Main Menu

Outlaw v Journey into Hell - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Epic: Game 02

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 July, 2021, 06:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Rogue Judge

Outlaw for me too. I tend to prefer the western and war elements of SD over anything supernatural.

The first time I read JIH (in the SD Files) I didn't love it as much as what came before,  and then certainly not as much as what was to follow. Upon rereading it recently,  I did enjoy it a lot more as there were great character moments for everyone, beautiful artwork, the Gronk skeleton and intensity of the river of fire etc.

However, Outlaw blew my socks off when reading it the first time and it still does!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

oshii

Leigh S

Journey Into Hell is iconic - coming to 2000AD a couple of years ater, seeing thatkid who had the 4 horsemen pinted on his bedroom wall in the Sci-Fi Special.  When I finally got to read itm it didnt disappoint!  Stront never looked better than Journey Into Hell

But Outlaw is a culmination of the peak period of Stront that runs from Shicklegruber to erm... Outlaw!

So Outlaw for me

DrJomster

Outlaw please, Bob.

JiH is interesting to read as an early strip. It shows a very different early direction. But for me at least, it's a different genre really to what SD became.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

Just the one day here so get them votes in and I'll count up tomorrow morning and we'll start to put the table for this group together.

I'm going to say this, and I'll say it without fear... well a bit of fear... I don't like Outlaw. I find it messy and a bit directionless storming chaotically all over the place. Sure The Stix are cool... Now its not as if Journey into Hell doesn't have similar problems but the chaos feels more in place and good God damn those double page spreads are astonishing and so on that basis:

Journey into Hell

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

To be honest I thought this would be the first vote woth some real fight in it but that me just projecting my views on these two and in the end there wasn't much competition.

Outlaw 15 : Journey into Hell 5

Rage                       3   17
Outlaw                    3    10
Journey into Hell  0  -10
Judgement Day    0   -17

Dog Deever

I would have voted Outlaw over Journey- both are brilliant, Outlaw is brillianter.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Magnetica

Rogue Judge

Outlaw by a margin for me too. I like the fun that is JiH but compared to the epic that is Outlaw it's no match. It has all of the great supporting characters (Wulf, Middendface, the War generals etc.), the Stix Brothers, and this time Johnny was the bounty.

Now I need to re-read it again...these polls tend to do that to me, make me want to go back and re-read each of these (although I re-read most of SD over the Christmas).