Main Menu

snow/tiger - rascist anti american crap.

Started by King Chillout, 19 April, 2003, 01:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Chillout

First off, I'm 36. I've been reading 2000AD since the late seventies. I've never written a letter to the comic or this board before.

But after finally getting around to reading this weeks prog, I've got to say that for the first time ever.....I'm thinking of not buying the next issue, or any after that.

Snow/tiger was the most rascist piece of garbage I've read in a long time.
In ten pages Andy Diggle trotted out the stereotypical kill 'em all, right wing, white, "evil" Americans, who went on to brutally slay the cuddly, snuggly, misunderstood, muslim terrorsts....but shock of shocks !!!!! ...these muslim terrorists weren't actually going to kill anyone !
So that makes them the nice friendly type of terrorist, that we should all take into our collective PC friendly hearts !!!

He even got a swaztika in just to show us how damn nasty these Yanky muslim killers really are !

GIVE ME A BREAK !

I do not spend my money on a magazine so that some loony liberal anti-war tree hugging PC robot can preach to me !

Whoever is in charge....sort it out.
It's been bad enough suffering Pat Mills' left wing crap that has ruined Slaine for the last ten years.

We aren't all students who think the answer to all the worlds troubles is to sit on their fat arses and do bugger all except moan, paint a pretty banner or smash McDonalds windows.

2000AD is supposed to be a sci-fi/ fantasy comic.
NOT a magazine where crusty old hippies get to preach their anti-American mantra to an unsuspecting public....and get paid for it !

James

How about giving it a chance?

I see your point, but both characters seem at this stage to represent both ends of the spectrum.

Again, give it a chance. You might be right or you might be surprised.

James

Capt.Zeep

Well you're entitled to your opinion KC but I don't agree with you.
I think what Britain and the USA are doing, invading and sequestering the reserves of a Muslim country (deposing a fairly despicable twat in the process it must be said) largely on the grounds that the US was attacked by lunatic Islamic fundamentalists, basically takes to its illogical conclusion the assumption that all muslims are fundamentalists and all fundamentalists are terrorists.

What the strip seems to be doing is having a go at redressing that assumption, though it's early days yet - I'm prepared to give it a go.

I don't think that questioning the role of the USA in the whole theatre of world politics, economics, cultural imperialism and so on necessarily makes a person fit your definition of a tree hugging hippy - witness in fact the wide range of the populace opposed to the war.

Of course the story could turn out to be pants but I don't think it should be dismissed on the grounds you suggest.  

W. R. Logan

>First off, I'm 36. I've been reading 2000AD since the late seventies. I've never written a letter to the comic or this board before.

>SNIP, BLAH BLAH

Secondly Im also 36. I?m a war supporting ex-squaddie with a few medals for pointing guns at people. I?ve fired most weapons you can get your hands on and blown up things with the120mm L11A7 in four different countries and fired enough 7.62 ammunition to kill the population of a small country, so I guess I wouldn?t be considered a ? loony liberal? or ?anti-war? or even ?tree hugging"

I enjoyed the first episode, let me reiterate, the first episode of Snow/Tiger and look forward to seeing some more.
You don?t like one story and that?s it your off, bye.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Wils

Not exactly the *best* tone for a first post to the message board, there. I'm confused, though. You've used the terms 'right wing', 'left wing' *and* 'liberal' all in a derogatory context, so what does that leave? What kind of ideals do you actually agree with (if any)? And also, I'm sure that screaming 'racism!' then slagging off left wing thinking is a self-contradiction. ;)

Give Snow/Tiger a chance, as it's only just started. You (and 99% of the rest of us) have *no idea* where Andy's taking this, so jumping for his juggular just because he's written *some* Americans as Nazis and *one* Muslim as not being a mustaschioed sociopath is a bit premature.

Prove to the rest of us that you're Chillout by nature as well as by name, introduce yourself properly, talk bollocks and we may hold back from unleashing the pink-arsed, spork-wielding monkeys at you and welcome you to the message board.

karne

Richmond Clements

I just got my prog today, just read it and ran for the machine to rave about all three stories (yes, even the Pat Mills one), only to find this thread.
I'm sorry, but how the fuck is this story racist?
I know there are Muslims in it, and Americans ans Nazis, I can see all that, but I can't see any of this racist stuff in it. Sorry.

And rest assured, those monkeys will be wearing hats, maybe even fezs.

And welcome to the board.

chopper666

To be honest in the 26 years that 2000AD has been around I don't think that I have ever seen an image as powerful as the last panel of this first instalment. The images throughout are powerful but this really does stand out. We cant really judge the entire storyline from just a single instalement and will have to see the outcome but I feel that its a great start to what is going to be a stiring of emotions and if a story doesn't invoke an emotion, positive or negative, then it isnt working.

-Marc

Link: http://www.dreddtimes.com" target="_blank">Dredd Times

http://www.dreddtimes.com/timesbanner.gif">

Richmond Clements

And if you think this is racist, you must have loved Big Dave.

Tommo

Insane Muslim terrorists, insane American terrorists, what the hell's the difference? Just because Andy's put in a Nazi American doesn't mean he thinks all Americans are Nazis. Looking at Snow's opening dialogue about the Quran, I don't think he's likely to be going to shoehorn an entire country into one stereotype.
Anyway, shouldn't we also have "Darkie's Mob - racist anti-Japanese crap", "Asylum - racist anti-Christian crap" or "Rogue Trooper - racist anti-German crap" posts as well?

opaque

Nevermind anything that was in Preacher.

petemaskreplica

Dude, you need to, er, chill out. You don't know where Andy's taking this, don't dismiss it on one episode.

Now calm down, put your feet up, have a cuppa, talk some nonsense. And have a look at this:

http://tfp.killbots.com/pics/002s.gif">

There, doesn't that make everything better? :)

DavidXBrunt

You know, that does make things better.

jock

paulvonscott

If it helps chillout, I think the two main characters embody different views and the author isn't saying wither of them are right, but they are two viewpoints we've seen a lot of recently and we as readers can pretty much come to our own conclusions on how we view the world.  I assume that the two characters will start to appreciate each others views a bit more as they go on and see the other side of the arguments.

The nazi's are a completely seperate lot, not related to the main characters.  Extreme nationalist parties exist in most countries so I wouldn't take it as a slight on Americans.

Basically, I think it's a bit too early to read too much into what you've seen and probably worth giving it another go, honest.

Not that it was my cup of tea, but there you go ;)