Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battle Action Special 2022  (Read 719 times)

Barrington Boots

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Action Special 2022
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:37:16 AM »
yeah,  I looked in both Nostalgia (which doesnt seem to stock any Rebellion magazines any more) and FP, which had had a sort around and again, couldnt find any mags. 

I sympathise with you - Nostalgia in Birmingham is pretty poor now for Rebellion stuff and I don't think FP there even stocks comics anymore, although it's been a while since I went in. A while back my wife asked in FP if they had the Megazine and they'd never even heard of it.
Fwiw I gave up on Birmingham altogether, pre-ordered my copy from Gosh! - they're preordering signed copies too. The webshop cover is much cooler imo but can't justify £10 extra for it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Don't go away angry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2022, 11:41:28 AM »
Got this last week and it is well worth it! Some great stories, art and general vibe. The only slight wobble would be the 70s/80s Dredger, nothing wrong with it as it holds up a mirror to attitudes of the time and has some comic violence a la The Boys, but it does sit uncomfortably between the more serious 'war stories'.

I thought the Kids Rule OK was well handled and good to see some of Kev's more painterly pages.   
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2022, 03:15:04 PM »
Got this last week and it is well worth it! Some great stories, art and general vibe. The only slight wobble would be the 70s/80s Dredger, nothing wrong with it as it holds up a mirror to attitudes of the time and has some comic violence a la The Boys, but it does sit uncomfortably between the more serious 'war stories

I was just thinking about it on my way home today. It's very much the Garth Ennis of Hellblazer and of Billy Butcher, with all the violence and bullying associated therewith. 

Torturing the elderly and the disabled is beyond the nastiness of even the original Action and has all the crassness and shock value of the younger Garth's work. But... I liked it a lot, I honestly did.   You don't come to Dredger for a deep philosophical treatise. Besides, I recently watched Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter, and realised that 70s tough guy stereotypes can be far more unpleasant than Dredger.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Barrington Boots

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:31:41 PM »
My copy of this rocked up yesterday from Gosh and to echo what everyone else said, it's superb. The love for the original tales really shines through in the writing and the art is excellent.
This is the best special I can remember buying from Rebellion for a long time.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad City Blue

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Richard

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Beast Code WWW
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 12:37:57 AM »
Read it today and thought it was great. Kids Rule OK was very well done. I would love to see a multi-episode Nina Petrova & the Angels of Death story (by Ennis) in the prog.