Main Menu

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Who are they?

Started by Dounreay, 04 August, 2003, 04:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieB

JamieB

He's unrecognisable from the comic, in both respects.

J-Bo-1

JamieB

"Unlike, say, making Mina a vampire or giving Nemo a sports car."

Yes.

J-Bo-1

La Mer

yet another comic adaptation thats going tobe ripped apart.....
I personally cant wait to see this film - just to see what they do do to the stopry - cant be any worse than spiderman or the hulk....
or can it?

Richmond Clements

Well... I liked both spiderman and hulk, so, the answer to your question is yes.

Slippery PD

I know everyones is gonna slate me here, but did we expect anything less?  Look at any novel thats been made into a film.  Its been dumbed down and diluted, the same thing is bound to happen woth comic books.  Personally, Im just happy they are giving it a go.  If its cr@p its cr@p.  We'll still read the comic book........

Yer Slips

specialbrew

Well, at least it seems that (for once) the creators have been given their financial dues and what have you.  Unlike a certain movie we could name...

sb

Quirkafleeg

Is Dorian like Faceman then and uses his good looks and charm to bluff his way past foxy receptionists in corperate buildings...?

Nice Tom

I think the deal with Dorian Gray in the film is that he's basically immortal because the picture gets wounded instead of him. Personally, I preferred the treatment he got in the comic. In one issue, there was a Dorian Gray Paint-By-Numbers and in another the picture was being restored...
Maybe that's the Dorian Gray cameo. If that's the case, then that definitely doesn't justify his appearance in the movie.

JamieB

"Look at any novel thats been made into a film. Its been dumbed down and diluted"

I don't know - cutting out half of AMERICAN PSYCHO made the movie a lot better, and more effective, than the book (IMHO, natch).

The "losing something in translation" rule doesn't *always* apply, and LOEG - given that it exploits the comics medium to a much lesser extent than, say, WATCHMEN - should hav e been easier to film than it evidently was.

Because - let me say it again, o my brothaz and sistaz - LXG is a load of sh*te.

J-Bo-1

Tiplodocus

"Is Dorian like Faceman then? "

that's be a great idea for a comic.  If only there was somebody doiing a version of the A-Team in comics today, it'd be great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Smiley

It's a good idea. Might have to update it though, make it more contemporary and trend setting.

Art

God, I can picture it now, they'd probably have all kinds of attempts to make it "revelevant" for mentioning "contempary issues" and then dump them entirely so they can do a story about speedboats or something. And they'd pad it out with hideous sub-Ennis "bonding" between characters.

JamieB

" If only there was somebody doiing a version of the A-Team in comics today, it'd be great."

Strongly recommend you check out Diggle and Jock's THE LOSERS, then...

J-Bo-1

Bolt-01

I read volume 1 today, and enjoyed it immensley. I'd been hearing about this for SO long without finding a copy that it was typical yesterday when I found both LXG 1 and TOP TEN 2!

AARRGGH!

Hope the Top Ten book is still there next month.

Kev O'Neill is on superb form in this. The style suits perfectly. A new thing (to my eyes) was the Mignolaesque touches in the first meeting with Edward. He can still cram almost as much into a panel as it is possible.

Must find vol 2

Rotts