Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Kingdom vs. Rogue Trooper Rd 5 Heat 13

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 August, 2022, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

broodblik

For Gibbons/Kennedy/Ortiz trio and add a slice of Ewins/Wilson so Rogue it is. Kingdom's weak "lazy" ending just messed the whole series. So Dan bring it back and give us a proper ending, it is an awesome series
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Mr Campbell, are you perchance getting ambiguous mixed up with amphibious? Or am I missing a joke somewhere..?

Blue Cactus

I like Rogue, despite some silliness (Colonel Kovert...). It tends to look great and I still think the bio-chips are a wonderful creation. (as an aside I have a friend who read 2000ad as a kid and his memory was 'you were never sure if they were just voices in his head' which added an existential dimension to things that I'd never thought of. I mean, it's pretty explicit they're not just voices in his head but still, that's how he remembered it.). Also I still think the fact that Rogue is blue is really cool.

However. I'm voting Kingdom. Hope him and Leezee make a return before too long, and maybe build to a more satisfying conclusion.

BPP

No-one can accuse Rogue of any zane when the other strip is giant steroid puppies doing mad max 3/4.

Rogue every time.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 11 August, 2022, 07:13:20 AM
Kingdom's weak "lazy" ending just messed the whole series. So Dan bring it back and give us a proper ending, it is an awesome series

I had the impression that it wasn't definitely the end, but the Elson droid is much in demand on both sides of the Atlantic, so Dan wanted to leave it somewhere where it could be the end...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 11 August, 2022, 10:57:06 AM
Or am I missing a joke somewhere..?

A very poor attempt at humour on my part. I'm blaming the gin.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dash Decent

Quote from: AlexF on 11 August, 2022, 10:57:06 AM
Mr Campbell, are you perchance getting ambiguous mixed up with amphibious?

We'll have him toad away immediately.  Now - hoppit!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 11 August, 2022, 11:35:05 AM
I like Rogue, despite some silliness (Colonel Kovert...). It tends to look great and I still think the bio-chips are a wonderful creation. (as an aside I have a friend who read 2000ad as a kid and his memory was 'you were never sure if they were just voices in his head' which added an existential dimension to things that I'd never thought of. I mean, it's pretty explicit they're not just voices in his head but still, that's how he remembered it.). Also I still think the fact that Rogue is blue is really cool.

The biochips are a hugely inventive idea, and a great way to have a solo wanderer character still have a team he could talk to.  The idea that he is the only one that can breathe in the chemical soup atmosphere, making him light and unencumbered where everyone else is wrapped up (and vulnerable) in bulky suits is likewise a brilliant bit of world designing and gives Rogue a justifiable edge over his opponents.  I love the design of him too.  The leg panniers look great and so too him being blue with a white mohawk is just fantastic.  In the computer game they made all the GIs look different, so we could tell the characters apart, but I love seeing them in the strip - absolutely identical.

Regarding the voices in his head, have you seen "Garfield minus Garfield"?  The premise is that Garfield is just a cat, so he can't really have sassy thoughts.  The strip erases any dialogue by the pets, revealing that Garfield's human owner Jon is just a sad and lonely man.  Here are a few examples.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Are we going to lose one of the tentpole characters of 2000ad? A character that appears in cover montage after cover montage? Maybe there's a lot of great chat here and so a scan of votes is no real count but it looks like, pending last day votes Rogue Trooper might about to fall? I'll tell you for sure tomorrow morning.

BPP

Gene is about to do what the Norts never could.

Y'all just aren't cat people.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Enigmatic Dr X

Kingdom.

Both are fabulous examples of the Prog at its best. It's a tough call.  But only one has names its characters with puns. Plus, I use "your mouth is full of wrong" in real life.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 August, 2022, 12:39:06 PM
But only one has names its characters with puns. Plus, I use "your mouth is full of wrong" in real life.
Venus Bluegenes?
We never really die.

Magnetica

Quote from: I, Cosh on 12 August, 2022, 01:23:31 PM
But only one has names its characters with puns. Plus, I use "your mouth is full of wrong" in real life.
Venus Bluegenes?

Helm?
Bagman?
Gunnar?

Not to mention Rogue himself.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 August, 2022, 02:06:15 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 12 August, 2022, 01:23:31 PM
Venus Bluegenes?

Helm?
Bagman?
Gunnar?

Not to mention Rogue himself.

This is one of those times you could use "your mouth is full of wrong" in real life
You may quote me on that.