Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Yes, The Hunting Party has not been announced as far as I know but there is a volume 41 sized hole that it would fit into perfectly.
I'd forgotten this was as much a sequel to Wilderlands as it is to The Pit.

Jade Falcon

I've still to start Backlash, but I got round to the Luna 1 book.  To be honest I wasn't really looking forward to it.  Not because the stories are bad, but the classic ones are ones I've read and I prefer to read stuff new to me.  As it turns out, the only story I was familiar with was the classic 'Judge Marshal' stories, but I could see that was only a certain amount of them.  Other stories like Breathing Space were good, as well as the Pyscho storylines were enjoyable.

One thing that's puzzled me, I, like others, I'm sure had wondered if the Fast Food Wars would have been restored to Cursed Earth, but it wasn't.  I know there was the whole lawsuit side, but I thought that sort of thing was allowed when used as parody, or did they just decide back then it wasn't worth the bother for such a small segment?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 03 October, 2016, 10:59:09 PM
One thing that's puzzled me, I, like others, I'm sure had wondered if the Fast Food Wars would have been restored to Cursed Earth, but it wasn't.  I know there was the whole lawsuit side, but I thought that sort of thing was allowed when used as parody, or did they just decide back then it wasn't worth the bother for such a small segment?

The Mega Collection edition of The Cursed Earth came out some months before the recent 'Cursed Earth Uncensored' hardback. The latter re-instated the Burger Wars stories as well as the ones with the Jolly Green Giant.

BPP

Rebellion ain't going to throw away all those bucks from the 'uncensored' version on a 3rd party release. And nor would we want them to... rather Rebellion get the money than Hachette.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Trent

No, suspect the version we have from Hachette is it. Not a problem as there are already elements outside the collection such as Enceladus (although this week's tooth makes me hopeful for the extension volume in a year or two), Every Empire Falls, Dark Justice, PJ conclusion, most one offs or shorts from progs 1 to 500 etc.
Thrilled to have the collection and regard it as a magical bonus where we may not get all of Anderson's stories (again) but are due 3 volumes of Missionary Man which is something I suspect I expected less than only Grennie. Bliss.

TordelBack

That Backlash volume is a corker. I know we've missed some of the Cursed Earth diversion episodes, and I doubt we'll return to them in the next volume, but it's great to see one of my favourite Tour of Duty stories, the Rennie/Robinson/Holden dragonslayer tale, get the hardback treatment. Strong contender for the best Dredd work from all three men, just love the whole thing. And interesting to see a possible descendant and antecedent of Felix Fortunatus finding his Sancho Panza feet alongside his prophecy-fuddled companion(s).

Also, Tour of Duty really is a terrific story.

Trent

I thought the lack of the extra Cursed Earth stories was a serious flaw in the Rebellion trades. They underline Dredd's situation and only collecting the Wagner penned stories made it feel like his exile lasted 10 minutes.
I'm expecting some of the Megazine stories in the third volume as there are only 120 pages of Tour proggage left.
Alternatively Streets of Dan Francisco?

TordelBack

Yeah, absolutely. I've said it on here before, but it's the side-stories that sell the whole idea of Dredd's situation being real and potentially permanent, an actual change to the status quo. It's almost a surprise when we get a 'Mega-City interlude', it all seems so distant and irrelevant. They're also fun tales in their own right, and remind us that the Cursed Earth isn't just any old radioactive desert, it's a radioactive desert full of crazy!

teckno viking

DROKK ME!!!

I Built my Mega Collection up by Buying someones collection then each issue that had me upto Date as of July.
I decided (feeling a Chump at present) to go Subscription as I have the first 40 issues and have a duplicate issue 40 and start there 30th July.

Still Nothing arrived so been on the phone as concerned. Apparently going out tomorrow but I am now going to be Always behind. As they do Not bring you Upto date with the Collection.
Yeah I know I Presumed LOL  I honestly thought they would send the girft, posters and Bundle of issues that would put me back on track.

On the topic of premium Posters, are they Actually £39 for the three or they taking the Drokking Stomm!

TBH I feel I should have carried on as I was doing as would be upto date even though I had to get issues sorted myself.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: teckno viking on 04 October, 2016, 04:20:41 PMAs they do Not bring you Upto date with the Collection.
When this series first started, they had a weird staggered approach to subscriptions, which meant I got mine right at the end of the run. The issue, apparently, was that they could not take two payments in one month, which was required to 'rebalance' my delivery times. When I gave permission, my next set arrived under a couple of weeks after the previous one, to get everything properly in sync. (I did all this via Facebook, note. I've never actually spoken to anyone at Hatchette over the phone.)

teckno viking

When you say Facebook I presume PM?

As for calling them, bad connections and Always an Indian voice. Very aware we have British Indian in this country but just seems odd Always Indian voices and so so connections.

Think I may try the FB route and get a clearer and easier to understand answer.

Apestrife

Quote from: Trent on 04 October, 2016, 09:41:13 AM
I'm expecting some of the Megazine stories in the third volume as there are only 120 pages of Tour proggage left.
Alternatively Streets of Dan Francisco?

Hot night 95 should -since it's not in the DoC bk.1- add 30 or so pages.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: teckno viking on 05 October, 2016, 10:20:15 AMWhen you say Facebook I presume PM?
Yes. I've contacted them via Facebook several times and although a few replies were in broken English, the vast majority were fine, and I always got what I asked for (in the end – not always immediately).

COMMANDO FORCES