Main Menu

Bill Willingham - Why Are (Some) Comics Pros So Damn Abrasive?

Started by milstar, 14 September, 2021, 06:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

https://billwillingham.substack.com/p/why-are-some-comics-pros-so-damn

Without going too much into this (Bill in some cases is totally spot on, like for Dan Slott), but I think there's more to it, but can't put my finger on what exactly.
I doubt these men (and women) hate their jobs so much they have to be rude and obnoxious. But when Bill quotes something that happened 40 years ago, I see no relation with contemporary times (times changed since 1960s and 1970s).

What do you think?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Why are some people so damned abrasive?

- They're having a bad day.
- They're responding to an idiot.
- They're in a position of power so social norms have become skewed.
- They're taking you for granted.
- They're damned abrasive.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 September, 2021, 06:42:17 PM
Why are some people so damned abrasive?

- They're having a bad day.
- They're responding to an idiot.
- They're in a position of power so social norms have become skewed.
- They're taking you for granted.
- They're damned abrasive.

I think this is the key.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Bill Willingham himself has something of a reputation. So I'm not entirely sure I'd read that substack without noting that going in.

M.I.K.

Quote from: milstar on 14 September, 2021, 06:33:10 PM
But when Bill quotes something that happened 40 years ago, I see no relation with contemporary times (times changed since 1960s and 1970s).

What do you think?

I think 40 years ago was the 1980s.

milstar

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 September, 2021, 11:04:24 PM
Quote from: milstar on 14 September, 2021, 10:55:10 PM
I think this is the key.

Please expand.

Ah...I won't. I mentioned one name there already and I do not want to turn this thread into a myriad compilation of all well known comic pros who behaved like brats.

Funt Solo

Wait:

1. Bill Willingham is an abrasive twat: Bookstore Boycotts Fables Following Bill Willingham's Performance At Gen Con

2. The title of the piece should really use "damnably abrasive". Or "damned", at a push. Tsk. Calls himself a writer.

3. It should be "intention", not "intension". Tsk. Calls himself a writer.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

This bit confused me:
QuoteIn one of those odd Marvel behind-the-scenes specials on the Disney Channel, we saw long time comics scribe Dan Slott absolutely humiliated on camera by his editor, whose name I believe is Anonymous Nobody (I'm not willing to rewatch the thing in order to get the fellow's name).

I watched that programme and all I saw was some (slightly inept) attempts at humour. It wasn't particularly funny, but it seemed reasonably good natured. I'm not sure why Bill Willingham is getting offended on Dan Slott's behalf here.

I have no idea whether Dan Slott treat fans badly, as Willingham claims, but he seems to pick up a disproportionate amount of abuse from eejits. Nothing compared to what women who have the audacity to work in comics get, however....

The Legendary Shark

It's not just a few comics pros who are abrasive, some of us amateurs are prickly feckers as well.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 October, 2021, 04:37:29 PM

It's not just a few comics pros who are abrasive, some of us amateurs are prickly feckers as well.

Remind me if I happen to become a successful creator, to never use social networks.