Main Menu

snow/tiger - rascist anti american crap.

Started by King Chillout, 19 April, 2003, 01:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karne

Assuming that this isn't another bit of mischief inspired by my recent "Is this ship..." post, I'd have to say that's a very negative and ill-informed approach you are taking to this story. Do you give up on books and then rant about them if you don't like the first chapter? Do you stop watching a film or TV programme if the first ten minutes don't appeal to you? Like most of the other boarders here, I prefer to let a story progress past the first episode and acquire some facts before making such damning criticisms.

You do not actually say whether or not you are American, but as I was under the impression that the American readership is a few weeks behind us where progs are concerned I will just have to assume you have a dislike of any culture other than Western. That may see a bit harsh to you, but you do come across as extremely xenophobic and right wing in your post.

Your ranting manner does little to enamour people to you or your point of view and is littered with comments that seem to highlight your own intolerance of anyone with a different perspective to your own while at the same time you cry racism. Do you actually understand the broader meanings of racism and racial intolerance?

You make comments about the "nice friendly type of terrorist", but as any informed person will tell you one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. History is littered with atrocities in the name of "this" and the name of "that", have you not heard of the American War of Independence? Whose side would you have taken during that? Remember, just because one side can justify their reasons for war doesn't mean the opposition can't also do the same.

Regarding your comment "He even got a swaztika in just to show us how damn nasty these Yanky muslim killers really are !" you seem to have completely missed the point that this is an extreme right wing organisation that is based in America. It does not represent the American nation as a whole, and as far as I know is not indicative of the general feeling of the American population. However, as you seem to be representing the entire American nation here I'm sure you will correct me if that's not the case.

Finally, you say that you have been reading 2000ad since the seventies and that it is "NOT a magazine where crusty old hippies get to preach their anti-American mantra to an unsuspecting public." Well I'm not sure where you got the notion that it is run by crusty old anti-American hippies, but I think you are confusing a dislike of "Might is Right" politics with a hatred of the American people. Its two entirely different things and it may be worth bearing that in mind if you stick around for the forthcoming episodes.

Karne  

Proudhuff

If you take that another way, you could say the male lead in this story saved everybody!You can't say that the terorists were'nt going to kill everybody, I think perhaps you've decided what you think and then looked for proof.

I think if you were to read it you would find there are more layers to this story than the simple Pinko liberal pop filth your seeing, but there again judging by your terms and hatred of PC i think, your mind is made up.

DDT did a job on me

Slippery PD

Well I keep reading this post over and over, kinda in disgust.  

Once again we have Right Wing Good, Left Wing/Liberalism bad.  Do you actually realise how daft that actually is?

Oh and its not a comic for students?  No maybe not, but it does have a 20 odd year history of anti establishment.  It uses sci-fiction to address modern relevant issues.  Remember the apocolypse war?  Written in the early 80's, warning against nuclear war.  America?  Warnings about taking democracy lightly?  Need I go on?  No I think not.

You want to know somethng about me?  Fine.  Ask.  I dont have to justify my stance on this.  Snow/Tiger seems a fine story, with good pace and looks to have the right background for it to be controversial.  Let it roll on.......

Yer Slippo      

Devons Daddy

come on board this has all the hallmarks of HIM

we are up in arms.getting upset and disagreeing on mass. only one idiot has this ability.
he has been on a mass media course or something to sharpen his skills and his disguise but its him.

ignore the idiot. its HIM.
i will say it once his real name is SCOTT

re read the post and watch the profile fall into place.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Slippery PD

DD he claims its not him on Argue with Scojo and to be honest thi isnt his modus operandi!  The arguments are too clear cut, almost lucid and logical.  It aint him, IMHO

His post:
"BOARDERS, question. name that should not be spoken alert?
just dawned on me as i wrote this.feelings?"

It's not me, promise. I'm not king chillout.

Snow/Tiger is good. Just annoyed we haven't see any wild cats in
Siberia yet...

Yer Slippo

King Chillout

I think you are being a bit paranoid.
I'm not anyone else.
I'm a genuine pissed off western white man.

Will we see any Qu'ran burning in Snow/tiger ?

Will we actually see any Muslim terrorists kill anyone ?

Will we see any black men that are bad guys ?

I doubt it. The stereotypes have been placed very firmly already.

Further, I notice nobody dared argue against my panel by panel PC stereotype identification.

On further reading, and this is something I've been thinking for the last few years, Dredd is also undergoing the PC treatment.

Since when did Judges stop administering instant justice ?
In days gone by Dredd would have put a bullet through Orlok's head.
Now we are having a trial ?

I thought the whole idea behind the Judges was that there was no longer a need for courts and trials ?

longmanshort

S'funny. The only trial I've seen in the past decade of reading tooth has been the one we're seeing now - which is a show trial - I think what you're referring to is that Dredd doesn't shot everything frikking thing he sees (ala Electric Bar court etc). To be honest, that had shock value back in 1977 but 25 years on and it kinda gets boring.

As for your panel-by-panel 'PC blasting' ... I really wouldn't waste my time arguing with you on this one. You've obviously made your mind up, have ignored every single thing anyone has said in the way of constructive advice and are clearly using this board as a way to spout off and barrack everyone for being 'liberals'. I have to put up with people like you every day in my job as a reporter. Your arguements, as already have been mentioned ad nauseum, are broadly and fundamentally flawed. Therefore, there is no need to rebuff your disection of the strip. Fer chrissakes - it was the first bloody episode!

Everyone else here seems only too happy to discuss issues in a reasonable manner. You on the other hand ...

Apologies to anyone who thinks I'm rising to the bait, but we did try to explain ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

paulvonscott

"Will we see any Qu'ran burning in Snow/tiger ?"

Er, no, why should we, the muslim terrorists were the red herring.

"Will we actually see any Muslim terrorists kill anyone?"

I'm sure they would have killed someone if they had the chance.  They were a bit useless, but you'd expect that from patsies.

"Will we see any black men that are bad guys?"

As it's about white nazi's, then probably not.

"I doubt it. The stereotypes have been placed very firmly already."

Well, maybe.  We'll see.

"Further, I notice nobody dared argue against my panel by panel PC stereotype identification."

If we did, would it convince you chill :)

"Since when did Judges..."

Judge still do it, but this is a big case, and Mega City are just doing what the sovs did, trying to set up a show trial and vindicate themselves in front of the world.  It's all politics basically.

Smiley

At the risk of sounding flippant, that last full page panel really does look like it could have been drawn by Cliff Robinson.

The Big Man

"ignore the idiot. its HIM.
i will say it once his real name is SCOTT"
Hey ! I haven't even been on a mass media course ! How'd you know my real name, and why are you calling me an idiot ?!?  
"Is there a problem here ?"

pauljholden

This must be Andy - that's why he hasn't responded - and he has you fools dancing DANCING to his tune!

[lighting up a cigarette=proof that killing is like sex?, genius Andy, genius!]

-pj

King Chillout

Once again, and I think the fact that people are having a hard time believing that someone will stand up and openly say that they feel white American men are being racially stereotyped (Gasp !), I'm not anyone else.

I'm not the writer. I'm not someone stirring up trouble for the fun of it.
I actually was pissed off that once again the Western white male was being portrayed as the bad guy....whilst the muslim terrorist is shown as the poor misunderstood good guy !

If the last page had been a muslim cleric standing infront of a swasztika saying "Allah bless Pakistan !", it wouldn't have ever been passed by the editor.

But seeing as though it is politically incorrect to cast such a slur upon any minority.....the writer decided to pick on the usual candidates...anyone who's white and American !

DavidXBrunt

But the last time I checked all evil in the world is caused by White American Males.

Eve (ate the forbidden fruit, brought sin into the world) - she was a White American Male.

Pandora (opened the box that let the evil monsters out of captivity) - W.A.M.

Hitler (genocidal maniac) - W.A.M.

George Micheal (Club Tropicana, drinks are free! Fun and Sunshine, there's enough for everyone) - W.A.M.

Leigh S

1: At what point in the story are the terrorists shown as misunderstood or acting in a good 'way'?  Isnt one of the good guys in this story an american white male?  

2: Isnt this story just at part two - there's a lot more to go here, and since the last terrorist attacks on american soil were by American Nazis (McVey) and Muslim fundamentalist terrorists, arent both fair game in a story about an anti-terrorist squad?

3: Even if at the end of it, you are still not pleased with the stories politics, isnt dropping the comic akin to being offended by a film so never going to the cinema again?

Devons Daddy

if you are not him chillout then sorry for misjudgeing you.your not an idoit he is and tends to bring the board into a frenzy of bile.which was showing signs of rearing its ugly head earlier.

i still think you are way off base though. but you do seem to have calmed down and been more reasoned with your aruguments in your lastest posts.

as for no non white americans. that may be the artists fault at this point rather then andy diggles.if andy has written it with an angle of generalisation rather then actaul stereo types then he may have failed to enter in the request for a multi racail makeup of the uniformed group.

that could be the case though as i dont pretend to know how the script giudes the art and to what degree.but worth a consideration dont you think.

for reference.i did show the story to a few muslim colleages and got no reaction. where as the black sihda story in the meg prokoed much disscusion.

if i can ask a question are you seeing this as a practising muslim or as a person who dislikes to see such stereotypes.

and now you have calmed down a bit. welcome to the board.to really get into it jion in a few other threads.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!