Started by Colin YNWA, 22 July, 2021, 06:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

A Sorry Case v Smiley's World - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Short: Game 01

Next in the Qualifying groups a tie from the Short Stories Region, Groups 1

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

A Sorry Case - more info

Vs

Smiley's World - more info (though not very much!)

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 25th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Buttonman

Is'Smiley's World' that short preamble before 'Rage'? If so should it not be tacked on to its bigger brother?

Anyway it's A Sorry Case for me. Sorry.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Buttonman on 22 July, 2021, 08:53:39 AM
Is'Smiley's World' that short preamble before 'Rage'? If so should it not be tacked on to its bigger brother?

It is - but listed as a story in its own right everywhere so gets to stand on its own two feet - and seem to be doing fine.

Dark Jimbo

Smiley's World does an excellent job (and in only two episodes) of setting up the whole of Rage, and the funeral of Wulf Sternhammer is a gut-punch - but it's too much of an epilogue to The Ragnorok Job to stand as much of its own thing.

I'm going for A Sorry Case, a fun little four-and-done story of a type which I could have stood to see a lot more of (even if it's a bit weird not to have Carlos on art).
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Sorry Bobs is too irritating a character for my tastes - comedy of 'everything going wrong all the time' just not my thing.

Smiley's World, on the other hand, has that panel of Johnny with a bandage round his head shedding a magnificent tear for Wulf.

Smiley's World all the way!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

My prog slog hasn't reached the stage yet - I completely can't remember there being a story called Smiley's World.  From context I'm guessing it had the mother of that family that Johnny and Wulf saved paying a visit and finding the pair staked out, Johnny recovering and deciding to get revenge?  In which case I'll go for Smiley's World.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 23 July, 2021, 01:23:47 PM
My prog slog hasn't reached the stage yet - I completely can't remember there being a story called Smiley's World.  From context I'm guessing it had the mother of that family that Johnny and Wulf saved paying a visit and finding the pair staked out, Johnny recovering and deciding to get revenge?  In which case I'll go for Smiley's World.

I think this raises an interesting point. Short of reading all the stories again if I can't remember on I going with the basic assumption its a bit dull and probably therefore not all that good. That might not be true but I remember so many of them so clearly I think that's fair. On that basis if I don't remember something I'm likely to vote against it EVEN if I remember the other strip and don't like it!

Better to be memorable and rubbish than be dull and forgettable is my mantra for these votes.

Colin YNWA

Its quite quiet on this on but you still have a day to go if you haven't voted yet. I'll close this one off in the morning.

My vote. Well I remember loving the fact there was a different artist on Strontium Dog when I first read this, but being a little annoyed that Colin MacNeil, understandably tried ape Carlos. Looking back as Alex F said Bob is just a little too irriating to get the sympathy his story needs so for me its:

Smiley's World

Rogue Judge

A sorry Case is fun and humorous, and as stated previously, I really like MacNeil's take on Strontium Dog.  However, Smiley's World is my preference here, the better story IMO.