Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

I am correcting myself it was called the chieftain

Timothy

But that wasn't Dillon. I seem to remember Mick Austin was involved although that may have just been the cover.

robert_ellis

Maybe that story is being saved for the MegaCity Musical Murders book...

Trent

Obviously appreciate that the additional stories I suggested are Irish based which to my mind fit better than anything else that fits the credits.
It would make more sense to have Kenny Who? tales but presumably page count prohibits this so he'll show up elsewhere if at all.
Irish and Scots fit under a joint Celtic theme.
The Chieftan was by Mick Austin - and shit.

robert_ellis

I think the selection of stories has been pretty great so far. I trust Kenny Who will get a proper outing!

The Monarch

Fair enough trent you do have a good point and yeah i reread it on my break it was shig

abelardsnazz

DSoTM is a great thematic compilation, with horror, murder mystery, action and some scene-setting in the early stories for lasting effects still being felt. I'll echo the earlier post about not always being able to figure out what's going on in Breathing Space, however it's got bags of atmosphere (ha) which every great psychological drama needs.

Will the early Luna 1 stories here be the earliest in the collection, as I'm sure I've read that neither Judge Whitey nor The Robot Wars will be appearing?

Now that Darkside has been included, what will be the back-up stories in the City of the Damned volume? In the Year 2120 must be a shoe-in, but what else? Other stories by the same artists? Any Kim Raymond fans out there?

Tony Angelino

Pity the Robot Wars won't be appearing. I seem to remember Ron Turner drew some of those although I could be mistaken.

Also I had totally forgotten about Kim Raymond. The name is familiar but I just cant recall his art style at all.

Trent

Re City of the Damned, I would expect Judge Child to be that story plus The Fink with City of the Damned leading off with Destiny's Angels and finishing with In The Year 2120. That would be a reasonable 2 volume collection of the Judge Child/Mutant saga.
Would love Dredd Angel somewhere (Mean Machine volume?) mainly for the art from Ron Smith but also for some significant plot setting re the Dredd clones.
Also, wonder if City of the Damned will have colour centre spreads. Based on the collection so far, must be touch and go for that.
Unfortunately I understand we have a significant wait to find out.

Tjm86

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 18 September, 2016, 06:44:03 PM
Pity the Robot Wars won't be appearing. I seem to remember Ron Turner drew some of those although I could be mistaken.

He did the opening episode.  A page came up not that long back on ebay.   There is also some Gibson artwork, very reminiscent of his Verdus stuff.  I would have thought missing out Robot Wars was criminal considering that it was the very first Dredd 'epic' and also relates to the Nero Narcos stuff in Doomsday for Dredd (albeit parenthetically).

Tony Angelino

I have to admit I used to love Ian Gibson's very early work on Dredd. For example the story which introduced Vienna. Absolutely some of my favourite Dredd art. At some point it changed and his art style became more cartoony. The helmet shape in particular changed.

I would add a picture as an example but I cant seem to attach photos as yet.

The Monarch

Yeah trent your right the judge childs stuffs near the end of the 80 volume run

robert_ellis

I'm really pleased that all the Lenny Zero stuff is being collected in Undercover Brothers - including Zero's 7. I remember liking the Ben Willsher art.

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 18 September, 2016, 06:44:03 PM
Also I had totally forgotten about Kim Raymond. The name is familiar but I just cant recall his art style at all.
Vaguely reminiscent of Ron Smith, Kim illustrated Gator, Bingo, the Interrogation and a few (all?) of the Rookie Judge Dekker stories - including the one about the Cyborg American Football team which is so badly affected by their contact with Dredd and Dekker that they unexpectedly lose the Superbowl - which (in another story, drawn by Smith) allowed Dave to beat the pundits and eventually become mayor.

Also responsible for one of my favourite pics of judges, lawmasters and the Mega-City all in one shot:

In other news - did somebody say that the moon stories are as early as we're going to go?  Where does that leave the Return of Rico?

Tony Angelino

Thanks for the post of Kim Raymond. I can remember him now as well as the Cadet Dekker stories.