Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 18 January, 2016, 02:13:20 PMDie Hard followed by Die Hard 2. Both are still excellent films.
Inspired by Alan?  We just watched Galaxy Quest.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: sheridan on 18 January, 2016, 10:53:43 PM

Didn't realise there was a director's cut - shall have to check it out.

It's quite different from the original, especially the first act: different opening, different alien f'goodness sake.
Lock up your spoons!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 January, 2016, 11:01:42 PM

It's quite different from the original, especially the first act: different opening, different alien f'goodness sake.

Yeah, it's genuinely like watching a whole different film - and a much better one, to boot.
@jamesfeistdraws

von Boom

Quote from: sheridan on 18 January, 2016, 10:57:14 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 18 January, 2016, 02:13:20 PMDie Hard followed by Die Hard 2. Both are still excellent films.
Inspired by Alan?  We just watched Galaxy Quest.

Yes. I would have watch Galaxy Quest, but I watched only a couple of weeks ago.

Goaty

Headhunters - another great film from Norway like Dead Snow 2.

A businessman by day, and with his lifestyle by stealing paintings then one day... brilliant enjoyable film!

Mardroid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 January, 2016, 11:06:31 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 January, 2016, 11:01:42 PM

Yeah, it's genuinely like watching a whole different film - and a much better one, to boot.

And technically it's not a Director's Cut, as the Director was not involved.  Assembly Cut is the name to look for. As well as different takes on certain scenes there's a whole chunk of footage restored which really adds to the film. As a whole, it could be neatened up, but it is a real improvement on the original film. Which I don't find that bad, to be fair.

Predators: A bit too similar to the original, and I have mixed feelings about introducing a new breed of predator, but overall, I liked it. I was irritated by the disparagement of Predator 2 by Predators reviewers though. Like "no predator film has been this good since the original."

Um... at least Predator 2 did something original with the premise. The acting is a bit hokey in places but the story was good melding the Predator story tropes within what is essentially a cop mystery story. It's as good as Predators in my opinion. Better in some ways.

TordelBack

Predator 2 is way better than Predators.  On occasion I prefer Predator 2 to Predator.

Professor Bear

I love Predator 2, me, but Predators was as good as you could hope it would be given the downward trajectory the franchise was on with the bafflingly poor and nasty AvP films (which I understand to be canon Predator, but not canon Alien).  It does contain Walton Goggins delivering the line "die, space faggot" without a trace of irony, but I concede that's about as good as it ever gets - even if my favorite bit is when the characters hide in the one place the Predators would never think to look: inside the only shelter on the entire planet, which has nothing obstructing it from view because it is located on top of a mountain.

JamesC

Predator 2 is great fun. I think it's the best one.
Predators was rubbish. I thought the demotion of the original Predators was unnecessary and having a whole gang of them on the hunt seemed to miss the point.

HdE

I'm in the mood for making some very black and white statements in this thread:

Predator 2 is bloody fantastic.

Predators is a massively underwhelming.

And Headhunters is a movie that anyone who HASN'T seen should get on right away. Absolutely excellent stuff.

[Goes back to sleep.]
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

ThryllSeekyr

First two Predator films were good and I guess the first cross over with Alien (I was really looking forward to that one!) was mostly wrong, but I thought pyramid was cool.

They should do more work on this one....

Satanist

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - If you liked ZombieLand (which I love) then this is less funny with a much smaller budget but is still quite good. Some nice low brow jokes and extreme gore. Only issue was that the zombies seem to switch between runners/shufflers as the script dictates with no rhyme or reason but that's just my own nit-pickery.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

richerthanyou

Dog Day Afternoon

Al Pacinos finest acting IMO. [spoiler]You feel really bad at for him at the end of the film. [/spoiler]
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Ghost MacRoth

Brilliant film.  It was this, Panic In Needle Park, and the fact that Diane Keaton thought he had lovely eyes that got him the part in Godfather.  So I have read anyway. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!