Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

I don't quite go along with the colour argument given the inclusion of Shimura, Maelstrom, Creep, Calhab, Anderson, Low Life, My Name is Death etc etc but the dodgy repro might have something to do with it as well as a possible feeling that some early Dredd is aimed at a younger simpler audience than latter tales, colour or otherwise.
Even so, some very odd decisions.
I love seeing the older tales and one lovely, unexpected treat this collection has given us is the colour centrespreads in many of the episodes such as Oz, Trapper Hag and most recently Gator. Seeing these stories represented better than in the Casefiles adds to the whole feeling of justifiying such wholesale double dipping (obviously more like quadruple or more in many cases). Just a shame this only seems to extend back to the mid-late 300s of Progs. Apocalype War and Judge Child given the Cursed Earth treatment would shut me up about any other failings.
The recent Gator reprint gives me hope for City of the Damned, Dredd Angel and Midnight Surfer with colour.

robert_ellis

I was genuinely surprised that the Dirty Frank stories appeared in the MegaCollection before seeing their official reprint in MegaCity undercover 3. I've been amazed by the inclusion of recent ish stuff like Titan and sensitive Klegg.  Maybe the editorial team really does have a soft spot for Calhab & BritCit Brute. I'd love there to be a thread for storyline suggestions to be included should the series get extended. It's fascinating as a returned reader to see what gems I've missed.

Trent

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 11 November, 2016, 12:10:04 PMI was genuinely surprised that the Dirty Frank stories appeared in the MegaCollection before seeing their official reprint in MegaCity undercover 3.
I thought the same, but then by now TMC is barely on standard sale anywhere, but Rebellion's trades pop up in even relatively small branches of Waterstones and the like. So: different markets, although there's probably some impact on sales. (I've not bought any Dredd trades since subscribing to TMC, but then I assume Rebellion's making money from the collection anyway.)

QuoteMaybe the editorial team really does have a soft spot for Calhab & BritCit Brute.
God knows. I suppose the quality of a lot of material is somewhat subjective, but that Calhab book was just really hard going for me, in much the same way as Heavy Mob, most of which reminded me of the worst periods in the Meg's history. Klegg Hai! didn't really do anything for me either, due to so much of it being Maelstrom and The Corps.

There have been wobbles elsewhere. Chunks of Shimura didn't work for me at all, and I think Inferno's bloody awful. But the former for me is justified by some of the material being strong (and it improving significantly over time, not least with the Inaba strips), and the latter is a brain-free Dredd epic with some great art.

Still, for me, that's three books from 48 that I'd sooner have replaced with something else. Not a bad strike rate. It'd be interesting to buy Matt Smith a few beers and get his insight into the selection process, although I suspect Matt might find said conversation less interesting himself!

The Monarch

IndigoPrime

Trent

Monarch - you are Jim Alexander and I claim my £5.

The Monarch

I'm afraid not i'm just a random loon on the internet that likes calhab justice and canon fodder :lol:

Trent

I enjoyed Canon Fodder but mainly for the Weston art and the terrible puns. The story was a bit iffy.

The Monarch

Yeah the first series story was crap but the second one by kek w was really good i wish there was more doubt there ever will thanks to millar

abelardsnazz

Really enjoyed Wilderlands, the creative team clearly having fun coming up with the various creatures of Hestia. And the political machinations back in the city an indication of things to come in later stories - was this the first time they'd appeared to such a degree?

What volume number is Into the Undercity? Thanks.

Trent

abelardsnazz

Frank

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 12 November, 2016, 02:04:24 PM
Really enjoyed Wilderlands ... the political machinations back in the city an indication of things to come in later stories - was this the first time they'd appeared to such a degree?

There had been bickering within the Council Of Five, but the first hint I can remember of factions plotting within the Department was Grice's [1] failed plot to scupper the referendum after Necropolis [2].

That was really the beginning of the type of story we collectively seem to agree has reached the end of its useful life, where interdepartmental rivalries become the focus of the stories, rather than the citizens.

There's still plenty mileage in The Pit angle of treating the supporting cast as cop characters from The Choirboys or The Shield, but maybe not so much in the invisible Ninja academies that have always been there.

[1] Non-'roided Grice. Non-cackinglingly insane Grice. Plausibly motivated Grice. Well written Grice.

[2] 'Nightmares' (702-706), by John Wagner and Steve Dillon, and 'The Devil You Know', by John Wagner and Jeff Anderson (750 to 753)

Jade Falcon

Read Wilderlands.  I hadn't read any of this stuff before and thoroughly enjoyed it, though it's funny to see the prologue artists look of McGruder with goatee beard etc, in comparison with that seen through most of the Hestia based storyline where she looks like an alcoholic with her weird features.

The Mechamismo MkIIA's looked suitably menacing compared to earlier models.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov