damn near perfection. And the new HD transfer has to be see to be believed. Outstanding.
A decent set of supplements is on offer - commentary, deleted scenes et al, (ported over from the Criterion release), that goes some way to sating the appetite for more. Though the deleted scenes (about 15 mins) show the film would have been a totally different beast and more standard fare, if included - so im not really interested in ever getting to see the much talked about 5 hour cut. Malick may well have shot one film on location and ended up with another in post - much to Adrian Brody's chagrin, but as i say, perfection.

Bolt-01

Last night I took my daughter to see Hotel Transylvania.

We both really enjoyed it, which was not a surprise as it was directed by Genndy Tarkatovsy (probably horrendously misspelt that) of Dexters Lab and the Original Clone wars. Really recommended 'all ages' fun.

Daveycandlish

2001 A Space Odyssey. Slow, ponderous, overblown and over-rated. Great effects, nice music, a good piece of plot when HAL goes loopy but the first hour could have been edited down to about 8 minutes and the end should have been edited down to capsule/monolith/light show/starchild, none of the colour negative landscape lark.
Next time I want nonsensical endings and good effects I'll stick The Black Hole on.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Zarjazzer

Wrath of the Titans-the everyday tale of a demi god (Perseus)whose life is turned upside down by da Gods (of Olympus) a scheming to release Kronos (Titan daddy of all the Gods),whilst having the son father issues Hollywood loves but after ESB no one else does. Appallingly edited I presume to get it down to maximise the audience we at least have some half  decent CGI monsters Chaimaeras, cyclops some weirdy two bodied demon thingies but it's the crap acting (Worthington, Fiennes and Neeson vying for the wooden award) that really just sinks the whole thing faster than Atlantis. Some okay battle scenes at the end the only half watchable character was Bill Nighey s who promptly gets killed.

I have seen this movie so you don't have to. DON'T BOTHER.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Bolt-01

I concur with Zarjazzer on his. Wrath of the titans is really poor. The plot didn't hold my attention after the first half hour- which was a shame as it looks good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 04 November, 2012, 03:16:21 PM
2001 A Space Odyssey. Slow, ponderous, overblown and over-rated. Great effects, nice music, a good piece of plot when HAL goes loopy but the first hour could have been edited down to about 8 minutes and the end should have been edited down to capsule/monolith/light show/starchild, none of the colour negative landscape lark.
Next time I want nonsensical endings and good effects I'll stick The Black Hole on.

Said it before and no doubt I'll find an excuse to say it again but regardless of what you think of the film it (I love it) it gave us some of the greatest comics ever with Jack Kirby's follow-up series. If you every get the chance pick um up they are divine.

Frank

I've got an old paperback edition of Moby Dick, where I've gone through all the metaphysical nonsense with a black marker pen, so it's the straightforward story of the hunt for a big whale. You'd find it a gripping and economical read.

Spikes

2001 A Space Odyssey. Slow, ponderous, overblown and over-rated.

Prepare yourself for the inevitable extended cut

Along with - certain films being un-withdrawn, different aspect ratio's for the home releases, Tim Burton 'borrowing' bits n bobs, and now The Shining being shown in its 'US cut' in the UK for the first time, i wonder what's made Stanley Kubrik stop being so darn precious about his films?
Warner Bros will no doubt be happy, though.

Dandontdare

and how many other movies give us Rigsby in Space?

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 November, 2012, 05:08:37 PM...i wonder what's made Stanley Kubrik stop being so darn precious about his films?

Uhh, don't quite know how to break this you...

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 November, 2012, 05:18:11 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 November, 2012, 05:08:37 PM...i wonder what's made Stanley Kubrik stop being so darn precious about his films?

Uhh, don't quite know how to break this you...

Stanley Kubrick's was getting old, so he's gone to live on a farm where there are other cerebral agrophobic auteur directors to play with and lots of space and fresh air for him to not go out and play in. We'll get a new Kubrick for you, one who won't pish on the carpet and chew stuff when we leave him on his own. Here, Fincher, Fincher ...

Spikes

Reading between the lines, im begining to fear the worst. If it is indeed bad news, could you break it to me this way ?