Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I do love Temple of Doom, 'cos it got me through the first day of being dumped by my first ever love, at the tender age of 16. I did what I always do when in emotional turmoil - go to the cinema. On that occasion ToD had just come out, and I watched it back to back three times. Hurrah for Indy!

Raiders is still better though.

Oh, and another vote for The Thing. It's John Carpenter's best work if you ask me, though I love the majority of his other stuff too.

Professor Bear

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - despite having the name of a videogame from the early 2000s and the script to match, this is really boring.  I imagine Ben Affleck is glad to see it as it means he can stop being the shittest Jack Ryan now.  I could forgive thin characters in Godzilla because it's Godzilla, but I expect more in a film that is actually named for one of its characters and is clearly meant to be the start of a franchise.
It's not even like it's aggressively bad, just stubbornly banal and dull, so that when action scenes finally happen you just end up asking why they're even in there and wonder if they're from a separate film entirely.
There's been some decent spy flicks this last few years, this is just vapor.

Tiplodocus

I enjoyed it - less action, more analytical I thought. The ending was rushed. And I preferred Chris Pine to Affleck (though Affleck can be good) but my memory of Affleck's outing is based on one interrupted viewing many years ago.

But how does Kiera Knightly keep getting work?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 May, 2014, 10:26:33 AM

I can't say I've ever had particularly positive or negative feelings about any of her performances either way, but she is very pretty, which I'm sure doesn't hurt your Hollywood employment chances.

TordelBack

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 May, 2014, 11:01:22 AM

I can't say I've ever had particularly positive or negative feelings about any of her performances either way, but she is very pretty, which I'm sure doesn't hurt your Hollywood employment chances.

S'right. 

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 22 May, 2014, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: Satanist on 21 May, 2014, 07:29:51 PM
As a young un I found a video hidden in a cupboard, its title was "The Last American Virgin". Now I dont know what this was about as I never got to see it but I imagine it was some kind of Porkies rip off.

What was actually on the tape was AWiL which I watched and scared me shitless, but I couldnt tell my parents why because I shouldnt have seen in the first place.

God I love that film.

Last American Virgin is not quite a Porkies rip off. It does have elements of the 80s American teen sex comedy that was prevalent then but it is a remake of an Israeli (I think) film so is a bit different, notably at the end of the film which isn't the normal boy meets girl happy ending. Basically[spoiler]boy fancies new girl at school but is too shy to say anything, she goes out with his mate who is much cooler. She gets pregnant and is ditched by the cool guy. Unrequited love bloke sells loads of his stuff to pay for her abortion, they get together and throw a party. At which she promptly fucks him off for the bloke who made her pregnant. The last shot of the film is a close up of the guy's face about to burst into tears so a bit of a downbeat ending. [/spoiler]

You know, that wouldn't happen in real life. Not with me at least. I would just ignore the girl when it becomes obvious she only wants what little money I have and force her to either self-abort or have the baby she can't bring up herself or with the arsehole father of the child who would eventually abandon her anyway. Yes, that's see close of her crying tear filled face and a close up of her bleeding arse-hole/vagina. Yes, I'm can be a arsehole as well. Just not the same one the other guy is......So, If I'm not the guy who gets the girl in the first place, I'll just be the guy who ignores her when she really needs attention no one else else is giving her.

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 22 May, 2014, 09:54:17 AM
What was actually on the tape was AWiL which I watched and scared me shitless, but I couldnt tell my parents why because I shouldnt have seen in the first place.

I just lost huge-ass post I was typing all yesterday and this morning. I went to sleep on the couch for a few hours and came back to the computer could find the page I had opened here. Is it possible for web pages to be remotely hacked and forcibly disappeared......it was all about American Werewolf in Paris and how the mythology of that film screwed with the mythology first film.

Does it make any sense?

Can anybody explain it to me?

Which mythology is a improvement?

I think the it was improved with the second film.

I also explain as I described the whole film again......

How it did and did not relate to a role-playing-game I mentioned earlier.

I think that was it really...but I went on and on and on.... wanted to include video snippets as well.

Here is one... the Alternate-Ending.

I think there is a another one where they both bungie-jump out of the top of the Statue of Liberty
after being joined in wed lock.

Hmmm.. Julie Delpy, not as hot as you might think she when you look at her for long time and despite how thrilled with it I was at the time of it's debut. I think this film was a embarrassment for all involved.

Just watch her awfully acted Transformation Scene....

Have you seen of any of the cast in other films ever since.

Tom Everett Scott was also in Dead-Man On Campus and some television series I can't even remember exactly.

I'm really pissed I lost that page...It had some good stuff...I can't quite recall now.......For instance...did you know that all the close-ups of the werewolve's face were used as model for the face of big demon creature used in the film based on Spawn. They really needed something and saved time and money that way. That's why looks so familiar if your seen both films.

Notice how samey they both look.

That's another thing I hated about this film....they made all the werewolves identical ...like in a even more current werewolf movie called Wardogs . Anyway they weren't that much like wolves in their half-beast shapes.

Did I mention the Twilight saga with it's sparkly Vampires. It's just so anathelma to what I know about the vampire legends. Is there anything in Vampire lore that suggests they should be able to do this.
I think there be actually. As I have read the real blood drinkers of history, were mortal and then there was that fellow.. the Turkish guy called Vlad the Impaler...he was a count....I recall he managed to survive being shot several times, but died later.

He never sparkled though....that is just retarded.

You might as well have the trolls from LOTR and The Hobbit......sparkle instead of turn
to stone when exposed to sunlight as well.

Sparkly Trolls.......heh:)

Lamenting my lost work....:(

Fungus

Quote from: Goaty on 22 May, 2014, 09:11:29 PM
darkest of all Indy Jones films and brilliant poster ever!

I enjoy your contributions Goaty, but best EVER ?  ☺

...sorry...

Professor Bear

I enjoyed it - less action, more analytical I thought.

To each their own, and perhaps I am letting my enjoyment of the older films colour my judgment a little, as though I never got along with the books, the films were always workable if occasionally unremarkable thrillers.  They knew what they were supposed to be and they did a good job of putting that onscreen, and even the Affleck one that people hate was an okayish reboot.
But in the spirit of Richmond's comments over on the Godzilla thread where he rightly points out that we should be equally critical of films regardless of their genre, I have a couple of nitpicks about this non-monster flick: the problems for me began with this one when the very first thing we see is 911 establishing a contemporary narrative, yet the film runs straight back to Cold War political shenanigans where the Russians are the baddies, only they're doing the stuff Al Qaeda does like terror attacks and sleeper cells, so it's a film that knows it has to move on from the older films and the Cold War background of the main character, but doesn't - or can't - do so.
The plot also relies heavily on coincidence, and 90 minutes of Jack being an investment banker telling his boss that some finances are odd so he needs to go to Russia to look at spreadsheets.  Also he is banging his nurse even though she says they can't date - this is never explained.  The baddies' plan makes no sense, and not just because it's Sean Bean's plan from Goldeneye only in reverse (instead of "steal money, cover it up with terror attack", the terror attack comes first), nor because a large terror attack will cause the financial markets to be closed and transactions invalidated, nor because Saudi money in US banks and not Russian cash is what floats the US economy (again coming back to Russians taking the place of stereotypical Middle Easterners).
The heroes' plan makes no sense - it hinges on Jack being told to take a walk for a bit during the time that he needs to slip away to break into the baddies' office, but what if the baddy just left the table himself?  And why doesn't the CIA chief just have the markets closed when he finds out there's going to be an attack?  Don't the markets automatically close if Wall Street is evacuated in case of a terror attack?
Without ever establishing his credentials as an action hero, action scenes just start and suddenly Jack is Batman - no buildup, no steady pacing to make these scenes make contextual sense like even the earliest films like Red October did, he's just Batman now, even though the film seems to understand on some level that its central character is not supposed to be Batman and is just an analyst who shouldn't be trying to be Batman because the first 20 minutes are dedicated to establishing that he's not Batman and has a gammy back, both of which are entirely forgotten in the second half of the film without any kind of justification or resolution.
There's a bit at the start where Jack is in a chopper in Iraq or somewhere so you think this scene is going to be all about action, but then he's shouting on the phone to someone about some analysis he did, and then he starts explaining his work to someone in the chopper and then the chopper explodes and then Jack is going "awww.  AWWWWW." for a few minutes, nothing is resolved and then he gets over it and people don't tell him to fuck off.  This is a paradigm for the next two hours.

MORE LIKE JACK RYAN SHITE RECRUIT.

The Bissler

I watched Pacifc Rim and despite having being looking forward to it, I was quite appalled.  I'm dismayed that many respected film critics seem to think it was great fun.  I thought it was the worst film I'd seen in a long time with comedy relief characters that took me back to the dark days of the Stallone Judge Dredd.  *shudders*

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 May, 2014, 04:01:38 PM
Without ever establishing his credentials as an action hero, action scenes just start and suddenly Jack is Batman - no buildup, no steady pacing to make these scenes make contextual sense like even the earliest films like Red October did, he's just Batman now, even though the film seems to understand on some level that its central character is not supposed to be Batman and is just an analyst who shouldn't be trying to be Batman because the first 20 minutes are dedicated to establishing that he's not Batman

Most films could be improved by replacing the main character with Batman. Not the boring Batman from the Nolan films, obviously.

Professor Bear

I suppose the end of Shite Recruit is the main character discovering that some days you just can't get rid of a bomb*...

*  [spoiler]And then he gets rid of it by dumping it in the sea.[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 May, 2014, 05:27:20 PM
I suppose the end of Shite Recruit is the main character discovering that some days you just can't get rid of a bomb*...

*  [spoiler]And then he gets rid of it by dumping it in the sea.[/spoiler]

You mean Godzilla, right?

Professor Bear

I agree.  Shite Recruit would have been much better with Batman or Godzilla in the lead role.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Goaty on 22 May, 2014, 09:11:29 PM
Thirty years ago this week this film was out, I loved the film, darkest of all Indy Jones films and brilliant poster ever!

I had the official t-shirt...don't know where it is now though....it definitely wouldn't fit me.....sweet memories...:)

Right now....I'm watching Pet Cemetary....... and thinking that the young blonde-hair boy...barely a infant in the film would be a full grown man by now. I thought his portrayl of murderous toddler very creepy and wasn't sure if they were using a very life-like puppet or cgi.

I, Cosh

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 May, 2014, 03:12:35 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 22 May, 2014, 02:51:52 PM
As an aside, I often think Peter Weir's versatility as a director stops him getting the recognition he deserves. Have a look at his filmography and point out the stinkers.

He's fairly consistent although I found Picnic at Hanging Rock overbearingly obtuse. But then I did watch it during film studies and that was kind of a theme.
I can see that but I had the good fortune to see at least some of Picnic when Channel 4 first showed it. I'd have been ten or eleven and I always associate it with the sensation of being pleasantly mystified.
We never really die.