Main Menu

Gave Artist's In-Jokes

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 17 September, 2002, 03:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Not so much an in-joke as an observation about eagle shoulder pads. Until Steve Dillon came along, no Dredd artist had ever drawn 'em face on.

Tommo

--Oh, and a member of the Council Of Five is named after another mate of mine. You'll just have to guess which one...

(Flicks through prog) Buelle. Niles. McTighe. Ramos. Hollister.

esoteric ed

The Mechanimo robots named after the legendary JACKSONS combo Tito, Jefferson etc, as for the reason, who knows?

Ed

DavidXBrunt

Nah, either Ron Smith or Ian Gibson drew him 'pad on' in the 200's.

2000AD Online

Oh sure, Dredd artists do it all the time, now. But Dillon was the first, if not 'Alone In The Crowd' (Prog 205?), soon after. If not before.

ukdane

There's a picture of a baby on the last panel on one of the (IIRC) recent Lenny Zero episodes...
Cheers

-Daney

jock

yep, that's my boy....there's been a spate of adverts recently with a babys face on billboards, so I thought I'd continue that into mega city...

Jock

Jayzus B. Christ

I remember a good one in Sinister Dexter where various billboards read 'Drink Fek', 'Arse' and 'Girls'. Excellent, but I can't remember the artist.
There was another one where all the buidings were shaped like huge cocks. Randy Stewart eat your heart out.

DavidXBrunt

In the Nemesis story 'The Gothic Empire' there's a sequence with junkie robots. I think Robot Archie is amongst them.

ukdane

Arthur Ranson drew a portrait of Peter Hogan (IIRC), and used his image as that of a psychiatrist in Button Man.

And in this months Meg, one of the streets in Scarlet Traces is called 'Erskine Lane' afer the artist.
Cheers

-Daney

MOONSHINE

I seem to remember lots of familiar faces appearing in the mass grave scenes post Necropolis.
Can't remember the details though.

Smiley

In 1311's Dredd "Zoom Time", Pyre makes an appearance in the crowd. It looks like Zoidberg from Futurama could be in there too!

Generally Contrary

A Walter the Wobot look-alike makes an appearance in Alan Moore's Top Ten, though from what I hear of his panel decriptions I doubt the artist had much to do with this.

Andy B.

karne

In the Dredd lunar based death race 2ooo parody, which is apparently Bolland's first published 2K artwork, one of the cit's has a carrier bag with BOLLO'S printed on it. Although not the earliest in-joke, it's certainly a good example of making sure you get credit for your work.

ukdane

In this weeks Terror Tale, there is a tv screen, and 'Farscape' is on.... a picture of the evil scorpius is depicted on the screen.
Cheers

-Daney