Main Menu

Strontium Dog Without Wagner or Ezquerra

Started by Frank, 15 May, 2019, 07:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I have been re-reading some Strontium Dog recently and it strikes me that Ezquerra's genius was as much in the design of the secondary characters, both other Strontium Dogs and other characters encountered on various worlds. As good a jobs as other artists mentioned would do, it just won't have the same feel.

I would not like to see someone else try to copy Carlos. I think they would need to put there own mark on it. A bit like Bryan Talbot did following Kevin O'Neill on Nemesis.

As to who would write it - there seems to be very little mention of Alan Grant. For me he would be the obvious choice of Wagner doesn't want to do it. Sorry if there are other reasons why he couldn't do it.

maryanddavid

Personally I think  this is great news, if JW has given his blessing. It would be a shame IMO to leave Carlos' greatest creation to reprint volumes.
If it is to happen, I'd like to see a 'Legends of The Dark Knight' style ie standalone stories, not messing with continuity. No idea who could fill Wagner shoes, but Chris Weston would get my vote on art.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 May, 2019, 01:02:44 PM
.. there seems to be very little mention of Alan Grant. For me he would be the obvious choice of Wagner doesn't want to do it. Sorry if there are other reasons why he couldn't do it.

It seems like Alan Grant has other things going on in his life.

Completely agree that it's the totality of his craft that created the symbiotic relationship between Ezquerra and Strontium Dog. It's not a matter of specific designs; the distinctive way action scenes are staged and framed are essential to the way I enjoy those stories.

We all agree this is a difficult task, which is, presumably, why Tharg said he didn't think it'd happen. *

* ... but that it was up to John Wagner

broodblik

What happened to Grant ? He for me wrote the best SD stories when he did the strip solo (except the Final Solution). On art I can see that either Weston or MacNeil will work.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

Quote from: broodblik on 15 May, 2019, 02:07:37 PM
What happened to Grant ? He for me wrote the best SD stories when he did the strip solo (except the Final Solution).

Alan Grant took over as regular script droid on Strontium Dog with 'Death's Head' in 2000AD Prog 178. Why did you give up writing Strontium Dog?

We were still writing them together, though they appeared under Alan's name. In the same way the Dredds appeared under my name but we actually co-wrote almost all of them during that time. As you say, whoever did the typing got the cash. We had a 'red book' in which we balanced it all up. It makes an interesting read, a real trip down memory lane.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~okku/scifi/jwagner.htm

AlexF

Strong second for Phil Winslade as a fella would could definitely bring something new and yet respectful to the Johnny Alpha table. Assuming Alan Grant isn't interested in tackling the writing duties (and if he is, I hope he decides to resurrect Feral just for the sake of a cheeky dig at Wagner :D), are there perhaps any new voices from the pages of Dogbreath who might just be ready for the big stage..?

I note no one seems to be sad about the new Durham Red strips continuing, with good work from Worley, Willsher and Carter. Is that not, in a way, a continuation of Strontium Dog?

Frank

Quote from: AlexF on 15 May, 2019, 02:30:53 PM
... no one seems to be sad about the new Durham Red strips continuing, with good work from Worley, Willsher and Carter. Is that not, in a way, a continuation of Strontium Dog?

You, of all readers, don't need reminded that Red's already had a quarter century of Horsting. Others feel differently, but I don't see the many different ginger vampire strips as the further adventures of Johnny Alpha's girlfriend. *

Wagner seems to be suggesting a direct continuation of the Johnny Alpha saga, rather than a reboot or Strontium Dogs (the comics equivalent of Jeremy Renner's Bourne sequel).

* In the same way nobody gets bent about the MCU's Captain America being buried in ice while Marvel Cap was punching hippies.  They're just different things, so there's no point trying to make them slot together.

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 15 May, 2019, 02:16:22 PM
What happened to Grant ? He for me wrote the best SD stories when he did the strip solo (except the Final Solution).

Alan Grant took over as regular script droid on Strontium Dog with 'Death's Head' in 2000AD Prog 178. Why did you give up writing Strontium Dog?

We were still writing them together, though they appeared under Alan's name. In the same way the Dredds appeared under my name but we actually co-wrote almost all of them during that time. As you say, whoever did the typing got the cash. We had a 'red book' in which we balanced it all up. It makes an interesting read, a real trip down memory lane.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~okku/scifi/jwagner.htm

Thank you Frank. As always, you are a fountain of knowledge  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 15 May, 2019, 03:37:20 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 May, 2019, 02:16:22 PM

We were still writing them together, though they appeared under Alan's name.

Thank you Frank. As always, you are a fountain of knowledge  :thumbsup:

Yep, the only stories Grant wrote solo were The Stone Killers, Incident On Zeta, The No-Go Job and Final Solution (plus a load of the annual stories).

I have to say I don't often see those appearing on too many 'favourite story' lists!
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

Yes, and also look at his Samantha Slade: Robo-hunter stories. No thanks.

Chris Weston had recently shown us how another artist can take over Strontium Dog and make it work. But with all due respect to Matt Smith who wrote a good one-off, I'm not sure how I'd feel about a ten episode series of Strontium Dog written by someone who isn't John Wagner.

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 May, 2019, 04:07:06 PM
... the only stories Grant wrote solo were The Stone Killers, Incident On Zeta, The No-Go Job and Final Solution (plus a load of the annual stories).

Sorry, mate; I'm a dick. Zeta seems similar to Armageddon in the Megazine; Alan Grant adding dialogue to scenarios and characters devised by Ezquerra. And yeah, Richard; other creators could fashion decent stories. *

All nerves would be calmed if Williams & Weston took over the strip. Replace them with Abnett & Flint and we'd be hailing it as fitting tribute to a legend. The problem comes when Stront becomes a slot Tharg needs to fill with whoever's available.

Any strip that goes on long enough becomes Hawkman.

* As someone always says in these discussions, this kind of thing happens all the time in other comics. And someone always replies that they don't want 2000ad to be just like every other comic. It's the same dynamic as the Dredd ageing in real time debate, basically

ZenArcade

Dark Jimbo: 'Yep, the only stories Grant wrote solo were The Stone Killers, Incident On Zeta, The No-Go Job and Final Solution (plus a load of the annual stories).

I have to say I don't often see those appearing on too many 'favorite story' lists!'

I personally find the No Go Job one of my all time favorite 2000AD stories.  The story is engaging and sets up the 'Final Solution' excellently.  The art by Harrison is to die for and who could not be touched by the sad passing of that lovable wee rogue: Dougal the Dug. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 May, 2019, 01:02:44 PM
As to who would write it - there seems to be very little mention of Alan Grant. For me he would be the obvious choice of Wagner doesn't want to do it. Sorry if there are other reasons why he couldn't do it.

I can't find a mention of it anywhere now, but I've got the impression (from somewhere) that Alan's all but retired these days?
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

He did some Anderson one-offs in progs 2000 and 2100 and Megazine 400, but other recent Anderson stories, including multi-episode ones, have been by other people, so I think you're right.

Leigh S

OK, then - I'll do it... :crazy:

I think Stront could go on without Carlos, but without John and Carlos?  Tough

As others have said though, if it was the herald of a new way of working these kind of things, with some level of financial recognition to the original creators, then who am I to stand in the way? 

Certainly from an artist point of view, MacNeil and Weston have both shown they could take it somewhere respectful but different.  I think replacing Wagner at the same time would be a huge ask, though if care was taken to find a sympathetic writer to go with a sympathetic artist

Going for "past tales" rather than continuing on from with Kenton and Johnny might be better as a start though we all recall the minor griping about that when it was the dream team doing it!