Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

In the last twelve months I (West coast USA) have experienced:

Wildfires burning 20 miles away from my house that cloaked the entire city in a terrifying orange haze.

An ice storm that brought down trees and branches all over the state (including multiple branches from the tree in my back garden), knocking out power and heating for tens of thousands of people for as long as a week (myself included).

An insane heat wave that saw temps reach 45c (and not drop below the high twenties for a week solid, even in the middle of the night) and required the city to organise 'cooling centers' around the city to help prevent houseless people from dying in droves.

It's been quite a year....

Funt Solo

*waves at Radiator from just up the road* - I think I recall you might be in Seattle?

Not only has all that extreme weather happened, but I feel like we got off lightly in comparison to neighboring areas. And globally, of course.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

Portland.

Yeah I believe the heatwave was even more extreme up in Canada.

milstar

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-heatwave-could-last-september-24766936

Sigh... I really wish this heat period is over. I personally don't take heat well. Can't imagine if 47C arrives here.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

I don't know where your "here" is, but, frankly, I'd quite like some heat—or at least some sun. The south of the UK's had the most dismal, grey, wet summer I can remember—even worse than one during the mid-2010s that was especially awful. Bar that two-week burst of relative warmth, it's been shite.

As for 47°C, I suspect the chances of that ever happening in the UK are zero—at least unless something very unexpected happens. It's more likely the Gulf Stream will conk out and we'll end up with a much colder rather than a much warmer climate.

milstar

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2021, 04:41:09 PM
I don't know where your "here" is, but, frankly, I'd quite like some heat—or at least some sun. The south of the UK's had the most dismal, grey, wet summer I can remember—even worse than one during the mid-2010s that was especially awful. Bar that two-week burst of relative warmth, it's been shite.

As for 47°C, I suspect the chances of that ever happening in the UK are zero—at least unless something very unexpected happens. It's more likely the Gulf Stream will conk out and we'll end up with a much colder rather than a much warmer climate.

Today, unexpected is a very common thing. Especially when it comes to climate. I'd rather like to keep the rain, than all potential roasting outside. The times where scientists determined that we live in repeating cold and warm circles has ended.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: milstar on 16 August, 2021, 04:55:45 PM

The times where scientists determined that we live in repeating cold and warm circles has ended.

No one "determined" that. It wasn't a decision, but what happened. Until we screwed the temperature of the planet.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Link to the actual paper described above.

(Sorry about the double post - it took me a moment to locate a download that wasn't behind a paywall.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

The Legendary Shark

The pros and cons of Milankovitch Cycles are discussed in the paper - which I'm finding fascinating throughout.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 August, 2021, 11:50:56 AM

How much has the Sun influenced Northern Hemisphere temperature trends? An ongoing debate.

Quote...a document espousing the debunked idea that the sun is responsible for global warming, along with Ronan Connolly, a self-described independent scientist who questions the reality of human-caused climate change, and his father Michael Connolly.
From White House Removes Scientists After Rogue Climate Denial Publications

Anti-vaxx and a human-induced climate change denier. Are you just anti-consensus as a general character trait? (That's rhetorical - you already told me in the past that facts don't actually matter at all to you, because you just have a feeling about things being off. So, off they must be.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 August, 2021, 04:59:37 PM

The pros and cons of Milankovitch Cycles are discussed in the paper - which I'm finding fascinating throughout.

Ah lol, I read only what's written in the link of your first comment, in that brief text, which immediately reminiscenced me on the ice age theory. The question is whether we will be still live under heating conditions, if not for human contribution. I think so yes, but not that severe. Apparently, this is the warm period. I remember that I read somewhere that temperature in Britain one year in 18th (or was it 19th) century was even warmer than today.