Main Menu

Comics we're excited about in 2021

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 January, 2021, 09:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

We've not had one of these threads for a couple of year but something I just notice over at bleeding Cool made me want to add one.

From Jeff Lemire

QuoteThe truth is, I have decided it's time to shrink the Black Hammer Universe back down to one core title. All the universe building the last couple of years has been really fun and, I hope, has produced some good comics, but now I want to take all that world building and use it as the foundation for one core Black Hammer title again. That series will be called BLACK HAMMER REBORN and it will launch this Spring/Summer. Hopefully we will announce a few more details on that in the coming month or two.

I also have a new MADAME DRAGONFLY series drawn by my co-creator Dean Ormston and another series drawn by Tyler Crooke that will both build out the supernatural/mystical side of the BHU in 2021. And those will dovetail into Black Hammer Reborn. I have already written 12 issues of Reborn.

Loved all the Black Hammer books and this sounds like a great way to roll them all back. Very excited by this. Hope its going to be drawn by Dean.

So what comics have peaked your interest in the coming year?

broodblik

The American stuff I always wait for it to be collected. Here is some stuff I am waiting for the collections that hopefully will arrive this year:

- More Black Hammer would be nice
- We Only Find Them When They're Dead from Al Ewing and Simone Di Meo
- Dune: House Atreides by Kevin J. Anderson and Dev Pramanik
- Old Haunts by Rob Williams, Ollie MAsters and Laurence Campbell
- Decorum by Jonathan Hickman and Mike Huddleston
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Smith

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 08 January, 2021, 07:55:04 AM
Do collections of old stuff count?

Yeah whatever you want to talk about really.

IndigoPrime

I already have a quite painful list of hardcovers. Of those, the most exciting are:

BPRD: Devil You Know — finally wrapping up the BPRD saga in hardback, after many months of never quite knowing whether Dark Horse would just abandon this run.

Usagi Yojimbo Saga 9 — the same, which will complete the DH Usagi run in its gorgeous HC volumes. I hope IDW does something similar eventually. So far, we've had a single trade and an absurdly expensive hardcover version of said trade.

Skyward — I read the first half of the first volume in digital, but this strip about what happens in a world where gravity fails really needs to be read in paper form. And by paper form, I mean chunky HC, of course. Same goes for Middlewest, which I really liked the first few issues of.

Beyond that, I'm looking at continuing to grab everything Black Hammer, the new Sandman Deluxe HCs, Sex Criminals 3 HC, Gideon Falls, Low Book Two, Hellboy & the BPRD HC, and the Image versions of Criminal 1 & 2.

My wallet is making sobbing noises.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 January, 2021, 09:55:19 AM

Skyward — I read the first half of the first volume in digital, but this strip about what happens in a world where gravity fails really needs to be read in paper form. And by paper form, I mean chunky HC, of course. Same goes for Middlewest, which I really liked the first few issues of.

Oh don't say that I've just picked up both of those but luckily they now linger on my way to long reading list (spreadsheet). I'm still suffering from buying Stray Bullets physically (twice in some cases!), Neat Stuff in lovely hardcover - got that cheap but its making me eye up the Hate collected editions and No Mercy... when does it end!

sintec

Think the only thing currently on my shopping list is vols 7-9 (or will it be 10) of Berserk in the Deluxe HC editions.

Don't think a dates been announced for it yet but Vol 3 of the Absolute Edition of Swamp Thing if/when that happens.

Link Prime

Had to think about this - not much unfortunately!

Currently:
Locke & Key / Sandman: Hell and Gone crossover - I've read practically everything Joe Hill has written, and have been a loyal reader of Locke & Key since the beginning. This looks great, but I think it's only two issues.
Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith. The reason? BWS.
Superman: The Man of Steel Volume 2 - I really enjoyed the first volume of this Byrne infused series. This is the good stuff. The really good stuff.
The Plot Holes by Sean Gordon Murphy. Shame there isn't a 3rd White Knight series by SGM on the horizon, but this crowdfunded collection will keep me going in the meantime.
Grendel: Devils Odyssey by Matt Wagner. I haven't heard conclusively if the remaining 4 issues will be printed in 2021, but here's hoping.
2000AD Ultimate Collections of Tyranny Rex and Indigo Prime - a coupla anticipated and unavoidable cherry picks.
TMNT: The Last Ronin - First issue was surprisingly great. Eastman & Laird 4eva.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 January, 2021, 10:54:27 AM

Is that still happening - I remember (ish) reading about it many moons ago and I thought its had fallen by the wayside?

Grendel: Devils Odyssey by Matt Wagner. I haven't heard conclusively if the remaining 4 issues will be printed in 2021, but here's hoping.

Man I hope this comes back. Matt Wagner doesn't seem to have much of a web presense - well that I can find - so hard to know what the issues are. Hope all is well with him.

2000AD Ultimate Collections of Tyranny Rex and Indigo Prime - a coupla anticipated and unavoidable cherry picks.

Complete set of Red Seas the one for me here.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2021, 11:06:35 AM

Is that still happening - I remember (ish) reading about it many moons ago and I thought its had fallen by the wayside?

It's on for 2021, April as far as I recall.
Pre-orders are available from the usual websites, including a signed hardback option from Forbidden Planet.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 January, 2021, 09:58:45 AMwhen does it end!
It doesn't. Although the amount of available space does. Still, HCs seem to keep their value pretty well—especially Image and Marvel stuff that goes OOP—and I prefer paper over screens. So I'm quite happy buying up the ones I like and then selling them on if they're not all that. (e.g. I recently offloaded an entire HC run of Ex Machina. No regrets!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 January, 2021, 11:24:44 AM
...and I prefer paper over screens. So I'm quite happy buying up the ones I like and then selling them on if they're not all that. (e.g. I recently offloaded an entire HC run of Ex Machina. No regrets!)

I tend to find aside from by regularly monthly floppie buys (and Cinebook albums) I'm getting stuff digitally first and then when I love something I'm buying up collections in as shiney a format as I can find / justify. Its quite an expensive and hence slow habit so I'm having to do things like avoiding seeing what Locke and Key shiny is out there for example!

IndigoPrime

With the exception of 2000 AD, that's now where I'm at. I don't buy floppies at all these days, but I do test the water with digital (usually via sales). If something is read-once, it stays in digital. If it's something I really like, I buy a collected version. I used to have a lot of trades, but I've been shifting as many of those to HC as I can. I've a few that I've not managed (Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo, Atomic Robo and Lucifer are the main ones, due a combination of format types and cost), but my favourites are mostly now in HC.

As for Locke & Key, I have the original six-volume HC set and a couple of additional skinny HCs. On that basis, I'm not looking for anything more. (Once I have a format of book I'm happy with, it's rare I'll switch to something else. I have all of Baltimore in individual HCs, for example, and so avoided the recent omni HC.)

Colin YNWA

Nightcrawler has always been my favourite of the X-Men, Si Spurrier one of my fav writers so the news of 'Way of X' a comic starring Nightcrawler by Si Spurrier (and Bob Quinn who I don't know) has me about excited about an X-book as I have been since like 1990!

info on Bleeding Cool

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 January, 2021, 09:55:19 AM
BPRD: Devil You Know — finally wrapping up the BPRD saga in hardback, after many months of never quite knowing whether Dark Horse would just abandon this run.

Oh man! I read the first TPB of the 'Devil You Know' arc back in 2018 - when I realised how short the final arc was going to be, I decided to save my money and just wait for the hardcover omnibus. In retrospect I just wish I'd ploughed on and found out how it all ended while I still remembered what was happening!
@jamesfeistdraws