Main Menu

BBC Series on the History of British comics

Started by Manfromthebbc, 13 September, 2006, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Leave out any creator mainly famous for their work in America - and I include Alan Moore in that statement.

And Alan Grant and John Wagner?

Dudley

What, I have to be consistent now?  

I had a justification in my head about some people being more famous even in the UK for their American rather than their British work, but that fell apart when I typed it out.

Forget I spoke.

Or typed.

Leigh S

I'm not advocating a dumbing down, more a pruning down and concentration on strips that illustrate a point about how and why comics evolved over time, and the interests that they tried to grab.  

The Miracleman stuff is pretty relevant as an example of the 80s reinventions  - "everythig you knew was a lie!" :)

How much you'd want to get indepth with it I'm not sure - you have the V for Vendetta link with Warrior of course, but I think any examples should illustrate a point about the direction the industry has moved in, rather than just for it's own sake.

Theres an interesting story behind the stories that I think could speak to people whatever their comics reading past

Manfromthebbc

Part of the reason I ask is that including everything in a particular era would make it an incredibly superficial list show with no depth. Hoping to avoid that
A

House of Usher

Would it be useful for the ManfromtheBBC to see a link to that website that shows the family trees and mergers of all the many British comics there used to be?
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Depending on which titles you look up, you can find some quite mind-boggling diagrams.

Link: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/FamilyTree/FamilyTreeMain.asp" target="_blank">Comics Family Trees

STRIKE !!!

Manfromthebbc

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, I was about to say that leaving out Ennis, Ellis, Gaiman, Morrison, Milligan, and the others would be justifiable. All major creators but mainly for their American work. Moore deserves something of a mention as an example of the type who made it big after initial work here and as an example of the comics fostering new talent.

Artificial Idiot

And if you want to interview me I have a lovely smile.

He really does, in fact, I'd say it's so nice that it should be an essential feature of the program.

Jim_Campbell

"He really does"

Hey! I have a great hat ... and I'm nicer than Terry Pratchett.

And I have more hair.

Does that get me a place?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Manfromthebbc

LARF

Yeh, and we all went here... :-)

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/forums/" target="_blank">2000adreview

Manfromthebbc

It's like finding the door into the secret garden...but less tweee....and victorian

O Lucky Stevie!

please don't forget to mention that comics began in britain before their first appearance in the states (as pointed out by david roach in his introduction for true brit)

i've wet my knickers!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Manfromthebbc