Main Menu

Spring-Heeled Jack: the first superhero?

Started by kev67, 13 November, 2020, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev67

I learnt something today off YouTube. There was a character called Spring-Heeled Jack from a Victorian penny-dreadful, who had about a fifty year run. I have wondered before whether penny-dreadfuls were more like comics than books. However, would  he really be the first? What about all those ancient Greek gods and demi-gods? I mean, Thor already has a comic strip written about him. But supposing you were to stick to regularly published printed characters, who would be the first?

Richard

I think Jack was a rather than a hero. But the answer to who was first will almost certainly be somewhere on the Rusty Staples blog.

TordelBack

He's had versions appear in at least 3 2000AD strips too (Zenith Phase III,  London Falling and Absalom), as well as David Hitchcock's excellent eponymous comic reprinted in the Meg.

Richard

I don't remember that in the Meg, and it's not listed on Barney. Are you sure it wasn't somewhere else?

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 13 November, 2020, 11:50:09 PM
I don't remember that in the Meg, and it's not listed on Barney. Are you sure it wasn't somewhere else?

Entirely possible!

EDIT: Just checked, it's there alright, 6 pages in Meg 245. I did think there was more than a few pages, though, remember enjoying it - I may be confusing it with a collection?

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

It was definitely in the Megazine. And absolutely moodily brilliant it was too.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Meanwhile, Tom Sparke's entirely different and wholly fun take on the matter is currently kickstarting its second issue:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springheeledjack/a-sting-in-the-tail-spring-heeled-jack-issue-2?ref=project_build#

M.I.K.

One of the Penny Dreadful versions was a Count of Monte Cristo type with a secret lair, a variety of gadgets, (funded using what remained of his vast fortune), batwings, a tendency to lurk in shadows and fog, and an overwhelming desire to right wrongs and defend the innocent. He also liked carving the letter "S" into people/things a couple of decades before Zorro demonstrated a similar habit. His secret identity was Bertram Wraydon.