Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Star Trek: First Contact.

Patrick Stewart is pretty good but everything else is cack.

The Borg Queen is one of the worst things ever.

TordelBack

She certainly is, but it's such a cool design and a great performance that I can almost ignore the awfulness. First Contact is a terrible, terrible Trek film if you think about any of it for even a second, but somehow the rapid procession of rather cool scenes and great visuals mean I can coast along in its wake enjoying the moment.

Hawkmumbler

The Trek movies follow the odd pattern of Odd Numbered ones being awful and Even Numbered ones being good or better.

First contact is an awful movie.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I think it's the best TNG movie. Only by virtue of the rest being absolutely terrible.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

I'd love to see a fan edit of First Contact that removes as much of Mr Data and the Borg Queen's scenes as possible, but it's hard to criticise a film whose plot sounds like something a Simpsons character would pitch when visiting Hollywood: "my movie is about robot zombies from outer space that travel back in time to stop humanity from meeting Mr Spock."

NapalmKev

I like First Contact. It's not a masterpiece by any standard but then neither is The Force Awakens!

Here's a massive piece of nerdery for you: Given that the crew of the Enterprise interact with Zephram Cochrane, altering his cynical/pessimistic viewpoint to that of hope. Does that suggest that without their intervention he would have been an arse to the Vulcans, killing them and giving rise to the Alternate Universe?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

NapalmKev

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 June, 2016, 09:32:39 PM
"MIRROR" universe.

I'll give you that one, my nerdery clearly isn't all that like I thought it was. But this inspires further nerdery on my part: If it's a mirror universe (of the original universe) where does that leave the Multiverse?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

Where it always was.

More importantly there was a bunch of Mirror universe episodes of Deep Space 9 where everyone was gay instead of evil, so does this mean that being gay is a choice in the Trek universe?

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 19 June, 2016, 07:47:34 PM
I think it's the best TNG movie. Only by virtue of the rest being absolutely terrible.

This is sadly true.

TordelBack

Quote from: NapalmKev on 19 June, 2016, 09:26:45 PM
Here's a massive piece of nerdery for you: Given that the crew of the Enterprise interact with Zephram Cochrane, altering his cynical/pessimistic viewpoint to that of hope. Does that suggest that without their intervention he would have been an arse to the Vulcans, killing them and giving rise to the Alternate Universe?

Maybe he'd have been in a friendlier more positive mood anyway if his launch complex hadn't just been bombarded by forces unknown?

Michael Knight

any of you folks like STNG GENERATIONS? I watched it over the weekend and still really enjoy it. An ambitious movie and I loved Malcolm McDowell as the baddie!

I dont think the STNG movies are as good as the movies with the original crew but I quite enjoted Insurrection, even if it is a glorified double episode with bigger budget.  :)

Professor Bear

Timey-wimey meddling doesn't result in alternate realities being created in Trek science, it results in alternate timelines - as evidenced by what seemed like every third episode of Voyager, and four years of Enterprise.

Tiplodocus

I absolutely love FIRST CONTACT me.

Admittedly, the Borg Queen is a stupid idea but brilliantly executed. And if we didn't have her, we wouldn't have the Data  blow job scene which is all kinds of awesome.

And I choke up whenever Picard says he isn't abandoning ship, he's going back for a friend.  That's Star Trek for me.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

See, that's the problem - it's full of good bits (which is why I still watch it) and great performances (Cochrane and Lilly are very good, the crew mostly do a good turn each), they're just embedded in an awful inconsistent mess of a thing.

To pick an example from Tips' post, since when was Data Picard's besty?  Data's pals are most obviously Geordie and Wesley, but also Troi and Riker (all conveniently absent). Picard and Data have never been close, except maybe when playing Dixon Hill.  But the plot wants a Kirk and Spock setup, and it also wants Picard to be able to slaughter/abandon his non-android borgised crewmen at will, so off to rescue Friend Data, rather than Second Officer Data, he goes. Gives us some great scenes, but still nonsense.