Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

I loved book of the dead when it was first published and even if you don't like the story the art by Dermot Power's gorgeous.

robert_ellis

I loved the "beyond mega-city one" - gulag & Regime Change were new to me & in parts genuinely shocking. Book of the Dead is silly fun. All in all a great mix of stories & art with a perfect cover.

robert_ellis

As for speculation of the contents of the Judge Death Lives book...
Judge Death - 15 pages
Judge Death Lives - 32 pages
Revenge/Four Dark Judges - 62 pages
Theatre of Death - 12 pages
Dead Reckoning - 42 pages
so according to Barney that's about 163 pages - is there room for anything else?

Skullmo

What book will the irving death stories appear? Ill get that one
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Picked up my copy of Beyond Mega-City One yesterday, and a quick flick through reveals a decent enough book all told. Most of these Ive read before (Book of the Dead, and Emerald Isle was never really faves of mine, but we'll see what a re-read does....)
But quite keen to finally be able to read Gulag. Cracking art by the Adlard droid.

Satanist

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 05 February, 2016, 03:37:11 PM
I loved book of the dead when it was first published and even if you don't like the story the art by Dermot Power's gorgeous.

Read it at the weekend and the story is utter mince but the art is nice. Judges dressed as and named after Pharaohs. Wow.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

It might not be so awful if we hadn't already done the Pharonic thing way back in The Judge Child. As frequently noted, Book of the Dead is engraved in my memory like a cartouche that is made up of beautiful pictures, but actually reads 'Judge Dredd 1977-1993', and stands as the point at which I sealed the tomb and walked away.

IndigoPrime

This sums up the risible Book of the Dead neatly. Also interesting to see Molcher laying into these strips in the outro essay. Emerald Isle holds up nicely, though—one of the best Ennis Dredds; and it's a pity all the groundwork Rennie was laying for something more or less got lost when he quit Dredd. (What's with the mouths in Regime Change, though? And SUPER GIANT DREDD?)

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2016, 02:07:13 PM
This sums up the risible Book of the Dead neatly. Also interesting to see Molcher laying into these strips in the outro essay. Emerald Isle holds up nicely, though—one of the best Ennis Dredds; and it's a pity all the groundwork Rennie was laying for something more or less got lost when he quit Dredd. (What's with the mouths in Regime Change, though? And SUPER GIANT DREDD?)

I love that that is the one and only (brilliant) entry on a blog entitled 'Gruddamnit!'. The curse of the Mummy? You decide.

Satanist

Ha that's made the read worthwhile. You know out of all the stupid in that story I think it was the chains that upset me the most which I think means I spent more time thinking about it than they did scripting it.

I also LOLLED while reading at the conveyor belt fight.

Ach well at least I've still got Atlantis and the others to re-read.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Satanist on 08 February, 2016, 03:11:17 PM
Ha that's made the read worthwhile. You know out of all the stupid in that story I think it was the chains that upset me the most which I think means I spent more time thinking about it than they did scripting it.

In all fairness, Wagner did the exact same scene in The Day the Law Died, complete with Dredd going 'Yaaaaah!'
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

IndigoPrime

That'll be the one I linked to above! (Not that I mind more links to it. Frankly, every reference online to Book of the Dead should probably link to that review.)

Also, 'ancient Judda'? Just another example, I suppose, of Morrison and Millar not giving a crap about continuity. 40-odd years isn't exactly ancient.

Skullmo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2016, 04:55:52 PM
That'll be the one I linked to above! (Not that I mind more links to it. Frankly, every reference online to Book of the Dead should probably link to that review.)

Ohh yeah! I missed that. Fame at last!

IndigoPrime