Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Personally, something doesn't quite sit right with the idea of gender-specific carriages on trains and I'm not sure I can articulate why, but I imagine if I was a young woman heading home at night I might like the option - or if I was a dad of a young woman who had to commute through a yobby area or two.
That boring Labour man met some women concerned about the rise in assaults on women on public transport and they asked if women-only carriages were feasible and he agreed to consult with the public about the matter.
Naturally, Guardian readers are now going apeshit saying that giving women the option of a woman-only carriage is exactly the same thing as Apartheid, and that women should not be allowed the option of a woman-only carriage on trains under any circumstances.  I must admit, the nuance of this particular smear campaign has been lost on me, as the boring one only agreed to a discussion with women's advocates about the rise in public harassment.  I imagine it all makes sense to someone, though.

IndigoPrime

It's a perfect showcase in why most politicians do not talk about policy. Corbyn says he would consult on ideas. One of them becomes the headline, and he gets slammed by idiots. Naturally, the other candidates then respond with generic rubbish rather than specifics, in an attempt to take the high ground.

The Legendary Shark

Men must fear women, women must fear men. Divide and rule.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

Surely the easy answer would be for train companies to provide some form of Security for their passenger's. If attacks are happening then why not put a Guard or two on the offending trains/platforms?

In fact, I know why. The greedy bastards don't want to spend any money, that's why!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

M.I.K.

Quote from: NapalmKev on 26 August, 2015, 04:27:13 PM
Surely the easy answer would be for train companies to provide some form of Security for their passenger's.

...and without security, gender specific carriages would be completely pointless anyway, (and possibly more dangerous if it means less people in one place).

M.I.K.

...or 'fewer' people or whatever...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: NapalmKev on 26 August, 2015, 04:27:13 PM
Surely the easy answer would be for train companies to provide some form of Security for their passenger's. If attacks are happening then why not put a Guard or two on the offending trains/platforms

It's not always as blatant as 'attacks', sometimes it's just being creepy, sometimes it's crossing the line into unnecessary in the whole squeezing/brushing past someone scenario.

I'm not saying a women-only carriage is necessarily the answer, but I can see how it might be made to work. If equality demands a men-only carriage as well, then that's fine because the sort of dicks who'd insist on sitting in it would be ones I'd be only too pleased to avoid.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Grugz

I understand a lot of attacks happen in crowded carriages but segregation surley isn't the answer, it tars all blokes with the same brush as the perverts and what about same sex attacks? we'd need a carriage for gay men and women as well , at least he didn't suggest one to protect people from racial hatred or we might as well be back off to jo'burg!
  I think women should get their own carriage but only when theyre on a hen do to protect the rest of us from the incessant cackling
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Grugz on 26 August, 2015, 05:44:02 PM
    I understand a lot of attacks happen in crowded carriages but segregation surley isn't the answer

Nobody's talking about segregation. What Corbyn's saying (and keep in mind that this issue has been raised with him by women's groups and he's only said he'd consider it) is that if women feel unsafe on public transport, might it not be an idea to have a place on a train where they CAN feel safe? Might a women-only carriage fulfil that need?

Jim

Professor Bear

Quote from: Grugz on 26 August, 2015, 05:44:02 PMbut segregation surley isn't the answer, it tars all blokes with the same brush as the perverts

Please explain.

It's worth pointing out that Japan has had these lady-only carriages for years now on privately-run lines because there was a commercial demand for them, and many female travelers (particularly schoolgirls and single women commuting during rush hour) find them indispensable.

Old Tankie

There I was thinking only Ukip wanted to live in the 1950s again.  "Ladies Only" coaches, presumably next to the guards van like they were in the 1950s.  I know he's keen to go back to the 70s with his policies, but the 50s!!!??

Joking aside, there have been plenty of women saying that it's a stupid idea.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 26 August, 2015, 07:06:48 PM
Joking aside, there have been plenty of women saying that it's a stupid idea.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that women who don't want to use them should be forcibly herded into women-only carriages.

Cheers

Jim

Old Tankie

Oh!  That's all right then.  :)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Old Tankie on 26 August, 2015, 07:06:48 PMJoking aside, there have been plenty of women saying that it's a stupid idea.
And plenty who've also said that it's at least worth considering, and it's good to have more of a discussion about the regularity of assaults (not least at a low level). But, hey, good to see the media once again ignoring the topic and using it to slam a loony leftie!