Main Menu

Dredd's real-time ageing?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 April, 2021, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 April, 2021, 06:26:38 PM
Aren't all the mega cities destroyed by the time of Strontium Dog?

We don't see much of Earth in Strontium Dog - mutant bounty hunters being banned from the planet and all (unless they have special dispensation to go to Antarctic City).  We saw quite a bit of the British Isles, notable for its absence of Brit-Cit but don't have any idea how things developed across the (Black) Atlantic.

QuoteMaybe Justice Dept, and chosen citizens, go underground to survive and Dredd becomes Chief Judge of the Undercity complex (which I imagine as many old cities which were domed off in preparation for some grand reconstruction project that never happened).

The Undercity is simply the old cities concreted (or plascreted) over - similar to what happened to Atlanta.

QuoteFor me, Judge Dredd is subtitled The Decline and Fall of Mega City One. Prog 2 saw MC1 at it's most glorious and impressive, from that point the only way was down. Under increasing speed and momentum. Dredd's pulling on the brakes with all his might - but the ultimate crash is inevitable. So why not crash straight through the floor into the Undercity and begin again as the ultimate isolationists? UnderMeg 1.

Heh. Weird notions like this is why I'll always be an amateur. Well, that, a lack of talent and an evasion to brewing many proofreading.

Something has just occurred to me - famously the first population given for Mega-City One was 100,000,000 though next time it was mentioned it had risen to 800,000,000 (on the return from Luna One I believe).  But what if the mistake on the back of Prog 3 wasn't a one instead of an eight, but 100 instead of 1,000 - giving the initial population of the Mega-City at a cool billion?  One Robot War later and it's been reduced to the more familiar 800,000,000.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Corinthian

Poisoned by P.J. Maybe (disguised as a nun*), Dredd on his deathbed fires his lawgiver out of the window to find the spot where he should be buried but keeps hitting perps instead.

* He's got form.

The Legendary Shark

Taken up to Avalon Med Station after Rico, on the third time of asking, throws Dredd's daystick into a rad-pool.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

AlexF

I maintain that, for as long as Clint Eastwood is still alive and working (and without the benefit of 22nd century nonsense de-aging tech), it's plausible for Dredd to carry on daysticking crims.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Corinthian on 13 April, 2021, 10:15:15 PM
Poisoned by P.J. Maybe (disguised as a nun*), Dredd on his deathbed fires his lawgiver out of the window to find the spot where he should be buried but keeps hitting perps instead.

Get that man an unconvincing pseudonym and a regular slot on Dredd.

Bad Andy

If the Judge production line has been kiboshed since the Day of Chaos, is it possible that a secret cabal of judges has actually been lacing stookie fumes into the sleep machines since then to arrest the attrition of numbers of judges retiring due to old age without the knowledge of everyone else.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bad Andy on 26 April, 2021, 11:31:11 AM
...is it possible that a secret cabal of judges has actually been lacing stookie fumes into the sleep machines ...

Laws of probability alone say one of the several dozen Invisible Ninja Crawlspace Divisions have been doing just that.

The Legendary Shark

It's some rogue Psi Division group leeching arcane energy from Sabbat's sarcophagus and infusing it into Catering Division's synthi caff beans.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

The opening scene could be him sitting at his laptop when he should be out enjoying the sun typing something like, 'Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

The opening scene could be him sitting at his laptop when he should be out enjoying the sun typing something like
'Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

The opening scene could be him sitting at his laptop when he should be out enjoying the sun typing something like, 'Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

The opening scene could be him sitting at his laptop when he should be out enjoying the sun typing something like
'Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

'

Sorry, I'll stop now.  This was inspired by a friend's son who swore blind that a Playstation game he had was set in his home town of Leicester, in which the character he played once entered the real kid's house and saw him sitting with his Playstation playing the same game.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bad Andy

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2021, 01:02:14 PM
Quote from: Bad Andy on 26 April, 2021, 11:31:11 AM
...is it possible that a secret cabal of judges has actually been lacing stookie fumes into the sleep machines ...

Laws of probability alone say one of the several dozen Invisible Ninja Crawlspace Divisions have been doing just that.

Do they have their own badge design?

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 April, 2021, 01:41:33 PM
Maybe they could do a few earlier-in-the-timeline stories, as has been suggested before.  Also, there's plenty of room outside of MC1 for stories to be told.  I'm thinking maybe it could be set just on the Kildare border of Dublin, in, say, 2021.  It could focus on, I don't know, a man who lives in a boat, say, reading comics about Dredd before he's born , and disguising his alcoholism with some nonsense about being some kind of craft beer gourmet.

'

Now we know how Wendy in The Shining felt after looking through Jack's "Novel".   :)

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry, in hindsight that looks a bit more trollish than I'd meant it to be  :-[
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

kev67

I had only recently started reading 2000AD my first time around when they killed off Johnny Alpha. It was a good story, but I was really disappointed. His replacement just didn't cut it. 2000AD would be absolutely crazy to kill off, retire or replace Judge Dredd. When I used to read 2000AD through the 90s, I usually reckoned the Judge Dredd strip was the second best in the comic, because there were a lot of other great strips. Now I reckon the Judge Dredd strip is nearly always the best. Some strips eventually felt like they had reached their end, like Nemesis the Warlock and Rogue Trooper, but Dredd keeps on delivering.

I remember reading at the end of Necropolis the chief judge ordering Dredd to have a rejuve job because his face had been burnt off. I was never sure whether a rejuve job was only for cosmetic purposes or whether it actually made people younger.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: kev67 on 26 April, 2021, 10:01:10 PM

I remember reading at the end of Necropolis the chief judge ordering Dredd to have a rejuve job because his face had been burnt off. I was never sure whether a rejuve job was only for cosmetic purposes or whether it actually made people younger.

Pretty sure it's the former - you get new skin and look younger, but all your insides remain the same.  It was kind of explained in Carousel in the Megazine - though if I remember rightly, there is the option of replacing internal organs too but so far Dredd has refused it.  Didn't see him complaining when they gave him paper lungs and bionic eyes, mind you.