Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

2000 AD Online Forum has struck me as being a remarkable for it's lack of hostility so far.  Even in some heated debates.  I have not witnessed any moderator intervention as of yet and that is a testament to the good job they do and how well members like to maintain a pleasant environment.  This is the first forum I have joined in years because I am more than well versed in the machinations of internet decorum.

suachie, I appreciate your reply.

Oh and by the way.  I never actually explicitly said I disliked the film in its entirety.  I made one criticism, one ambiguous comment, three positive comments and a repeat of the first criticism with more of a focus on specifics.  Overall, I call that a positive review.

JamesC

It's no good backtracking now Star Trek H8R!!!

:lol:

Richmond Clements

QuoteI have not witnessed any moderator intervention as of yet

I know better than to get into a Star Trek argument...

von Boom

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 October, 2013, 06:24:36 PM

Didn't Vizzini say that in Princess Bride?

pictsy

I feel sorry for Star Trek V : The Final Frontier.  I thought I was definitely more harsh towards that film than I was Star Trek IV, but who rushes to defend poor Star Trek V, eh?  ;)

Well sod it, I will.  If you don't like giant ethereal heads shooting laser beams out of it's eyes then you are more than dead inside, Pictsy, you are hollow bar the small, cold, granite stone held in place by cobwebs that is your heart!

There, that told me!
:)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 October, 2013, 06:24:36 PM

Hell just froze over and Michael Jackson came back to life!

Frank

It'll be interesting to see what you make of the next film in the series. I remember it being mostly pants, except for this brilliant, self aware line *.

* Actually, watching it again, Shatner ruins the line with his delivery. I suppose if you can't stand ham then a film featuring Shatner isn't for you. I've been disappointed you haven't offered a commentary on the development of the head coverings sported by Kirk in each instalment.

pictsy

The hammy acting was something I commented on in my brief review of the first film iirc.  I have actually got used to it now.  I have to be honest, possibly to my shame, that I haven't been keeping track of Kirk's hair.  Scotty's waistline on the other hand...

JamesC

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 07:06:16 PM
The hammy acting was something I commented on in my brief review of the first film iirc.  I have actually got used to it now.  I have to be honest, possibly to my shame, that I haven't been keeping track of Kirk's hair.  Scotty's waistline on the other hand...

I actually really like all of the original cast Star Trek films. I think Generations was where things started going downhill.
I'd say the first 6 films are probably my favourite Trek overall. I like TNG but the films never seemed as good as the series and I didn't like the introduction of the Borg Queen.

Dandontdare

do a youtube search for 'Shatner of the Mount' for a great mash-up of his extended waffle from the DVD extras to ST:5

pictsy

Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country  Well that is that, I guess.  It was OK.  It has its flaws, but I don't think they are of any serious detriment to the overall end product.  Equally it does not excel anywhere in particular.  The plot wasn't ambitious, but I think that was blessing.  I was periodically playing 'spot the DS9 actor', though.  Kim Cattrall was alright in the film but I don't think she made a convincing Vulcan.

I'm not going to carry on watching the rest of the Star Trek films, I seen the others (TNG) many times before and can go a long time without watching them again.  I'll have to find something else to watch.

JamesC

Quote from: pictsy on 22 October, 2013, 09:15:10 PM
Star Trek VI : The Undiscovered Country  Well that is that, I guess.  It was OK.  It has its flaws, but I don't think they are of any serious detriment to the overall end product.  Equally it does not excel anywhere in particular.  The plot wasn't ambitious, but I think that was blessing.  I was periodically playing 'spot the DS9 actor', though.  Kim Cattrall was alright in the film but I don't think she made a convincing Vulcan.

I'm not going to carry on watching the rest of the Star Trek films, I seen the others (TNG) many times before and can go a long time without watching them again.  I'll have to find something else to watch.

How about Police Academy 1-6?

pictsy

Quote from: JamesC on 22 October, 2013, 09:35:00 PM
How about Police Academy 1-6?

No 'Mission to Moscow'?  It has Ron Perlman in it, y'know.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 22 October, 2013, 07:20:49 PMI didn't like the introduction of the Borg Queen.

Oh, thank god - I thought it was just me! All the Trekkies seem to love her, but to me she destroyed what I thought the Borg were about. I thought they were all one mind, no individualism, no freedom of thought. That's what freaked me out about them - if you were assimilated you were consumed by this vast consciousness, and the ID, the ego, was lost forever.  That scared me.

Then it turns out they're just a bloody giant ant hive, with a queen at the top.  Bloody ants! That's all the Borg are!  Pah.

pictsy

I felt the Borg Queen worked well in the context of First Contact - if it were a standalone film.  Nevertheless, I shared in that disappointment that the one shared mind was some titless torso.  When I first saw the episode that introduced the Borg in TNG, it was really chilling.  They were some sort of organised space zombies and there was something unsettling about the notion of becoming one of them.