Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Stranded - pretty decent no-budget Christian Slater-starring sci-fi horror about a moonbase that's struck by a meteor with an alien spore in it that infects a crewmember and things continue in an inevitable manner from there.
Now when I say no-budget, I really mean it, I saw this in Tesco for a fiver and it is so cheaply made it as yet doesn't even show up on Slater's Wikipedia filmography, nor does it have a page of its own despite being directed by the dude who made Battlefield Earth, and it really, really does look cheap more often than is ideal - but for all that it's decent enough.  It strikes just the right balance between freakout and grossout body horror, and there's a bit where it struck me that we don't actually know how much is in the heads of characters and what is actually happening for real.  Uncharitably, you could view this as clumsy narrative construction and genre-savvy viewers looking for twists that aren't there, but it's still an element of the story in the end and I think that's for the better as it helps the atmosphere of paranoia in what is essentially a straightforward space-monster b-movie [spoiler]minus the monster because that costs money[/spoiler].
The use of models instead of cgi effects was appreciated, too, even if they weren't spectacularly realised.

COMMANDO FORCES

That was some sentence  :o

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 31 May, 2013, 07:45:48 PMnor does it have a page of its own despite being directed by the dude who made Battlefield Earth,

now there's a quality pedigree!

Professor Bear

Battlefield Earth is a hoot.
There, I've said it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 31 May, 2013, 07:55:48 PM
There, I've said it.

Better than the book. By which I mean there's less of it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 May, 2013, 08:50:34 PM
There, I've said it.

That's one of the best backhanded compliments I've ever heard

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 May, 2013, 08:50:34 PM
There, I've said it.

^ This....... :lol:
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 31 May, 2013, 06:35:09 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 31 May, 2013, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 May, 2013, 10:05:59 AM
Great picture!

At that age the scene that really stuck in my mind was Andromeda stepping out of the bath.  Actually, it still sticks in my mind now!!

Lol same here! As a young boy it made me fall in love with her! I thought she was the ultimate epitome of beauty. The funny thing is my son whilst watching the film said "dad she's very beautiful". I just smiled to myself!

And no doubt thought, with some pride...That's my boy !!

Lol, without doubt!

I also watched The Seven Voyages of Sinbad with him yesterday. Once again he loved it.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ThryllSeekyr

I watched The Wolf Man last Friday. I have the Dvd. The version with Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt and Hugo Weaving in it. The special effects are top notch, especially the transformation scenes and the big fight towards the end. I like Werewolf movies. Watched it twice.

I rented Jack Reacher on the Box Office channel on Saturday night & into Sunday morning. The story of Ex-military cop who becomes a drifter. He hired by a lawyer, who defending the a old war buddy of his who was to blame for the random shooting of some innocent people one day. Jack Reacher Investigates....

The movie was okay. [spoiler]At one stage he is in car chase from the police. after getting caught loitering at a crime scene. He just hops out of the car he's driving and the cars continues onwards towards a intersection where the cops try to apprehend it then an there but he slips into a crowd of people who help him hide ( That was nice of them considering he's on the run from the cops.) and then exits on bus.[/spoiler]

I ended up watching this three times, in roughly six hours. You see I missed the beginning of this movie the first time I watched it. I didn't pay attention to it the second time I watched it and missed the ending and the third time I watched it. I dozed on and off all the way through it. So I need to watch it again. Tom Cruise was very good in it.

I caught the ending of Logan's Run while waiting to watch Jack Reacher. A classic film! [Spoiler]I like the ending where he finds the old man, and brings him back to the borders of their domed city and swims back in through the aqua-ducts and tries to stop the crowd of people within from attending the next carousel. Shouting to them, You don't have to die, you can live. There is another, better world outside.[/spoiler] Michael York is a classic actor.

Buttonman

Logan's Run has Jenny Agutter in the nip - any other plus points are redundant.

I watched The Challenge and really enjoyed it!

TordelBack

Quote from: Buttonman on 04 June, 2013, 09:46:43 PM
Logan's Run has Jenny Agutter in the nip

I thought all films featuring Jenny Agutter had Jenny Agutter in the nip, until I watched The Avengers, and despite hanging around for the after-credits scene, not a glimpse.  Of course I demanded a refund.

Charlie boy

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 June, 2013, 09:56:23 PM
I thought all films featuring Jenny Agutter had Jenny Agutter in the nip, until I watched The Avengers, and despite hanging around for the after-credits scene, not a glimpse.  Of course I demanded a refund.
Wasn't it Jenny Agutter's character who brought a train to a stop in the Railway Children film by waving her knickers on a stick? On Googling said film and seeing she was 18 at the time, I can now make a joke about TordelBack clearly being the driver and nobody will think any less of him...

TordelBack

Quote from: Charlie boy on 04 June, 2013, 10:05:40 PM...nobody will think any less of him...

As if that were possible.

Hawkmumbler

Star trek: Into Darkness

[spoiler]KHHHHHHHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!![/spoiler]

:lol:

Charlie boy

Something of a Next Movie Watched? here but LADY IN THE WATER is on BBC1 in around an hour. It obtained a one-star review in the TV guide and I remember my brother saying it was bad but I myself have never seen it. To anybody who has- is this something I can just look at without having to really think to kill a little time or am I going to be angry with myself for sitting through it?