Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 September, 2016, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 12 September, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 September, 2016, 09:09:55 AM
Quote from: Tordelback on 10 September, 2016, 03:21:50 PM
Don't believe I've read Killer Elite. Is that the first Bachman story (or alternatively a games spinoff strip smuggled in by those Kingsleys)? Intriguelling.
First appearance of Bachman was in the meg story THE FAMILY MAN with E-wing Leigh Gallagher.

I wrote Killer Elite.  No idea at all who or what Bachman is.
Ah ha! Appears we're at and odd crossroads, I was referring to Judge Bachmann (sic) as appeared in Trifecta and The Family Man before it, and assumed this was the character in question Tordels! My mistake! In contrast I don't believe i've read your Killer Elite story. :lol:

Yeah, that's it alright: I knew there was a Bachman story I hadn't read, thought that might be it, what with  her squad of, errr, elite killers.  From one of my many Megazine lacunae, as is Family Man the story I was confusing it with, so I haven't read either.  Thanks for the clarification Gordon and Hawk.

Magnetica

Family Man appears in the Trifecta Mega Collection issue - my favourite one so far.

Fungus

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 September, 2016, 11:03:12 AM
Family Man appears in the Trifecta Mega Collection issue - my favourite one so far.

It's fantastic, read this volume last week. The Family Man was an unexpected bonus. Didn't plan on buying any Mega Collections where I have the story but Trifecta is a justifiable exception. There may be more  :)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Fungus on 12 September, 2016, 11:48:31 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 12 September, 2016, 11:03:12 AM

It's fantastic, read this volume last week. The Family Man was an unexpected bonus. Didn't plan on buying any Mega Collections where I have the story but Trifecta is a justifiable exception. There may be more  :)
Reading Trifecta weekly was one of the best reading experiences in comics, for me. That moments between weeks where you start to suspect a link, assuming it'll be followed up years later...only for Dredd to segway straight into Simp. Amazing, absolutely astonishing.

Magnetica

Yeah nothing's beat that bit where the end of Dredd goes into Simping Detective - a real double take moment- and to then realise Low Life was connected as well all in the same Prog.

Just amazing and you're never going to get that in a collection but still highly recommended.

Echidna

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 September, 2016, 12:34:47 PM
Just amazing and you're never going to get that in a collection but still highly recommended.

Trifecta was before my time, but I bought progs 1800-1812 off eBay, rather than the collected edition, because I wanted to read it as it was originally published. Even though the nature of the connection had already been spoiled for me, it was a terrific read. It's a hell of a good run of progs all round, with Brass Sun, Grey Area and ABC Warriors: Return to Earth in there too.

How is Trifecta presented in the Mega Collection and the Rebellion paperback? Are the episodes in chronological order?

Fungus

Yup, I wondered that too. It's chronological. No breaks for the main section at all; title page tees up the 3 strips and they run into each other. Note they started in different weeks, some smart Excel work (Si Spurrier I think, from the intro) to plan it out. And how well it paid off.

robert_ellis

Getting back to the MegaCollection I'm halfway through Tour of Duty : Backlash and I'm very impressed. I'm guessing there's a book worth of material before this one when the mutants are let into MC1 and we see more of Dan Francisco?

Trent

There are 3 Tour of Duty volumes so based on the numbering this is the middle volume.
Plenty of earlier mutant related tales to fill another volume but the question is what will go in volume 3 along with Talented Mayor Ambrose and MegaCity Justice? They cover 120 pages so either a batch of the Megazine Cursed Earth stories from the run or The Streets of Dan Francisco as an epilogue. Not certain which I'd prefer but I'm guessing they go with the former.

robert_ellis

Cheers for the info - it was odd to lead with book 2 - but a great read all the same!

Apestrife

Quote from: Trent on 13 September, 2016, 08:26:47 AM
There are 3 Tour of Duty volumes so based on the numbering this is the middle volume.
Plenty of earlier mutant related tales to fill another volume but the question is what will go in volume 3 along with Talented Mayor Ambrose and MegaCity Justice? They cover 120 pages so either a batch of the Megazine Cursed Earth stories from the run or The Streets of Dan Francisco as an epilogue. Not certain which I'd prefer but I'm guessing they go with the former.

I'm thinking Hot night in 95. With the return of Hershey and people stoning one and another. Wasn't collected in the Mega Collection ed. of Day of Chaos 4th Faction.

Should add 30 or so pages?

robert_ellis

Any ideas on what the Greg Staples & Steve Dillon stories would be in the Cal-Hab justice volume?

Trent

Looks like Calhab Justice is up with Young Death. Bit of a Dredd-lite bundle after this month.
Not a strip I ever liked so thin news for me but the credits are interesting. There are 183 pages of Calhab which, assuming they print it all (which the credits suggest is the case) would normally fill a volume but also credited are Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon and Greg Staples which makes me think Innocents Abroad but I don't know what for Dillon.
With the page count now rising to 207 one would suspect a short tale but I don't see anything that fits.
Any ideas? Emerald Isle is the obvious candidate but is both too long and has already been included in Beyond Mega City One.

Trent

Aah got it! When Irish Pies are Smiling for the 1993 Yearbook.

The Monarch

Yeah put irish judge stories in the scottish collection

There is that stupid story with the killer bagpipes...raider was it?