Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 December, 2019, 03:30:43 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 December, 2019, 12:53:43 AM
...Fox and Conrad recorded a commentary track to be played alongside the 1995 Judge Dredd movie...

Fox and Conrad?!  Double whammy!

I knew somebody would say that ;)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 587-590 of 2000AD, covering August and September of 1988. This episode 2000AD is going big! More pages, full color Dredd, and a record 10 different thrills! It's bad time for Fox and Conrad, but good times for everyone else as Hap Hazard, Rogue Trooper, Slaine, and Zenith return!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

PHew - cover image says progs 587 to 597 - thought you guys were accelerating for a moment!

WhizzBang

Thanks - it seems like a xmas treat to listen to SS2000 while relaxing at home instead of while on my Monday commute to work. Merry Christmas to Conrad and Fox, and a happy New Year too. In 2020 we should see you reach the biggest 'shock-surprise' moment in 2000AD so this is going to be quite a year for the Podcast.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 23 December, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
PHew - cover image says progs 587 to 597 - thought you guys were accelerating for a moment!

Oh jeez! I'll fix it when I can, but probably not until after Xmas :(

Quote from: WhizzBang on 23 December, 2019, 04:39:03 PM
Thanks - it seems like a xmas treat to listen to SS2000 while relaxing at home instead of while on my Monday commute to work. Merry Christmas to Conrad and Fox, and a happy New Year too. In 2020 we should see you reach the biggest 'shock-surprise' moment in 2000AD so this is going to be quite a year for the Podcast.

Thanks! Have a great one yourself! FYI there's a big special collection coming on Friday, so keep watching this space!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

I've lost track - is that [spoiler]Alpha[/spoiler] or [spoiler]Dead Man[/spoiler]?

Leigh S

Meant to add - the dialogue in Nemesis is (IIRC) taken from Pat Mills evesdropping on his teenage daughter's friends ( a trick he would also use in Third World War IIRC) - since Jenny is studyng for her A Levels, she is the same age as I was - 17 or so (which makes Torq's interest all the more disturbing). Despite this, I was as lost you you were 30 years and an Ocean away - bloody students!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 23 December, 2019, 06:16:02 PM

I've lost track - is that [spoiler]Alpha[/spoiler] or [spoiler]Dead Man[/spoiler]?

I think it's both! 1989 is crazy!

Quote from: Leigh S link=to pic=44366.msg1020164#msg1020164 date=1577126672
Meant to add - the dialogue in Nemesis is (IIRC) taken from Pat Mills evesdropping on his teenage daughter's friends ( a trick he would also use in Third World War IIRC) - since Jenny is studyng for her A Levels, she is the same age as I was - 17 or so (which makes Torq's interest all the more disturbing). Despite this, I was as lost you you were 30 years and an Ocean away - bloody students!

I definitely think it feels authentic, but like the upcoming Tyranny Rex it feels like going for authenticity and style over an easy to follow narrative.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 December, 2019, 12:53:43 AM

Happy Holidays! As part of the 2000AD Forums Advent Calendar Fox and Conrad recorded a commentary track to be played alongside the 1995 Judge Dredd movie, starring Sylvester Stallone, Diane Lane, and Armand Assante! All you need is a copy of the movie and you're ready to watch along with your chums from Space Spinner as we check out this much maligned piece of Thrill-Cinema.

Please let me know what you think, and happy holidays!

Well that was fun, but I don't know what weirdass speed version you were watching, I bought it on Amazon (1h36m) but I was constantly hitting the +10s to catch up with the dialogue you were referencing, though there didn't seem to be any actual scenes cut.

Fox - I can forgive a Trekkie forgetting the game "Paresi Squares" in the heat of the moment, but to follow with "I'll stop my Star Wars stuff now" -  ::)

Strange that you felt Dredd's trial incongruous as it's lifted almost directly from The Day the Law Died - Dredd's framed for murdering a journalist, the council votes him guilty, except Dredd doesn't go quietly, he crashes the prison shuttle into the spaceport and goes on the run.

Shame there was no acknowledgment of the film's coolest guest star, Ian Dury

Enjoyed it a lot though, certainly my most pleasurable watch for many years. Thanks guys for another year of thrills.
Splundig Vur Ho Ho Ho.

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah, we were on a digital version that was super fast, something I didn't realize until the day of recording, and we had to use it because it was basically impossible for Fix to find an English language version of the movie on short notice. I'm hoping we can do more stuff like this in the future and we definitely learned a lot of lessons from doing this one!

I had a lot of plans to talk about stuff as we went, but I should have known my best laid plans wouldn't survive contact with Fox! 😄

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare
Fox - I can forgive a Trekkie forgetting the game "Paresi Squares" in the heat of the moment, but to follow with "I'll stop my Star Wars stuff now" -  ::)

That jumped out at me as well (though no idea what the Squares game is - look like a take-off of that thing in Battlestar Galactica from my meagre research just now).

QuoteShame there was no acknowledgment of the film's coolest guest star, Ian Dury

I figure he's not as well known in the USA as he is in the UK.  Also look out for him in the second Crow film.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 December, 2019, 01:46:56 AM

Hang on a moment, I didn't know that - Ian Dury?!  Who did he play?  He wasn't the dude in the robot shop where Hammerstein first appears, was he?

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 December, 2019, 12:37:20 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 December, 2019, 01:46:56 AM

Hang on a moment, I didn't know that - Ian Dury?!  Who did he play?  He wasn't the dude in the robot shop where Hammerstein first appears, was he?

He certainly was!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 24 December, 2019, 12:39:01 PM

He certainly was!

Well I never.  There should be a thread for things that go over folks heads like this!

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm away from my usual posting facilities, but if you're going out these holidays, please let us join you!

http://spacespinner2000.com/2019/12/26/collection-23-the-ballad-of-halo-jones/