Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

So I finally finished reading Heavy Mob last night. What a strange collection of strips. It sort of feels like it's infiltrated the rest of the books, and even the fairly recent Wagner Dredd in the mix was somehow off and not that good. I'm very glad it's an outlier (so far)! Still, a third of the way through now, and I certainly don't regret subscribing after buying issue one in the local Martins.

Apestrife

Finished reading Judgement day just now. Top dogs was good fun. As for Judgement day, perhaps not my favorite epic. Just felt like a bunch of zombies getting punched and gunned. Would probably been better if smaller as well as shorter. Perhaps 3 eps with the necropolice massgrave instead of a zombie planet rising.

But I hadn't read it before and the art was quite good so it was alright I guess. McGruder sporting a minigun declaring to a zombie horde "Eat hot drokkin lead you worthless bags of vomit!" was also a new experience for me  :D

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 January, 2016, 07:34:16 PM
So I finally finished reading Heavy Mob last night. What a strange collection of strips. It sort of feels like it's infiltrated the rest of the books, and even the fairly recent Wagner Dredd in the mix was somehow off and not that good. I'm very glad it's an outlier (so far)! Still, a third of the way through now, and I certainly don't regret subscribing after buying issue one in the local Martins.

I agree, The Heavy Mob seems disjointed compared with the other themed volumes such as Target JD and Alien Nations. Great collection otherwise though.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 20 January, 2016, 07:14:08 AMI agree, The Heavy Mob seems disjointed compared with the other themed volumes such as Target JD and Alien Nations. Great collection otherwise though.
For me, it wasn't the disjointed nature—although there was that. It was a more that the stories were on the whole, for me, very poor. It was a grind to get through the thing, like some of the more recent Case Files volumes.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Not any more. Right now, I've paused pretty much all Dredd-related trade purchases (CFs at, I think, 21), until I know what will be in the Mega Collection. There doesn't seem much point in having both on my shelves, and for the most part I've been happy with the Mega Collection in terms of strip choice, repro and the quality of the actual books.

I already have too much stuff here, and although my wife isn't so much tolerant as quite enthusiastic about my collection, there are limits. (Our spare room's currently full of Rebellion/Marvel trades and 2000 AD comics I need to offload.)

robert_ellis

Just started reading Cursed Earth Koburn for the first time - great stuff. I was hoping the MegaCollection would show me some gems I'd missed and this is definitely one.

Spikes

Same here Robert.

Just picked up the latest two issues (Lowlife and C.E Koburn), and a quick glance through they look to be absolutely crackers.
I've read some Koburn and Lowlife strips before, but not a huge amount really, so it's great to have these books.
Been keen as mustard to read some Lowlife since the Titan strip started in Dredd. And great to see the quite recent El Maldito being reprinted in the Koburn collection.

Nice to have decent books for the older more familiar Dredd-verse tales, but when they are presenting stuff Ive not read before like this, then the Mega Collection is an essential purchase.

robert_ellis

I think originally hachette has said about a tthird of the books would contain material from the casefiles. I remember thinking that didn't seem like much Dredd - but I've been pleasantly surprised. I don't I realised just how many pages of art the likes of Esquerra & MacNeil had done. Oddly buying the MegaCollection has made me buy the prog & Meg again.

Geoff

Just finished the Koburn volume myself, having never read any before. Thoroughly enjoyed it. That great combination of action and humour that Ezquerra's art compliments so well. It's nice re-reading the classics but just great discovering quality Dredd gems like this for the first time. Loved Koburn's car - shame they blew it up!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 21 January, 2016, 04:47:31 PMI think originally hachette has said about a tthird of the books would contain material from the casefiles. I remember thinking that didn't seem like much Dredd
Although it's worth being mindful that these are, what, 200+ page books? So even a third of the series would be the equivalent of about 20 Case Files books. That's a lot of Dredd.

Mardroid

Look what came in the mail today! I'll show you the nicely boaeded envelope first as I like this image too:

And here is the Henry Flint print itself.  Not the best photo, granted.

Very nice. And free? I think there must have been a mistake placing it on the hatchette partworks website. Thanks for the heads up by the way.

IndigoPrime

Fair play to them for honouring the order. They're under no obligation to.

Tjm86

True, just a kick in the nadgers for premium subscribers.

rogue69

Got my print today as well along with 3 of the Marvel books they had offered free as they were apparently replacements for poor quality original releases

so it might be worth looking through all there other collections to see if there is any other items going free