Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

"It" - Cinema
I was really looking forward to this having bought and read the book in 1986 (I still have the first edition on my shelf) and also enjoyed the 1990 TV mini series when it came out, of which I rewatched recently on blu ray and was happy the way it still stood up today, especially the children's section.

Unfortunately this new version is awful. They clearly missed the 'sh' off the title.
Full of unnecessary jump scares and loud noises on the soundtrack. 
The film is bloody awful and overlong by a good half an hour.
Terrible film. 2/10

Colin YNWA

Oh man that's such a shame. Loved the book (must re-read that and see if it holds up) and the telly show was pretty good (saw that again not that long ago and it holds up okay). Had been watching the trailers for this with interest as they seemed pretty good.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 September, 2017, 04:29:22 PM
Oh man that's such a shame. Loved the book (must re-read that and see if it holds up) and the telly show was pretty good (saw that again not that long ago and it holds up okay). Had been watching the trailers for this with interest as they seemed pretty good.

Hey, it's just my opinion, and I probably did not do myself any favours by watching the TV mini series so recently. The cast are pretty decent but they are saddled with a piss poor script and a director with an eye to directing TV commercials in the future.
But don't let me put you off.

Goaty

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 September, 2017, 05:07:14 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 September, 2017, 04:29:22 PM

Hey, it's just my opinion, and I probably did not do myself any favours by watching the TV mini series so recently. The cast are pretty decent but they are saddled with a piss poor script and a director with an eye to directing TV commercials in the future.
But don't let me put you off.

I never liked the TV series either so it's got a hard task impressing me.

Still intrigued to see it though.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JamesC

TV soundtracks on 90s American drama shows are almost always awful. IT is no exception. The shitty music and sound effects completely ruin the TV version for me.
The film has been getting pretty good reviews so I'll certainly be willing to give it a go. I'm expecting Stranger Things with jumps and gore.

Mattofthespurs

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JamesC on 08 September, 2017, 05:48:51 PM
TV soundtracks on 90s American drama shows are almost always awful. IT is no exception. The shitty music and sound effects completely ruin the TV version for me.
The film has been getting pretty good reviews so I'll certainly be willing to give it a go. I'm expecting Stranger Things with jumps and gore.

Going to happy then.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 September, 2017, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 September, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Salute of the Jugger. Rutger Hauer has made some piss-poor films in his time. This is not one of them.

Chort vozme!  Now that is going back a bit.  Early nineties wasn't it?  That era when a hell of a lot of cheese was being made that included some real gems.  Pretty much every sci-fi flick of the time was set in a post apocalyptic landscape (because it made the sets dirt cheap IIRC).  Trying to remember if it was him in that weird one set in a semi flooded London that got made a few years later.  Of course that could have been a really bad dream rather than a bizarre film that actually got made.

Late eighties, I think, but a really good flick. I remember the flooded London one too, vaguely - wasn't there a monster in it with metal teeth and Ray Bans or were we telepathically linked to the same fever dream?

Anyway, I reckon Salute of the Jugger is probably his third best film after Blade Runner andThe Hitcher.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 04 September, 2017, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 September, 2017, 12:42:15 PM
The Hitman's Bodyguard - a nice bit of action comedy fluff for a Sunday evening.  Some of the rather OTT violence didn't sit well with the comedy at times, but there were definitely laugh out loud moments.  Ryan Reynolds was totally unlikeable, and Samuel L J stole the show as usual.

I won't be watching it more than once though, unless it comes on the telly and I'm too hungover to lift my head and look for the remote.

So a distinct possibility then. ;)

Nah. If I can stay up til 5am outdrinking Bisley and Fabry, and still be well enough the next day for a sightseeing tour of London, then it's unlikely I'll ever see this film again.  :D

Hawkmumbler

Eraserhead, in 4K, on the big screen. Many heads where scratched, many laughs where had. A brilliant classic movie by one of the great geniuses of our time.

It was preceded by Lynch's 1970 short, The Grandmother, which i'd never seen before and it is frankly one of the freakiest experiences of my life.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 September, 2017, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 September, 2017, 07:30:52 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 September, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Salute of the Jugger. Rutger Hauer has made some piss-poor films in his time. This is not one of them.

Chort vozme!  Now that is going back a bit.  Early nineties wasn't it?  That era when a hell of a lot of cheese was being made that included some real gems.  Pretty much every sci-fi flick of the time was set in a post apocalyptic landscape (because it made the sets dirt cheap IIRC).  Trying to remember if it was him in that weird one set in a semi flooded London that got made a few years later.  Of course that could have been a really bad dream rather than a bizarre film that actually got made.

Late eighties, I think, but a really good flick. I remember the flooded London one too, vaguely - wasn't there a monster in it with metal teeth and Ray Bans or were we telepathically linked to the same fever dream?

Anyway, I reckon Salute of the Jugger is probably his third best film after Blade Runner andThe Hitcher.

May well be eighties rather than nineties.  Remember watching the video (sheesh!) when I was stationed at Wildenrath so I guess the original release date would have been earlier.  Couple of others he did that were daft but fun.  A quick filmography search makes for fun reading:  Hitcher, Wedlock, Blind Fury, the Buffy movie ...  At least he didn't do a Nick Cage!

The Legendary Shark

And... Hobo With a Shotgun.

*shudder*

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Wonder Woman. Generic and by the numbers. A very tame film all in all.

dweezil2

Quote from: von Boom on 10 September, 2017, 11:02:39 AM
Wonder Woman. Generic and by the numbers. A very tame film all in all.

Yep!
The praise heaped upon this film utterly baffles me!
It's like some collective mass delusion, unless people are frightened to call it out for just how mediocre it is, in fear of being accused of sexism.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo